Extension of stay and visa rounds

What's the point of making a visa run in the first place if it is possible to get the 90 day extension at migraciones ten days before the first 90 days are up?

I never made one, but I imagine that it costs more and takes more time to make the visa run than get the prorroga de permanencia at the office of migraciones.

I did get one extension and it was surprisingly quick and easy, and there was no risk of NOT getting a "new" visa at a port of entry.

PS: I got the extension about a month before I applied for the visa rentista because I did not want to have an overstay when I applied.
This is a good point. It really depends on if there is some sort of a time after six months that one needs to be out before they re-enter. After the extension one MUST leave. With visa run you can try your luck ;) Visa runs are still possible thou riskier the more you do it the higher the chances to get red-handed. I myself after being permaturista for 3 years was given only 20 days as the board official counted the days. I then went to UY trying my luck. They saw the stamp with 20 days and were wondering why they didn't give me another 90 days. I asked the lady to give me another 60 days and showed here my outbound flight. She did it. I left for 3 months came back via EZE and no questions asked another 90 days. After that I got residence because I didn't want to worry every time I left and came back. Generally after awhile all permaturistas will be given a nasty look and their presence here will be questioned by migraciones. In 98% of the time you get a warning. But you can always be rejected. That's why it's best to do those at land borders and not at airports.

Hi everyone!

I could extend my 3 months visa today and I would like to share my experience.

I was there (Av. Antártida Argentina 1355, Buenos Aires) at 11 am this morning. I had the keyword "prórroga" and asked the first officer with a badge I saw there. He redirected me to a line. There are two lines, when you get in the line in front of the building, you should ask the other officer with a badge you see there for "prórroga" again. Do not waste your time waiting in the wrong line! He/She may redirect you to the other line and when it's time, they check your passport and let you in the building. After you pass the security line with Covid precautions, another person redirects you to another line if you say "prórroga", but first he/she checks your passport (it must be a maximum of 10 days prior to your visa expiration date). I did not have the stamp on my passport so I showed him the email from Migraciones on my phone.

There was only one person in the next line and after some waiting -like 5 minutes-, I could talk to the officer I needed to talk to. He redirected me to another line after he checked my passport.

And this is the last line. You need to wait and wait and wait. After like 40 minutes of waiting, I could talk to the officer. She requested me to go and pay 4000 Pesos. "Cajas" is in the next building, they are easy to find. I waited like 2 minutes in the line for that "Caja" and I could pay.

After paying that, I returned back to the officer and she was waiting for me. I spent some more time filling in some personal information like passport number, address, and email. After that, she gave me a paper that describes how I can check my new visa status via www.migraciones.gov.ar.

It was very smooth and I also asked her about "Digital Nomad Visa". She helped me a lot and I am going to share my experience if I apply for that visa.

Back