Expat cleaning person?

CarverFan said:
But what will the pay be in three months time if it's 25 now?? Another 30% more, so 33 pesos an hour and then by the end of the year it will be over 40 and no one will have a maid and they will be out of work.
So is it really possible to pay 25 an hour today (in the thread two months ago, Perry et al said they were paying 20 and now he's paying 25).

Of course you will still be able to afford a maid/cleaner. You just have to slap an extra 30%, 40% on the charges for whatever goods or services you supply or demand 30%, 40% wage increases from your employer every few months to pay for the cleaning service - and to pay for the skyrocketing price rises in everything else you buy too.

MorganF - thanks for the info. I didn't know it was possible to put a part-time cleaning person en blanco. Learned something new today!

Uh oh, TheBlackHand and LAtoBA are suspiciously silent. Either they had late nights last night or they are pooping themselves at the thought of just how much they'll have to keep increasing their cleaners' wages by the end of the year so as not to be seen as "ratas".....

I thought the 15 pesos I was paying my maid was very decent... I guess I'll raise her to 20 now. She'll be happy

Funny guy. You pay what you want. Everyone does. But if you're paying under 20 pesos an hour in the Capital, you are indeed a rata. I personally like to treat my employees the same way I would like an employer to treat me. But if you look at cleaning staff as sub human labor that doesn't deserve that courtesy, thats all you.

CarverFan said:
Uh oh, TheBlackHand and LAtoBA are suspiciously silent. Either they had late nights last night or they are pooping themselves at the thought of just how much they'll have to keep increasing their cleaners' wages by the end of the year so as not to be seen as "ratas".....

Every year, there's gov't increases to the min salaries for housekeepers. On the average, the raises have been 22% per year for the last 3 years.

As a suggestion; aside from paying a fair hourly rate, make sure every year you give your housekeeper a raise that is at least in line with the yearly gov't increase. As mentioned here also, bringing a housekeeper en blanco is a fairly simple process and can be done for part-times as well. It's the fair thing to do, does not cost much, and will give you cover from any potential lawsuits in the future.

A word of advice my accountant gave me: Even if only employing your cleaner for a couple of hours a week, you should always pay the AFIP domestic tax (6-12 hours a week is the starting level).
That way you're covered if the cleaner decides to sue you later and says they were working for more hours than they were.

Thanks so much for the link and the forms! We tried to get our cleaning lady "en blanco" but were told that it was not possible as she worked less than 16 hrs for us. That she would have to pay her own contributions. Having this form is a great help.

That way you're covered if the cleaner decides to sue you later and says they were working for more hours than they were.[/quote]

This is true but what paying en blanco wont ever be able to stop is a cleaner suing you claiming she was injured at work so for all property owners who have cleaners, obreros, jardineros or whatever type of people who may enter your property to do work I strongly suggest ensuring your property is registered as bien de familia to protect it being seized as part of a lawsuit payout. It`s an easy enough process done at the escribanos and whilst there are some definitions to fulfil for your property to qualify I really think it`s a wise move in a very litigious culture.

I'll do it for 20 an hour...just as long each week is adjusted up for inflation by 20 percent a week.

Back