Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Still, it's hugely convenient. And TBH the last time I sent myself money with WU, I only netted about 329 after their 11% fee was added in.

Still, it's hugely convenient. And TBH the last time I sent myself money with WU, I only netted about 329 after their 11% fee was added in.
I sent myself $399 USD by WU yesterday and netted $344.

The fee was $24.99 (6.236%).

I made the transfer yesterday morning using my Schwab debit card and the funds were deposited into my Santander Rio savings account just before 6 pm.

I immediately paid off my Santander Rio credit card in full (about $125.000) pesos. The payment was credited to my Visa account before 9 am this morning (faster than ever before), adding that amount to my availble credit to make purchases that I will pay for a month from now.

I went shopping on Mercado Libre this morning, noticing a number of price increases in the 5%-10% range that happened just since yesterday. 🤠

Last edited:
I sent myself $399 USD by WU yesterday and netted $344.

The fee was $24.99 (6.236%).

I made the transfer yesterday morning using my Schwab debit card and the funds were deposited into my Santander Rio savings account just before 6 pm.

I immediately paid off my Santander Rio credit card in full (about $125.000) pesos. The payment was credited to my Visa account before 9 am this morning (faster than ever before), adding that amount to my availble credit to make purchases that I will pay for a month from now.

I went shopping on Mercado Libre this morning, noticing a number of price increases in the 5%-10% range that happened just since yesterday. 🤠

Sounds like you've got it all figured out, and wrangled yourself a pretty sweet deal. Congratulations!

Just made a payment on MercadoPago with my Chase Bonvoy Visa + DNI, lets see what happens. It was 25500 ARS. Will post results.

Just made a payment on MercadoPago with my Chase Bonvoy Visa + DNI, lets see what happens. It was 25500 ARS. Will post results.
My Visa purchases take 3-4 days to clear. Suerte!

In a way it's amusing that this is such a red-hot subject, the thread is now 44 pages long. OTOH, that article MilHojas posted at the end of page 43 says that foreign spending quintupled in January. That's a lot of extra dollars flowing into the BNA's coffers, and I expect that the government will do whatever it can to keep those shekels coming in.

Of course, with tourist season drawing to an end, that will slack off some, but I do suspect the shilingi will keep flowing, due in large part to people like us here at BAExpats.

Back