Fibertel & Throttling. Is It Just Me?

I have a feeling that mine is miserable too, but I have chosen the path of ignorance rather than knowledgeable frustration!

If you can beat em, ignore em.

What service package do you have?
I know they throttle down once over quota.
Sounds like that could be our issue.

We're on the standard fibertel package. I think it's 6 megs?
Any idea what the monthly quota is? I wasn't even aware that there was one.

Router is currently showing about 100 gigs (75gigs downloaded, 25gigs uploaded) for the calendar month.
(sounds big, but that's probably below normal for us)

We're on 30 mb and the limit is 250gb d/l per month, after which it goes down to 3mb.
We never quite reach that but I imagine the same would apply to a 6mb package.

When I first came, since Internet is important to me, neighbors told me that people who work here get both. That way when one goes down--and eventually it will--you have the other. But everything went great for almost 3 years--but boy when I had trouble I REALLY had trouble and NO sympathy from Arnet. Nada! Even that Argentine respect for gray hair evaporated when I went to the office thinking I could get some results. Even the security guard was rude. But of course I was not the only one there that was angry. For anyone who trades stocks or does anything in which internet is critical or you could lose a LOT of money, probably having both is the best idea.

Arnet, funny. Ordered Arnet about six months ago. Got a modem from their outlet and am still waiting for service. Call every once in awhile just for the hell of it, "still working on it.

Did some experimenting with my slingbox account. Had a friend in Brasilia log into my sling box account in the USA to see what kind of download performance he was getting, solid 1.8 mb. I log into account 5 minutes later from Argentina and lucky to get .6mb. Know it is not all that scientific, but my conclusion is, bottleneck between Brasil and Argentina. Within Argentina, Fibertel performance is great. Internationally, it sucks certain times of the day. My experience.

I'm pretty sure now, this is traffic shaping (gone very wrong!) of some sort. And it does appear to be specific to me at the moment.
(possibly b/c most of my traffic is running over a vpn? That generally screws with traffic shapers)
I had similar experiences with Apple (mostly itunes) downloads outside the US. The question is if the traffic shaping is on this side, the other or both. Not too long ago there were some news about youtube slowing down streams to countries outside the US. So I wouldn't be surprised if Apple gave priority to main target markets - but that is just speculation.

Yep i had the same problem a few months back. Called them, spent ages in the phone and complained and although it didn't improve that day the following day it did and has been pretty good since.

Back