Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

The thing about doomers is they are never wrong, they just change the date

If Argentine society hasn't collapsed by this time next year the posts will be "After a year and a half of Milei society is finally at breaking point, the brave people have held on for 18 months but now they are starving for real. Things are worse than I have ever seen them."

"Things are worse than I have ever seen them (2024 edition) 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028

The only thing that can put a pause on their apocalypse fantasies is another Kirchner government

I’ve just had a litre of stella, a porción of pizza and an empanada for $9.50.
You would barely get half a litre of beer for that in the states? Especially with the outrageous tipping culture that pervades the place.

But I hear the sky is falling.
I bought a maple of large eggs (30) today for $3.73 (AR$4500), and 6 bottles of retiredbanker's famous Nampe wine for $1.24 (AR$1500) each.

I'm not living in the street yet.

(Average price of a dozen large eggs in the US is $3.00 according to SoFi. Before I left the states 20 years ago, I can't remember being able to buy a bottle of drinkable red wine for less than $8.00.)

Please stop with your gaslighting of others who share different beliefs than you .
'Gaslighting is a tactic in which a person or entity, in order to gain more power, makes a victim question their reality.' I don't think anyone is trying to gain power over, or make you or any forum member with different opinions victims, or even question their reality. There is no evil hidden agenda. You are free to believe what you want. I believe that some food items are relatively expensive in Argentina and other items are relatively inexpensive here. It's pretty simple really. Apparently one can purchase a very drinkable bottle of wine here for 1500 pesos, possibly close to the least expensive price for wine on the planet.

Never occurred to me that some expats are invested (building a new life) in Argentina.

Thought we are all grumpy old retirees (hence Argentine haters). Retroactively I would have used a different tone.
Many Grumpy old retirees earned US$120/hr income in the 90's. Any price was dirt cheap.

For Argentine income ,,,, anything is insanely expensive. Rivaling California prices is Out of wack.

You can compare prices if and only if the day comes where salaries are comparable. Doesn't make any sense comparing prices now.

Many Grumpy old retirees earned US$120/hr income in the 90's. Any price was dirt cheap.

For Argentine income ,,,, anything is insanely expensive. Rivaling California prices is Out of wack.

You can compare prices if and only if the day comes where salaries are comparable. Doesn't make any sense comparing prices now.
For Grumpy old retirees (known here as haters, doomers, ,,,) Milie is not a religion. He is an experiment. Life does not hang on his success or failure.

I bought a maple of large eggs (30) today for $3.73 (AR$4500), and 6 bottles of retiredbanker's famous Nampe wine for $1.24 (AR$1500) each.

I'm not living in the street yet.

(Average price of a dozen large eggs in the US is $3.00 according to SoFi. Before I left the states 20 years ago, I can't remember being able to buy a bottle of drinkable red wine for less than $8.00.)
It helps to mention the point of purchase like , Province, barrio, super chain, Wholesale Dealer, Central market ? so we can all benefit..! I haven't seen Nampe wine below $2000 pesos since 2023? . Thanks

It helps to mention the point of purchase like , Province, barrio, super chain, Wholesale Dealer, Central market ? so we can all benefit..! I haven't seen Nampe wine below $2000 pesos since 2023? . Thanks
I got that price buying 6 bottles. In San Telmo, calle Chacabuco al 600, in the Chino. I don't know why it was so cheap, really. Usually when I buy a couple bottles, it's 2300. Maybe the price is coming down. They're not so good there with some of the price labels on the shelves.

The eggs I got in a kiosko near my house, also in San Telmo. I've been going out walking for exercise lately, three hours a day. To Boedo, Caballito, Almagro, Once, Puerto Madero, Barracas, and all others in between and close to these. As you might imagine, the prices tend to be much cheaper in general in the south part of the city. I see a wide variety of prices on my walks, especially in the verdulerias y carnicerias.

I found a new place in Barracas that only sells eggs. The smaller ones go for less than 4000/maple, the really large ones go for 5000/maple. The only problem with buying a maple, of course, is that you have to carry this big tray of eggs back home, but I want to try the place, just because I'd like to support a place that only sells eggs.

In three months, I've lost 10 kilos (22 pounds). Want to walk with me, Frank?

Back