Foreigners (Tourists & Non-Res) Cannot Use Ars For Travel

I think the questions is who you're working for... whether it's a Argentine company that pays you 'en negro' or if you're working remotely, in which case you could work in any country as long as you are on a tourist visa and aren't helping a local company to break any laws... I really don't know what is the right answer.

Re: the 'if I can get away with it, I will' - When in Rome, do as the Romans do! :p

Re: the ALL CAPS: I was using it to add emphasis, I should have used italics. Also to get the attention of Mr. B_Cero who I'm hoping will confirm or deny my claim.

That is all!

Italics are better, but I will cut somebody slack if it's just a few words in all caps - not all websites make it easy to use italics.

No problems at all with the local government finding a way to benefit from permatourists. Come one come all, no problem, however it's only fair that since you are paying reduced taxes in your country of residence (none outside of tax on purchases made at point of sale) that you help shoulder the burden in the form of handing over those greenbacks.

I am here as a tourist, i.e. less than 6 months a year. I do come yearly and felt that it could be good to get my DNI. Pay in pesos for travel, get a bank account, get credit cards, pay taxes on my worldwide income and assets……ooops…..taxes not so good. Taxes here are very high compared to what I pay in the US and certainly don't make up the savings if I were to become a resident. I do support Argentina by paying my property taxes and ABL and of course VAT on purchases. This leads to my question - Do all of you who have a DNI (residents) pay your income and world wide asset taxes? Maybe an anonymous poll would be more appropriate for this question :=)

This leads to my question - Do all of you who have a DNI (residents) pay your income and world wide asset taxes? Maybe an anonymous poll would be more appropriate for this question :=)
It is really too bad I can't give you more than one lousy 'like'.

If I had residence in Argentina it would cost me 127,000+ pesos a year in lost income, and I would lose a state guarantee for an investment.
I pay full taxes in my home country, something I cannot avoid except if I give up my citizenship.
Since March 2009 I have added 796,614 pesos to the Argentine economy.

I am f*cking tired of persons who think they know best and have the gall to tell others how they should behave.

This leads to my question - Do all of you who have a DNI (residents) pay your income and world wide asset taxes? Maybe an anonymous poll would be more appropriate for this question :=)

...the dastardly, 'if I can get away with it I will', lazy arsed permatourists have fought back delivering some fearsome blows, I don't know how much more the smug, holier than thou residents can take...

If I had residence in Argentina it would cost me 127,000+ pesos a year in lost income, and a state guarantee for an investment.
I pay full taxes in my home country, something I cannot avoid except if I give up my citizenship.
Since March 2009 I have added 796,614 pesos to the Argentine economy.

I am f*cking tired of persons who think they know best and have the gall to tell others how they should behave.

Who is telling you how to behave? No one is telling you to do anything? Your income and expenditure doesn't really move the needle on a national scale. From a purely unemotional point of view, and don't take it personally, I doubt the government would miss a few thousand permatourists, given that they are taking advantage of the blue dollar exchange, which doesn't really benefit the local economy in a serious way. It's a statistical anomaly in the grand scale of things.

You want to remain a resident of your home country, exist in the grey area of perma-tourism? Fine, no problem, all you have to do is make some purchases in a foreign currency if you want to travel. In all likelihood the restrictions in your home country are much more rigourous. I bet I can't turn up and decide to live there 6 months a year without actually being classified as 'illegal', unlike here where you are merely unclassified. Given the extremely advantageous immigration laws it seems like a fair bargain to have some small currency restrictions imposed.

Even with this relatively minor inconvenience you are still able to take advantage of an enormously fortunate set of circumstance, lax immigration and a tolerated illegal currency exchange (operating often with police protection!) which gives you a 30 to 40% reduction in the price of almost all purchases (save the occasional trip you make) in comparison to the tax paying residents of the country.

In short, know when you're onto a good thing.

I booked a hotel in Bariloche for February (Hosteria las Marianas as I mentioned in another thread). They indicated that the rate was $140USD converted at the official rate at the time of the stay. I already paid 50% via bank transfer of what was the official rate a month or two ago. What the hell is going to happen when I go down there? This just cannot be real.

The second half has to be paid with a foreign credit card or in dollars.

That is why, with all my respect, many argentines paid vacations full in advance, even for the next year, expecting that the price or/and restrictions were going to be higher.

I am here because I like Mendoza and its closeness to Chile. During the many years I visited before I moved to South America, I acquired many friends on both sides of the border ... I also like the totally disorganised society, which supplies me with interesting problems to solve.

I almost never do, and when somebody complains about e.g. the lower, subsidised prices the Argentinos pay, I explain why - tax money goes to subsidies.

As we probably all know, it is as illegal to work on a tourist visa as it is to work en negro like 55% of the Argentinos.
I do, however, not work. I leave that kind of entertainment to the poor, who seem to like it. :cool: :)

Thanks for writing about what you're doing here but

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]If I had residence in Argentina it would cost me 127,000+ pesos a year in lost income, and I would lose a state guarantee for an investment.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I pay full taxes in my home country, something I cannot avoid except if I give up my citizenship.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Since March 2009 I have added 796,614 pesos to the Argentine economy.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I am f*cking tired of persons who think they know best and have the gall to tell others how they should behave. [/background]

Sheath your sword, viking. My question was only directed to lucha54.

Particularly for non residents....! The Paraguayans that want to return home must buy the dollars at the Blue rate...!!

Most of them are residents. Or they can pay in their currency. The BCRA memo says foreign currency.

Back