Expat wine group?

My Girlfriend and I are as well interested. We live a little north of the city so it might be hard for us to host, but would love to join. I dont think we can say that we are "connoisseurs" but we both love wine and would enjoy drinking more of it, and talking more about it.
It would be great to receive a when and where.
Also, We just smashed 20 kilos of white grapes from the home, for our homemade wine, however I am having a hard time at finding white wine yeast in the city, any suggestions? If I can not find it, it is going to end up more of as a Fermented Grape Juice. It will be finished in a few months, would enjoy giving samples!!

Drew

OK This is a total work in progress, I'd like community input on every aspect.

Frequency: 2x month.

Seems like a good start, we can see how this goes, maybe go to weekly or monthly depending on group interest.

Day: Wednesday, Thursday or Friday

Weekends are often complicated for many people, lots of conflicting plans. Lends itself towards a weekday. Plus its nice to unwind after work with excellent wine. Only consideration is that for some people 1 bottle of wine can be a bit much, especially with work the next day though I think this can be addressed in the next section.

Time: 18:30-20:30hrs.

Does 2 hrs sound about right? Maybe 2.5?

One of the big considerations is food. This isn't going to be a wine dinner. There should be picables to soak up the booze but lets keep the focus on the grape juice.

The idea would be people could head over after work, enjoy the wines, and then be out with enough time to head for some food.

Also, finishing before 9 would reduce the potential for a weekday event precluding hangover.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If this general format looks good I'll through up a more detailed proposal for an event.

I would suggest starting at 7:30 or 8 pm

6:30 is quite early, especially for those of us working here where offices usually keep going strong until 6 pm.

Ok this is good input. 730 sounds good. Any imput on the weekday vs weekend aspect?

PhilipDT said:
Ok this is good input. 730 sounds good. Any imput on the weekday vs weekend aspect?

Week day. I suggest Thurs as those who work in offices have the whole week to get their work done so they can hide under the desk on Friday. :p

Perhaps a good way to judge interest and availability is to have them once a month on a Saturday during the day and once a month on a weekday evening?

My personal vote would be for daytime on the weekends.

I'm in town early march till end of April. If someone already knows they are hosting next month, I can bring a wine to match the theme.

Is there much a wine scene (other than domestic wine)?

I'd vote for a weeknight as well. My wine group meets on fridays but its a good way to relax after work and the fact that its a weeknight keeps things from getting out of hand.

Hey everyone! I'd really like to join the group as well! I think weeknights are better in my opinion, is a great way to relax after work as Barnaby said

Back