Expat Documentary Film

I agree that people in Argentina get a little P.O.'d when you refer to the US as "America." There is even a Facebook group called "the USA is not America." But, if this documentary is targeted at people in the states, I think "Leaving America" is a great title. It's catchy, reminds me of Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America."

My suegra and I debate this. We were always taught in school that North America and South America are separate continents. Most of my in-laws were taught that America is all one big happy family. But, in the end, I think that because the USA has "America" in its name, it's totally fair to refer to it as America. And I'm not an overly patriotic nut job. I love both of my homes.

Oh yeah, for all the Portenos that get offended when someone refers to teh USA as "America," please be advised that in Texas we don't like to be called Yanquis one bit! ; )

syngirl said:
I agree, change the title -- after 5+ years living here, I can assure you that Argentines consider themselves part of America as well.

Most of us are well aware of the fact that there are many Argentines who have ancestors from Europe, especially Spain and Italy. They sure talk about it enough, but I have never heard any of them refer to themselves or their families as "Spanish-Americans" or "Italian-Americans.".:p

Hi Ariel,

I wasn't able to PM you? Can you post an e-mail address where I can reach you at?

Thank you.

I hope the unanimous opinion that the blurb has either missed the point or was badly stated with respect to the contested words "economic bright spot" has given you some pause on the direction of the film. It's still a compelling story if told correctly. I've been here for 5 years and can tell you that the expat mood has changed dramatically during that time. It is now cynical at best and usually vitriolic with respect to our host country. I hope that you'll be honest in your portrayal of expat life here or we will hunt you down and force you to eat nothing but iceberg lettuce and salty meat for the rest of your life then irritatingly stand in front of you while you try to escape.

As for the controversy over "America", it depends on the context language. If it's English, don't hesitate to use the word as it's intended. It's only in Spanish that the argument has a basis. If it were called Irse de América the ruffled feathers would be justified. I got into a heated argument my first month here, and the whole thing was based on nothing more than an ignorance of each other's native language.

Hi. I came here to escape the coming economic collapse in The U.S. There will be a big severe meltdown in the coming year there, as the dollar's devalution and debt continue, and I don't want to be there when it happens. People will freak out in the US, starve, get depressed over not being able to buy a latte. But Argentines live in crisis all the time! They went through already what is coming to the U.S. People recovered here by doing micro-enterprise, knitting, artesenal baking, etc. Stuff Americans should learn to survive if they don't want to have to sell gum and Kleenex on the streets! As a widow, I'm here with my two children and love Buenos Aires, however, I get sick of getting the tourist price for things. I agree that there is so much stress here among the citizens and the inflation is a problem. (But the US dollar is falling at the same rate as the Argentine Peso! At least you can get married to whomever you want here, travel easily here without being gropped, searched or harassed.) I actually preferred Uruguay and am considering that for long term, and checking out New Zealand next. Yes, the Irish are leaving, record numbers heading for Australia, New Zealand to escape the turmoil. People need to be near a local food supply.
I agree that this filmmaker is a bit naive and needs to do some more serious research on this subject or get down here and investigate it himself, however, he is right about one thing. People are fleeing the United States of America in preparation for a Post-America world.

steveinbsas said:
I don't think that there are more than a few dozen of 20-30 somethings moving to Argentina from the US on an annual basis.

Nonetheless, there are at least a few dozen of us who moved to BA five to ten years ago and plan to stay. Thousands or tens of thousands? I really doubt it.;) (I took off the glasses so you all could see the wink.)

I fully agree Steve -- THOUSANDS of Americans (;) ie USA-ians) moving to Argentina? Very Questionable. Visiting, yes. Staying for a few months, sure. Moving? Not so much. I guess it depends on if you count a 3-6 month stint as a move.

There's a lot of people here on tourist visas, but if they really want to set up a business or start working above board they pretty much have to get legal. Unfortunately getting stats is going to be difficult --

However I can provide stats from Canada for the number of Americans going there.

They released the immigration stats for 2008 recently -- 11,216 permanent residency visas, 4,553 student visas, and 31,399 temporary worker visas issued to Americans to go to Canada.

I have a really hard time thinking that the number of Americans moving down to Argentina even comes close to the number of American students studying in Canada. It just doesn't make sense.

(For interest's sake: in 2008 only 542 Argentines were issued permanent residency visas. Only 73 Argentines got student visas, and 346 went to work in Canada on a temporary workers visa. That's not even 1000 Argentines. Americans are 4th in the number of permanent residency and student visas issued -- and number one in the amount of worker visas, no surprise there.)

CapnRick said:
Saludos: There's a lot of 20s-30s aged ex-banker expats staying in hotels/pensiones/short term rentals in BsAs and living off the US dollar income from renting out their Manhatten apartment for 5000 dollars a month. I think Playboy did an article on them. They're trying to live inexpensively while seeking banking jobs internationally.

That article was written a few years ago, 2010 is a different story.

SydSol said:
People recovered here by doing micro-enterprise, knitting, artesenal baking, etc. Stuff Americans should learn to survive if they don't want to have to sell gum and Kleenex on the streets!

I don't agree that many people in the U.S. will have to resort to selling gum and Kleenex on the streets. It is very true that a college degree doesn't carry the earning potential that it used to, but I don't know one single (educated) person in the U.S. that can't get a job decent enough to pay the bills. Almost anyone can make it by going to a State school and working to pay tuition, room & board, etc. I did it and so did most of my friends (Hook 'Em!!!).

Sure, many people will have to resort to a career that isn't in their field and doesn't pay as much as they grew up expecting. But having to sell trinkets on the street? I bet that will be left to the people who are already doing it. How bad does everyone expect this "post-America" world to be?

Hi Ariel,

I love the idea and I would love to be involved..NY transplant...moved here three years ago...teach yoga, ingles, and sing jazz....things are getting a bit tough here with high inflation for sure but it's a wonderful city full of smart, artistic and spiritual people...I look forward to hearing from you...un beso ivy

200,000 Americans living in Argentina? That might be the total number of people who have registered since 1960. Most have probably left. How many tell the U.S. Consulate that they are leaving Argentina? I bet ZERO. Also, many Argentines carry U.S. passports. Yes, they're Americans.........sort of.

Back