Falklands Referendum

The problem is that, if Argentina should come to any settlement, they would lack an essential domestic distraction. In fact, Argentina should reimburse Britain for the cost of the war and additional defense costs since 1982, and reimburse the Islanders for pain and suffering.

This is exactly my point. If Argentina truly wants the islands back, they are going to have serious problems. I think most people in Argentina don't care too much about the islands, though.

Great! I'm sure that the Argentines, being proponents of fairness and international cooperation, will unanimously respect the will of the residents of the Falklands islands and that this matter is officially settled.

Oh wait, here comes Matias with his map.

Not even the US is recognizing this referendum... so go figure

Why would they need to? It's an internal affair.

I think you are been naive (or too young to remember). The US had a more than technical participation in the Falkland war. The fact that the Foreign Office expressed disappointment with the stance taken by the Obama Administration tells you something.

You are right in the sense that it was an internal affair that British people decided to remain British (no surprise!) and not even Argentina has something to say about it. I do not think the Argentine government claims that the Kelpers are Argentine.

The Argentine govt said that the Islanders are British but the territory is not.

Back