Foreigners (Tourists & Non-Res) Cannot Use Ars For Travel

I am here as a tourist, i.e. less than 6 months a year. I do come yearly and felt that it could be good to get my DNI. Pay in pesos for travel, get a bank account, get credit cards, pay taxes on my worldwide income and assets……ooops…..taxes not so good. Taxes here are very high compared to what I pay in the US and certainly don't make up the savings if I were to become a resident. I do support Argentina by paying my property taxes and ABL and of course VAT on purchases. This leads to my question - Do all of you who have a DNI (residents) pay your income and world wide asset taxes? Maybe an anonymous poll would be more appropriate for this question :=)

My wife and I do on our Argentine income (we don't have any income/assets outside the country). We consider this country our home for the time being so no point effing up the country more just because everyone else is doing it.

With that said though, I doubt all residents in Argentina, whether Argentine or foreigner, pay their taxes in full or at all.

The second half has to be paid with a foreign credit card or in dollars.

That is why, with all my respect, many argentines paid vacations full in advance, even for the next year, expecting that the price or/and restrictions were going to be higher.

Not true. I have seen not one example of having to pay hotel bills in foreign currency or via foreign credit card.

...I doubt the government would miss a few thousand permatourists, given that they are taking advantage of the blue dollar exchange, which doesn't really benefit the local economy in a serious way. It's a statistical anomaly in the grand scale of things.

Because it's only the permatourists who benefit! No Argentine benefits from the blue dollar, no one in the government or with ties to the government is trading or speculating! Ha

So in just one week, it's now harder for Argentines to travel outside the country, and harder for foreigners [who lives illegally in Argentina] to travel inside the country... FTS.

I edit your assert.
The answer is yes.

Not true. I have seen not one example of having to pay hotel bills in foreign currency or via foreign credit card.

I think that as it's a domestic (Bariloche) hotel, and they allow payment in cash with pesos, they are not going to enforce it. After the decree, I wrote to the owner, who told me that I could pay in pesos at the official rate. It's a month away now so we'll see if anything changes- I'll make sure to post an update!

I think the questions is who you're working for... whether it's a Argentine company that pays you 'en negro' or if you're working remotely, in which case you could work in any country as long as you are on a tourist visa and aren't helping a local company to break any laws... I really don't know what is the right answer.

Thanks. I am not aware of what the actual "legal" take is. I was only asking if it is illegal or not knowing that Argentina does not have "illegal immigrants".

Re: the 'if I can get away with it, I will' - When in Rome, do as the Romans do! :p

:) You and I think completely differently. But to each their own.

Re: the ALL CAPS: I was using it to add emphasis, I should have used italics. Also to get the attention of Mr. B_Cero who I'm hoping will confirm or deny my claim.

That is all!

That's fine. Complete misunderstanding on my part. I actually took your original "what is a permatourist to do" as a real question and was answering according to what I thought one should do, or I would do in such a situation. Should have realized it was rhetorical.

Who is telling you how to behave? No one is telling you to do anything? Your income and expenditure doesn't really move the needle on a national scale. From a purely unemotional point of view, and don't take it personally, I doubt the government would miss a few thousand permatourists, given that they are taking advantage of the blue dollar exchange, which doesn't really benefit the local economy in a serious way. It's a statistical anomaly in the grand scale of things.

You want to remain a resident of your home country, exist in the grey area of perma-tourism? Fine, no problem, all you have to do is make some purchases in a foreign currency if you want to travel. In all likelihood the restrictions in your home country are much more rigourous. I bet I can't turn up and decide to live there 6 months a year without actually being classified as 'illegal', unlike here where you are merely unclassified. Given the extremely advantageous immigration laws it seems like a fair bargain to have some small currency restrictions imposed.

Even with this relatively minor inconvenience you are still able to take advantage of an enormously fortunate set of circumstance, lax immigration and a tolerated illegal currency exchange (operating often with police protection!) which gives you a 30 to 40% reduction in the price of almost all purchases (save the occasional trip you make) in comparison to the tax paying residents of the country.

In short, know when you're onto a good thing.
Congratulations! You are good at jumping to faulty conclusions.

No one is telling me what to do? read this thread in its entirety.

As a matter of fact, as a foreign national you can turn up and decide to live in my home country 180 days a year completely legally if you have a tourist visa.

BTW: No single person's income really moves the needle on a national scale, so if nobody spent money or nobody paid taxes in a country it wouldn't change anything? you understanding of national economy seems to be somewhat lacking.

This only affects short term tourists. I dont think this affects people who actually live here.

It doesn t affect residents of Argentina. In fact it affects only to illegals.

This new rules is for you guys custom made.

Thanks. I am not aware of what the actual "legal" take is. I was only asking if it is illegal or not knowing that Argentina does not have "illegal immigrants".

:) You and I think completely differently. But to each their own.

That's fine. Complete misunderstanding on my part. I actually took your original "what is a permatourist to do" as a real question and was giving what I thought one should do, or I would do in such a situation. Should have realized it was rhetorical.

I like your diplomatic approach to forum discussions. ;)

I edit your assert.
The answer is yes.

No, no, no. Once again this has not been applied to travel within the country. This regulation is for businesses that need to convert pesos to USD via the Central Bank. There is a lot of confusion over this.

I stayed at both the Holiday Inn Buenos Aires and Intercontinental Buenos Aires in the last two weeks (a points-earning "mattress run"). Both stays were booked on the US websites with prices in dollars and the InterContinental was a non-refundable rate as well. I paid in pesos at the Holiday Inn and on my Argentine credit card at the Intercontinental. My address was listed in the US and not once was I asked about my residency or to pay extra, everything was at the official rate.

Back