Finally, A Real Breakfast In Buenos Aires!

I have an Argentino friend who has traveled to London, Rome, Paris...several other places. If I'm not around to suggest restaurants, he's content with the local McDonald's.

I'm sure several of you know someone just like that.
Most people in the world are happy with limited food choices. I've gone from one extreme to the other. When I was a boy, I would be happy eating hamburgers everyday - and just the meat and the bread. Then I went to Uni in Montreal and I had a GF that made me eat Indian food. At the time, I couldn't believe anyone would actually enjoy eating that! Now I am at the other extreme where if I'm not in a large developed world city, I find the food choices extremely boring. Cusco is one of my favorite places because it's a small city where you have a lot of inexpensive international food choices withing walking distance. Some other places in the developing world with a lot of international food choices within walking distance: Banos and Vilcabamba, Ecuador, La Paz, Bolivia, HCMC Vietnam. In all these places you can find an English breakfast. I'd say Cusco probably has at least 10 places serving an English breakfast within walking distance of Plaza de Armas.

I tried 'going native' and breakfasting 'a la argentine' for the first two years here. It did loads for my street cred but zero for my stomach. Call it acclimation or call it me pushing on in years, but nowadays I am more than satisfied with my decision to flip Argie food the bird, because there are few cuisines in the world that deserve it more.

This is in stark contrast to when I lived in Mexico and could have literally eaten myself into the grave. There I adopted the local dining habits with gusto, and would gladly return to them (after my failed attempts to recreate them here).

In short, @Chet: IMHO going native is just grand for anyone travelling, but once you've settled it just becomes perpetuating a false culinary id with your innards being the ones who suffer the consequences.

@EdRooney
I am with you on that - but a lot depends on where you live. Where I am at this moment there is no Indian food at all, these was one Japanese but it closed ,,, and so on. (good thing I can cook, but still hard to get the spices and things) Moving to BA will be a treat for me, at least for a while.

Chet: Don't have too high expectations regarding the food when you come to B.A.. When I first arrived I knew nothing (first time in South America) and just imagined that - due to their history - you'd get all the good italian and spanish food in addition to the great steaks. I quickly realized that the mediterranean roots did not really show up in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong: you can find good pasta and pizza here, but you have to know where to go. Same is with fine dining: they have really good chefs here where you can get great tasting menus for a price you'd laugh about in Europe or in the States, but most places in general focus on providing what most customers want: cheap milanesas and empanadas and any dish where you can put some jamon and queso in it...
B.A. is in my opinion not the best place in terms of culinary diversity. For instance, I have yet to find a good thai, the indian restaurants I tried were just mediocre at best and also finding good sea food or sushi places can be a challenge.
I don't know the reason for this kind of food culture - is it the lack of getting good quality ingredients for the more exotic stuff or just the lack of a market - but if you compare B.A. with Lima for instance, the difference in terms of average restaurant quality is enormous in my opinion.

...and yet every local you talk to will say without doubt "..pero aca se come bien!"

Note of optimism, things are improving. I had a pretty poor Vietnamese meal a few weeks ago in Palermo. 10 years ago I probably couldn't have even had a poor Vietnamese meal. I'd say Argentina is on a late development curve for food.

There is a political or sociological (nacional y popular!) element to this, where as with so much else the focus is often on raising the minimum standard (carne para todos) and importing tools and ingredients can be a limitation in terms of price. Sometimes the holy grail of carne para todos creates barriers (even if its just psychological ones) to creativity. There is a lack of understanding in terms of how to season food (there are more herbs out there than parsley!) what fish and shellfish are for (I don't really like fish beyond tuna, so I live in blissful ignorance) and what the spicey and sour parts of the palate are for (beyond bitter aperatifs).

Once again, be careful criticising. You will here "pero aca si, se come bien! I just smile and nod my head. In fairness, it's lack of exposure to alternatives at the root of that.

The staples are good, they are done well. I have no problem with a well made milanesa, and obviously a parilla - ice cream combo is a thing of joy. I like (gasp..shock horror) the local pizza, once you demosntrate the mental agility to understand it is not the type pf pizza you are used to and I like medialunas. Beyond that there are a few good stews (locro, carbonada) and empanadas but at that we reach the limit and disappear off into the blandness of vegetable tarts (unseasoned...herbless!) and poor imitations of italian dishes. Sorry, forgot honourable mentions to some regional lamb/goat dishes cooked on the staked cross and the cruelly tasty baby pig / lechon.

On the plus side, meat is very well butchered. Offal is popular, even pigs are well butchered in the right places, and you can find chicken of a good quality once you know where and you can save money and have a nice sat morning in the sun if you short at your local feria itinerante.

If you like Sushi your best hope is to convert to peruvian ceviche. In general (not always) Sushi has become low quality cheese ridden (yep, cream cheese!) gut rot. Never particularly fresh. You can get good Ceviche though, in this respect you need to tailor your expectations.

In that respect I am still kicking myself for allowing myself to believe I could get a good Vietnamese meal and allowing them to rip me off for a shitty imitation.

Ceviche!! Ceviche!!
Boy am I looking forward to that. Love it and haven't had any in years. (no fish available around here to make it either)
I love Sushi too - maybe I can find stuff to make my own ?
I didn't get around to trying pizza when I visited before, is it perhaps more like real Italian without the tomato sauce?

The traditional pizza is nothing like Italian pizza. It has a very thick bready crust. Once you get past the fact you are not eating pizza it's pretty good.

You will struggle to find a fish monger with sushi quality fish, chilean farm salmon is popular, actually tuna a rarity. Forget about Sushi, it is not good here.

Note. Expats tend to be a bit hysterical about food and nostalgic for weird things like prison slop aka grits.

Back