Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

welp, i went to check again and sure enough - the transactions were posted as final yesterday but have now been corrected it seems, and now reflect the MEP rate. so it's working!

UK MasterCard still sending me "refunds" to make up the difference about 4 days after transaction. Got a bunch today and yesterday.
Hi, I heading out soon and was wondering how this all works. Do debit cards work or is it just credit? What rate are u currently getting to the pound?
Normally take dollars out there but if it is working smoothly will probably take less.

Having recently arrived in Buenos Aires for the first time in a few months, I seem to have noticed a greater propensity for acceptance of card payments than previously. Is this coincidental, anecdotal, or are places (at least in CABA) becoming more open to accepting card payment with the new MEP credit card rate?

this isn't new in my view. cards have been pretty widely accepted for some years now. the pandemic accelerated it as well

Just a data point. I used my Visa card from the USA to buy a new stove on Mercado Libre. Originally it priced at the white rate but then 3 days later it automatically corrected to a better rate. Not quite MEP rate but it was around 330 pesos to $1 US.

View attachment 8617
@zeno This is also still my experience using the Mastercard currency converter.

* The MC tool does not work anymore. Does not matter if try Ars to usd or usd to ars.
1 Argentine Peso = 0.0051779 United States Dollar
Your transaction amount of 335.00 ARS = 1.73 USDin your card currency

* Using Visa website for their card does work.

335 ARS = 1.008159 USD​

1 ARS = 0.003009 USD
1 USD = 332.289004 ARS

@zeno This is also still my experience using the Mastercard currency converter.

* The MC tool does not work anymore. Does not matter if try Ars to usd or usd to ars.
1 Argentine Peso = 0.0051779 United States Dollar
Your transaction amount of 335.00 ARS = 1.73 USDin your card currency

* Using Visa website for their card does work.

335 ARS = 1.008159 USD​

1 ARS = 0.003009 USD
1 USD = 332.289004 ARS
So Visa cards are getting the rate but not MC? Is VIsa giving the rate right away or are they refunding few days later?

Does anyone know if ATMS are still giving the blue rate? Do we need to use a certain bank/network?

Back