Finally, A Real Breakfast In Buenos Aires!

If only I could find a cafe that serves decent medialunas made with BUTTER -- light and fluffy and not the tasteless rocks routinely served in Argentina along with tasteless cheap coffee toated with sugar to dusguise its low quality! If Argentines could afford to travel they might discover that there is a world of taste and quality that they don't know exists. But then maybe they wouldn't. I know many wealthy Argentines who go abroad and resist any food that they consider out of the ordinary. A lot choose to eat at fast food places then they come back from the US and say how bad the food is in "Yankeelandia"

Excuse my ignorance, but is porridge like oatmeal? Cream of wheat? Grits? Never had it and always wondered.....

"Full English" breakfast is an institution in the UK, in that you can easily find places that serve it all day. Had to say that incase someone misunderstood. The same thing that is also served throughout the nation in Bed and Breakfasts where you know what to expect.

What is it.................a selection of images here
https://www.google.com.ar/images?q=full+english+breakfast&hl=es-419&biw=&bih=&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=ztcwU_PpF4y3kAeT1YD4AQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ

In Argentina we have to make do with a "not so full English"

Excuse my ignorance, but is porridge like oatmeal? Cream of wheat? Grits? Never had it and always wondered.....

Grits are dried corn kernels that does not have the hull (casing). Just the insides. It has a texture very similar to couscous and is best used as a medium for lots of butter, salt, and pepper. It would be weird to just eat butter, salt, and pepper together so we invented grits. :)

"Full English" breakfast is an institution in the UK, in that you can easily find places that serve it all day. Had to say that incase someone misunderstood. The same thing that is also served throughout the nation in Bed and Breakfasts where you know what to expect.

What is it.................a selection of images here
https://www.google.c...AQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ

In Argentina we have to make do with a "not so full English"

I make a Full English breakfast about once a fortnight. I even made my own baked beans from scratch on occasions. It took me a while to find decent bacon, but i`m still on the hunt for some bangers that are worthy of such a breakfast. I tell what I eat to some locals, and they think i`m crazy eating that for breakfast, "you have eggs for breakfast?". I tell them its the most important meal of the day and keeps you going. Perhaps thats whats wrong here, perhaps they need a decent breakfast and they wouldnt think so much about lunch?

If only I could find a cafe that serves decent medialunas made with BUTTER -- light and fluffy and not the tasteless rocks routinely served in Argentina along with tasteless cheap coffee toated with sugar to dusguise its low quality! If Argentines could afford to travel they might discover that there is a world of taste and quality that they don't know exists. But then maybe they wouldn't. I know many wealthy Argentines who go abroad and resist any food that they consider out of the ordinary. A lot choose to eat at fast food places then they come back from the US and say how bad the food is in "Yankeelandia"

Many Argies go to Miami and the first night out go directly to the Argentine Parrilla , Baires Grill.
On the other hand many USA friends ask me to drive them to Kansas resto for a Burger ...! and cole slaw.

The first step is to dispense with the myth that Argentines eat breakfast. They most decidedly do not. For example, witness yesterday's conversation between Mrs Rooney and a compañera:

Mrs Rooney: What do you have for breakfast?​

Compañera: Mate cocido

Mrs Rooney: What do you accompany it with?​

Compañera: Bread or crackers.​

Now could you imagine the same conversation transposed to supper? What do you have for supper... a glass of wine... what do you accompany it with... mutton stew. Utter nonsense.

i wrote to Heinz Argentina to ask them to import baked beans and that it would be good business for them. I had a reply saying they were considering it, but that was about ten years ago :( :(

Back