Foreigners (Tourists & Non-Res) Cannot Use Ars For Travel

i just dont see why its so hard for people who want to live here to just go to migraciones and legalize their status. Life would be so much easier with a DNI.

not all permatourists are eligible for residency ... if you aren't from a neighboring or Mercosur country, or don't have a business, a job offer, a retirement account, an Argentine spouse/child, or a full-time academic program (or 2 years living here + 2,000USD or more to pay a lawyer for the citizenship process - granted that you WANT to go that far) what is a permatourist to do?

not all permatourists are eligible for residency ... if you aren't from a neighboring or Mercosur country, or don't have a business, a job offer, a retirement account, an Argentine spouse/child, or a full-time academic program (or 2 years living here + 2,000USD or more to pay a lawyer for the citizenship process - granted that you WANT to go that far) what is a permatourist to do?

I have an Argentine spouse who finds it easier to enter the country on her US passport. I've never even bothered thinking about residency, even though we own an apartment in Palermo. I don't fall into the perma-tourist category, though sometimes I go to Uruguay if that time is approaching.

Are you breaking any laws if you do the visa run every 3 months and keep your visit visa up to date?

For example, in some countries one is not allowed to work, legally, on a visit visa. What does Argentine law say about that sort of stuff.

If you are breaking laws then I'd say you should go to a country where you can legally live and work. That you're not from Mercosur, or don't have $2,000 US per month income, or don't have an Argentine spouse doesn't really serve as an excuse for "ergo, I am forced to break immigration law and overstay."

I don't mean you or other permatourists any disrespect by it but I can't sympathize with you guys either since I had to work hard for almost 2 years, even though I am married to an Argentine citizen, to get all the documentation ready and constantly visit the embassy and talk to the Cancilleria here to get my permanent residency. Because I wanted to do everything by the book. I'd do it again, if I had to, the same way.

So, if you are breaking laws of the country, then what are permatourists supposed to do? Make your status legal, or deal with the consequences, like having to pay in dollars for Buquebus and what not in dollars.

So, if you are breaking laws of the country, then what are permatourists supposed to do? Make your status legal, or deal with the consequences, like having to pay in dollars for Buquebus and what not in dollars.

I wasn't referring to the 'injustice' of foreigners having separate prices from locals for tourist services- There are a lot more consequences that permatourists have to deal with than just that.

I'm just tired in general of people saying 'legalize your status' when a lot of permatourists would if they could, or wouldn't even be here if it wasn't so easy to live here unofficially. I think that if Argentine customs weren't so lax, or if they tried to kick them out, then they would certainly try harder to find a way to stay (if they really wanted to stay that badly - many probably wouldn't find it worth the hassle).

As it's been said time and time again here on the forum and elsewhere: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN ARGENTINA. Only "irregular" status. It's totally a grey area. It just bugs me that people with residency-however they happened to get it- harp on others about being "illegal", and why don't they just.... and stop taking advantage of the system... and who the hell do they think they are.... like being a permatourist automatically means you have entitlement issues. If you're not Argentine (and maybe even if you are), it's not an easy place to live, neither as an 'irregular' or with a DNI. And everyone has their reasons so I just wish people on here would stop making generalizations/assumptions and shaming their fellow expats.

I wasn't referring to the 'injustice' of foreigners having separate prices from locals for tourist services- There are a lot more consequences that permatourists have to deal with than just that.

I'm just tired in general of people saying 'legalize your status' when a lot of permatourists would if they could, or wouldn't even be here if it wasn't so easy to live here unofficially. I think that if Argentine customs weren't so lax, or if they tried to kick them out, then they would certainly try harder to find a way to stay (if they really wanted to stay that badly - many probably wouldn't find it worth the hassle).

As it's been said time and time again here on the forum and elsewhere: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN ARGENTINA. Only "irregular" status. It's totally a grey area. It just bugs me that people with residency-however they happened to get it- harp on others about being "illegal", and why don't they just.... and stop taking advantage of the system... and who the hell do they think they are.... like being a permatourist automatically means you have entitlement issues. If you're not Argentine (and maybe even if you are), it's not an easy place to live, neither as an 'irregular' or with a DNI. And everyone has their reasons so I just wish people on here would stop making generalizations/assumptions and shaming their fellow expats.

First of all, ALL CAPS isn't going to help you much. Yelling louder doesn't automatically make your point a valid one.

Secondly, you were the one asked the question. I don't much care what your status is. And just because Argentines are lax about their rules doesn't mean its perfectly fine to break them. That's the same problem of "if I can get away with it, I will" mentality.

