Extension of stay and visa rounds

migraciones website info is NOT outdate. Give me an example?
On the Migraciones website, it's published that the required minimum passive income for rentista visa is 30.000 (treinta mil) pesos argentinos, and 1.500.000 (un millón quinientos mil) pesos argentinos for visa investment and 30.000 (treinta mil) pesos argentinos for visa pensionado.

On the Migraciones website, it's published that the required minimum passive income for rentista visa is 30.000 (treinta mil) pesos argentinos, and 1.500.000 (un millón quinientos mil) pesos argentinos for visa investment and 30.000 (treinta mil) pesos argentinos for visa pensionado.
If it says that on the website then these are the amounts buddy. 30k rentista/month and 1.5m for pensionado. No ifs not buts.

If it says that on the website then these are the amounts buddy. 30k rentista/month...No ifs not buts.
Yes indeed, the website does indicate $30.000 pesos per month income is required for the for the visa rentista.

That is about $250 USD.

I seriously doubt that migraciones will now grant a visa rentista based on a current income of $250 USD per month, even though in prior years they granted the visa rentista at "old" levels ($8,000 and $30,000) until they were official changed and the new income requirments were posted on the website.

That being said, there was a fairly recent post that migraciones is once again looking for a monthly income of $2.000 USD..the dollar amount that would have been required when the both the $8.000 and the $30.000 went into effect.

Last edited:
PS to my previous post:

On March 17 UraniumFever indicated that he saw the figure of $2000 USD as the current requirment for the visa rentista on Bajo:cero2?s website,

(I just used the search feature of this site to fid his post).

I also found this information, posted by me:

When I applied for temporary residency in 2006, the published monthly income requirmet for the visa rentista was $2000 pesos. At an exchange rate of just over 3 to one, that was less than $700 per month.

In 2010, when the exchange rate was 4 to one the monthly income requirment was increased to $8000 pesos ($2000 USD) per month. and the new rate aplied to renewals is as well as first time applicants

During the next four years the exchange rate continually improved in favor of the US dollar, so the monthy income requirment in USD gradually declined. Just pror to the next increase. the monthly income requirement in dollars had fallen to about $535 USD .

In 2014 the monthly income requirment for the visa rentista incresed from $8000 to $30.000 peos. The exchange rate at the time was 15 to one, so the monthly income requirement once again increased to the equilalent of $2000 USD per month

That amount also declined in USD as the peso lost value during the following years, but migracioes (has) apparently contiuned to use the $30.000 peso per month income requirement for a number of years.

There is no rule per se. I would say 3 months.I would suggest just doing a visa run. You said you have 2 nationalities. Why don't you just enter on a diff passport? Do the visa run at say day 80 and when you return they would give you a stamp for another 90 days -- worst case they count the days left and give you only 10 at which point. you go to migraciones and ask for en extension .
No, no, no & no.
The visa runs is something that can be done in the United Stated because their law some how allows it but in Argentina is considered a fraud called “fake tourist” at Decree 616/2010.
If you use different passports it is even worst because you are in the computer registered with name & birth day NOT passport.
The worst case scenario is they do not allow him to re enter the country.

Last edited:
PS to my previous post:

On March 17 UraniumFever indicated that he saw the figure of $2000 USD as the current requirment for the visa rentista on Bajo:cero2?s website,

(I just used the search feature of this site to fid his post).

I also found this information, posted by me:

When I applied for temporary residency in 2006, the published monthly income requirmet for the visa rentista was $2000 pesos. At an exchange rate of just over 3 to one, that was less than $700 per month.

In 2010, when the exchange rate was 4 to one the monthly income requirment was increased to $8000 pesos ($2000 USD) per month. and the new rate aplied to renewals is as well as first time applicants

During the next four years the exchange rate continually improved in favor of the US dollar, so the monthy income requirment in USD gradually declined. Just pror to the next increase. the monthly income requirement in dollars had fallen to about $535 USD .

In 2014 the monthly income requirment for the visa rentista incresed from $8000 to $30.000 peos. The exchange rate at the time was 15 to one, so the monthly income requirement once again increased to the equilalent of $2000 USD per month

That amount also declined in USD as the peso lost value during the following years, but migracioes (has) apparently contiuned to use the $30.000 peso per month income requirement for a number of years.
I believe it's still 30k. A friend was looking into this a few months ago and his lawyer told him 30k. Migraciones would need to publish a new increase via Boletin Oficial and there is nothing I can see. Until then the old rules are in place. Don't forget Covid changed the situation and increasing it was not a priority. I am sure at some point it will go up sharply. So it's good to take advantage of the low rate while it lasts.

No, no, no & no.
The visa runs is something that can be done in the United Stated because their law some how allows it but in Argentina is considered a fraud called “fake tourist” at Decree 616/2010.
If you use different passports it is even worst because you are in the computer registered with name & birth day NOT passport.
The worst case scenario is they do not allow him to re enter the country.
The first visa run is fine. If he/she is here for 80 days then they go to UY for a day and come back they will be let in. Worst case they are given only 10 days inn which case they go to DNM and request the extension. Visa runs become an issue only after one has establish a pattern of abuse. The first time it's ignored because there is no "proof" you are just traveling and one has the right to leave and come back as they wish...if the oficial at the border gives them another 90 days it's their problem not yours.

It would be interesting to see how the fact that DNM has stopped stamping passports would affect visa runs? Since all the info is now digital...there are not more stamps.

The first visa run is fine. If he/she is here for 80 days then they go to UY for a day and come back they will be let in. Worst case they are given only 10 days inn which case they go to DNM and request the extension. Visa runs become an issue only after one has establish a pattern of abuse. The first time it's ignored because there is no "proof" you are just traveling and one has the right to leave and come back as they wish...if the oficial at the border gives them another 90 days it's their problem not yours.
What's the point of making a visa run in the first place if it is possible to get the 90 day extension at migraciones ten days before the first 90 days are up?

I never made one, but I imagine that it costs more and takes more time to make the visa run than get the prorroga de permanencia at the office of migraciones.

I did get one extension and it was surprisingly quick and easy, and there was no risk of NOT getting a "new" visa at a port of entry.

PS: I got the extension about a month before I applied for the visa rentista because I did not want to have an overstay when I applied.

Back