Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

I will give it a try to purchase with my BofA debit Card less charges..!

The policy of a $320 dollar exchange for CC, is of great help for visiting tourists from non dollarized countries that had to buy dollar bills, to come to Argentina paying some extra fees. Namely Chile, Brazil, Colombia, UK etc.

W
it has nothing to do with the merchants having to enter your DNI, you CC can be identified as pertaining to a resident / citizen on the Visa side and a corresponding conversion algorithm will treat it differently. it's a very simple thing to implement - except nothing is ever simple i argentina, so the residents might be able to benefit from it for a some time to come or with some luck indefinitely
How will Visa/MC/AMEX CCs be identifies as belonging to a resident/citizen or not, if it's foreign and no AR DNI was provided to that card issuer? Just by the name and D.O.B.? Clearly I'm no expert, I'm just really curious. I'm not saying/implying you're wrong.

I'm curious about how Wise cards work here, since they work a little differently than your classic Visa. Anyone tried it?

W

How will Visa/MC/AMEX CCs be identifies as belonging to a resident/citizen or not, if it's foreign and no AR DNI was provided to that card issuer? Just by the name and D.O.B.? Clearly I'm no expert, I'm just really curious. I'm not saying/implying you're wrong.
You forget that when you apply for a residence or any type of visa you provide all papers to migraciones, passport would be #1. It is linked to your DNI in the migraciones DB and in as many other DBs as the government cares to trace you in. All the govt has to do is to pass the list onto Visa every so often.
That is not to say they'll do it, but as much as they'd want the greenbucks in, allowing argies and residents to benefit from it might lead to all kinds of speculations - one example would be buying the stuff with CC and selling it locally for lower price and splitting the difference...Similar to WU pickup => cueva dollars buying...For most expats it's not worth the effort, but it's definitely opening the door for all kinds of monkey business.

Back