Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

All your financials are surely linked to your NI#. People hugely underestimate the amount of information the big brother is collecting on each one of us. Snowden anybody?
CC transactions check security number + exp date + billing address to verify it used by the owner, but it only takes a few minutes for any average developer to slip your arg residence indicator into the code. Again, not saying it'll be done, just saying it's a piece of cake to implement if the govt here decides they want to.
This is simply untrue. I own some businesses that serve the public here and I can tell you from actual daily experience that the credit card terminals that process “card in hand” transactions DO NOT ask for, not require ANY personal information about the customer whatsoever. As such, in a setting such as a restaurant it would be impossible for the local government to know that a foreign bank issued credit card is actually owned by a resident of Argentina.

Assuming you aren't paying the 8%+ WU fee
WU has consistently charged me (in Argentina) between 5.75% and 6.00%. So, the Visa exchange rate is an relatively acceptable convenience.

In Colombia, WU charged me about 1.5%

Are Schwab still refunding foreign transaction fees?
Is this what you mean by "foreign transaction fees"? Schwab offers 2 types of accounts with unlimited ATM cash rebates applied to cash withdrawals.

(1) https://international.schwab.com/expatriate-essentials
.... using the Schwab One® Visa Debit Card wherever it is accepted. ATM fee rebates do not include currency exchange fees; fees imposed by merchants for POS transactions; or fees for stamp purchases, balance inquiries, or any transactions other than an ATM cash withdrawal from your Schwab One International® account. Not all products, services, or investments are available in all countries.

(2) https://www.schwab.com/
For details scroll down to Why should I bank with Schwab Bank?

I have the second type of account. I opened it in 2009 using my US address and local telephone number. That is also where I have been receiving my Visa Platinum debit card. It is now automatically renewed every 4 years. I activate it online upon receipt and retrieve it physically when I travel to the US. They have been providing excellent live customer service consistently when I contact them via Skype.

Last edited:
For pure debit cards, you might consider Fidelity Investments. At the end of each month they rebate 100% of fees incurred using the card, i.e. ATM and currency exchange fees.

Are Schwab still refunding foreign transaction fees?

I ask because my brokerage was bought out by Schwab, and they've said they're going to be rolling it all into one during 2023. I might be able to wrangle a Schwab debit card when that's all complete. The institution I am using now charged me 6 USD in foreign transaction fees when I used an ATM (years ago when the gap betwen BNA and Blue was not such a yawning abyss). It will be interesting to see what they do if I use my debit card for an actual purchase here, and what rate I get.
I can't recommend Schwab highly enough. You can open an account online. It's totally free, no monthly fees of any kind. They refund all ATM fees to you at the end of every month. Their customer service on the phone is excellent as well. Been using them for years now

I had a Schwab One account for years...until they suddenly notified me they were closing my account. Apparently, they weren't happy with the amount of ATM fees they refunded while I was keeping minimal cash in the checking account and didn't use or fund the required linked brokerage account.

Currently, I use First Republic Bank which is absolutely amazing and refunds all ATM fees, including the $10+ fees common at Chilean ATMs. I have a personal banker there who always responds instantly to any email I send and treats me with my piddly little account as if I had millions in a private bank. The only problem is, I believe you must open the account it in person and they are only located in NY, CT, CA, OR, & WA.

I personally haven't used Schwab but have heard from other Americans living abroad/people who travel a lot that if they get wind that your trip isn't a trip, i.e. you're living outside the US, and permanently, they won't hesitate to close your account. That being said, the stories I've read are from people explicitly outing themselves to agents, i.e. "I live in Argentina and..." or "Can I change my address to [non-US address]."

Card vs WU really depends on the country you're sending your non-pesos from with WU since rates are highest in the US. The Canadian WU site seems to work with US issued debit cards and I'm able to send money for a flat fee of $1.99 CAD ($1.46) for debit to bank account transactions with a US to CAD markup of ~0.5%, so for me there's no reason to my cards here. That being said, it's nice to have as an alternative, i.e. if I screw up when I send some money, or need to make a purchase while waiting for WU to update their rates, etc.

As for getting "caught" I honestly doubt this is a something people have to worry about. Big Brother may always be watching, but he really wants USD, and what's the government's argument legally? MC and Visa have opted in, as a consumer you literally can't opt out of this scheme, so you're not supposed to use the cards? What's their argument to a judge going to be "Your honor, this retiree used their US debit card at Starbucks." Plus we're t-minus 12 months until a new presidency, there's a good chance we'll return to having 1 exchange rate again making the entire scheme moot.

Like almost all things dollars related, the fear mongering is directed at people who are fully en negro, pay no taxes, and want to use a Payoneer or Wise card from say Spain or Italy or the US to get the MEP rate. They're the people AFIP is interested in since people with savings abroad who are either kosher with AFIP can literally wire their USD here, in USD, and then sell it on the CCL market getting a rate even better than the MEP.

I am back in town for few weeks. Since Thursday I used uber tied to my US MC with no foreign fees. Looks like I am being charged 169 pesos to $1USD.

Trip 1 1940 pesos = on my card $11.43
Trip 2 2040 pesos = $12.01
Trip 3 1470 pesos = $8.66
Trip 4 1480 pesos = $8.76
Update to the above - still no refund for Uber trips. Maybe because it is an online purchase?

I did receive a credit back on my card from a Coto purchase. I spent 37,449 pesos. I showed my DNI and charged it to my Capital One no fees. I was originally charged $217 USD, which is the official 172 pesos to the dollar.

Subsequently I received $91USD credit. Took about 5 days for the credit. So now I paid $126 USD for the 37,449 peso purchase, which equals 297 pesos to the dollar.

Which exchange rate is Visa basing their $1 USD to ~$305 ARS conversion off of? Or is it some type of agreement with which they offer a unique rate that isn't quite as good as Blue or MEP? I'm currently in the US and just bought some Buquebus tickets online with a Visa CC and was charged at that rate.

Last edited:
Back