Expat wine group?

barnaby33 said:
Is there much a wine scene (other than domestic wine)?

It's quite rare to find anything but domestic wines.

^^ as mini said foreign wines are pretty rare but they do exist here, you just have to look around. Grand Cru has the best selection but better prices are available if you look around. Like I said if this group takes off we might do themed nights. Me I'd love a bordeaux night but we'll probably start with argentina.

Wednesdays or Fridays starting from 7:30 have our preference with regards to babysit.

What will be the first theme?

Will be pleased to host future event as well. We're in Palermo SOHO.

Foreign wines exist, though due to the high taxes associated with bringing them in, you'll probably pay through the nose to buy them here. In addition, given the hot weather and tendency of wine shops in Buenos Aires to store their top wines in the window or under bright lights, the odds are pretty high that the great wine you remembered drinking in France or the US won't taste as good in Argentina.

The best way to have foreign wine in Argentina is to bring it to Argentina with you. Stock up on your trips to wine-producing countries and invest in luggage with hard sides. For most people, though, this isn't such a problem since interesting, great value Argentine wines are in abundant supply.

there is usually an expat meeting going on Fridays for Friday night drinks that has become very popular in BA. I would love to join in some wine meetings if that happens some other day. no age range I guess? ?:D

Monica

I would love to join; are younger members welcome? I'm 22 and am far from a connoisseur but just love wine! I agree that 6:30 sounds a little early... 7:30 is ideal :) I also vote for a weeknight!

I'm in! Wine writer/educator, would love to be a part of this. I spent three weeks in Mendoza and could definitely be of help when it comes to teaching others about Argentine wines/wines in general, and I'm not pretentious in the least. I promise! :)

Shameless plug... I have a blog about food, wine and travel... it's not BA related but considering that I've been living here since October, it definitely has a significant amount of BA/AR wine posts... http://sedimentality.com/. Feel free to subscribe/like it on Facebook!

AJisthenewAR said:
I'm in! Wine writer/educator, would love to be a part of this. I spent three weeks in Mendoza and could definitely be of help when it comes to teaching others about Argentine wines/wines in general, and I'm not pretentious in the least. I promise! :)

Shameless plug... I have a blog about food, wine and travel... it's not BA related but considering that I've been living here since October, it definitely has a significant amount of BA/AR wine posts... http://sedimentality.com/. Feel free to subscribe/like it on Facebook!

BOOOOO,no experts allowed...wheres the fun in knowing everything whereas the rest can barely distinguish red from rose...:)...also can we be ageist and restrict under 25s...please...

Back