Feliz Dia Del Amigo

Not to disparage friendship, but this has always struck me as a strange "holiday." I don't know any other country that observes it, and it's not like Mother's or Father's Day, where the number of individuals is so clearly limited. My wife tells me that it's a recent invention since her departure from Argentina in the early 1980s.

Feliz Dia Para todos y Todas... Sure today Joe will deliver a can of soup and a Parka to his homeless friend...?

Last year I was invited by an argie chica on dia del amigo to Kansas Grill in Palermo Chico, the place was packed with young argies who were waiting to celebrate the amigo day inside the trendy American style restaurant. When I got there, looking at the crowd, I was wondering that if, a)these kids know that Kansas is a lousy place in EEUU, b)this stupid date is probably made up by argies, nobody else is celebrating it. Then I started getting text like feliz dia del amigo, I was like, what the heck, let's celebrate :)

Last year I was invited by an argie chica on dia del amigo to Kansas Grill in Palermo Chico, the place was packed with young argies who were waiting to celebrate the amigo day inside the trendy American style restaurant. When I got there, looking at the crowd, I was wondering that if, a)these kids know that Kansas is a lousy place in EEUU, b)this stupid date is probably made up by argies, nobody else is celebrating it. Then I started getting text like feliz dia del amigo, I was like, what the heck, let's celebrate :)

Kansas is one of the country's most backward states, and getting worse, despite a few islands of sanity such as Lawrence: http://tinyurl.com/bg48h4

Kansas is one of the country's most backward states, and getting worse, despite a few islands of sanity such as Lawrence: http://tinyurl.com/bg48h4
I once studied and taught at KU, in Lawrence. The students from nearby never traveled much, all the news they heard was whose pig got stolen in the neighborhood. But that was 25 years ago in 1990. I am sure it's much better now.

Back