I assume from your English that you can understand that I was actually asking whether one is breaking the law of the country or not. My whole post is full of "ifs". Maybe you're seeing red instead of reading what I wrote.

And then there's this:

If you're not Argentine (and maybe even if you are), it's not an easy place to live, neither as an 'irregular' or with a DNI.

Who said anything about it being easy? And if it is so hard and you don't have any familial connections to the place...why are you here? I am genuinely curious. Don't worry if you don't want to share.

And everyone has their reasons so I just wish people on here would stop making generalizations/assumptions and shaming their fellow expats.

It wasn't my intention to shame you or anyone else, I honestly don't much care. Its always fun to see permatourists complain about how the government is screwing them over, as if the government here is somehow required to accommodate permatourists, but that is all it is for me, fun to read.

However, if you do feel shamed, then that is your problem, not mine.

So anyway, is it legal, or illegal for people to work here on visit visas? Simple question, no? I am not asking, and was not asking about your status with immigration if you overstay. I am simply asking whether working while on a visit visa, no matter how updated it is, is legal or not.

It isnt just Buquebus. It's also colonia express and seacat. Are all three of them Uruguayan? I also haven't seen this mentioned in the threads here, but did you know there is now a new 15% tax for non-residents who have local brokerage accounts? So, any sale that you make of peso denominated local stocks or bonds has a gross tax of 15% if you don't have a DNI. Good times.

Who said anything about it being easy? And if it is so hard and you don't have any familial connections to the place...why are you here? I am genuinely curious. Don't worry if you don't want to share.
I am here because I like Mendoza and its closeness to Chile. During the many years I visited before I moved to South America, I acquired many friends on both sides of the border ... I also like the totally disorganised society, which supplies me with interesting problems to solve.

Its always fun to see permatourists complain about how the government is screwing them over,
I almost never do, and when somebody complains about e.g. the lower, subsidised prices the Argentinos pay, I explain why - tax money goes to subsidies.

So anyway, is it legal, or illegal for people to work here on visit visas?
As we probably all know, it is as illegal to work on a tourist visa as it is to work en negro like 55% of the Argentinos.
I do, however, not work. I leave that kind of entertainment to the poor, who seem to like it. :cool: :)

First of all, ALL CAPS isn't going to help you much. Yelling louder doesn't automatically make your point a valid one.

Secondly, you were the one asked the question. I don't much care what your status is. And just because Argentines are lax about their rules doesn't mean its perfectly fine to break them. That's the same problem of "if I can get away with it, I will" mentality.

I assume from your English that you can understand that I was actually asking whether one is breaking the law of the country or not. My whole post is full of "ifs". Maybe you're seeing red instead of reading what I wrote.

And then there's this:

It wasn't my intention to shame you or anyone else, I honestly don't much care. Its always fun to see permatourists complain about how the government is screwing them over, as if the government here is somehow required to accommodate permatourists, but that is all it is for me, fun to read.

However, if you do feel shamed, then that is your problem, not mine.

So anyway, is it legal, or illegal for people to work here on visit visas? Simple question, no? I am not asking, and was not asking about your status with immigration if you overstay. I am simply asking whether working while on a visit visa, no matter how updated it is, is legal or not.

I think the questions is who you're working for... whether it's a Argentine company that pays you 'en negro' or if you're working remotely, in which case you could work in any country as long as you are on a tourist visa and aren't helping a local company to break any laws... I really don't know what is the right answer.

Re: the 'if I can get away with it, I will' - When in Rome, do as the Romans do! :p

Re: the ALL CAPS: I was using it to add emphasis, I should have used italics. Also to get the attention of Mr. B_Cero who I'm hoping will confirm or deny my claim.

That is all!

I am here because I like Mendoza and its closeness to Chile. During the many years I visited before I moved to South America, I acquired many friends on both sides of the border ... I also like the totally disorganised society, which supplies me with interesting problems to solve.

I almost never do, and when somebody complains about e.g. the lower, subsidised prices the Argentinos pay, I explain why - tax money goes to subsidies.

As we probably all know, it is as illegal to work on a tourist visa as it is to work en negro like 55% of the Argentinos.
I do, however, not work. I leave that kind of entertainment to the poor, who seem to like it. :cool: :)

Of course, the Argentinos get those subsidies whether they pay taxes or - more likely - not. Also, certainly not everybody who flies on AeroCámpora needs the subsidies.

Back