Francisco Time Mag. Person Of The Year..

I agree with you Sergio. I am Catholic (practising) but I should think that many people use rosaries and the outward tangible signs of Catholicism as a kind of superstition If you want to judge the Catholic faith lived out you should judge someone like me - how I live my life how I care for others and how I hurt others. I don't mean that in an arsey way, but as an invite. (I hope that doesn't open a can of worms!) :)

As for Pope Francis as man of the year. Do people want to give him accolades so they can feel that by agreeing with what he says they are being more loving instead of actually doing more for the poor and the marginalised themselves? It's easy to say how we love the fact that he showed kindness to the disfigured man but would we do the same? It's much harder to do it ourselves.. Also what about all the people that do such loving things but don't get public recognition? I'm sure many people here do lots of charitable works but it's not celebrated. All in all I don't like this 'man of the year' thing. It's too celebrity somehow.

I agree, Bono, the Man of the Year is too 'celebrity'. I also agree that people often do good works without getting any recognition -- and that to me is true humility. Ed Miliband, the leader of the Labour party in the UK, was recently interviewed on BBC's Desert Island Discs. He mentioned that his Jewish mother had been taken in by a congregation of Catholic nuns during the Hitler years. When she emigrated to Britain after the war a Catholic family gave her a home. These are acts of courage and humility - and probably ones that got no recognition.

If the guy truly believed in what he says, he'd divest the church of its real estate empire instead of propagating the legend of a 2000-year-old zombie.

And while we are at it, all of these religions for profit should be paying property taxes and income taxes and wages [with proper withholdings] to the worker slaves like nuns and such. Talk about a Ponzi Scheme these fakers don't even have product liability, can't guarantee delivery and offer no warranty. Nobody has even seen the product.

This Pope would probably like to divest the Church of some of its financial holdings but it has to be said that as long as there are people wealthy enough to buy it there is going to be a wide social gap, isn't there? And isn't it better that the proceeds from Church investments are applied to Catholic hospitals, schools, orphanages, and a myriad of social outreach projects? In recent years bishops have been selling off elaborate residences (Boston, for example). As for the "2000 year old zombie" comment (see previous post), one could make similar offensive comments about Islam or Judaism. Nobody is forced to be a Catholic or to believe in the tenets of the faith.

This Pope would probably like to divest the Church of some of its financial holdings but it has to be said that as long as there are people wealthy enough to buy it there is going to be a wide social gap, isn't there? And isn't it better that the proceeds from Church investments are applied to Catholic hospitals, schools, orphanages, and a myriad of social outreach projects? In recent years bishops have been selling off elaborate residences (Boston, for example). As for the "2000 year old zombie" comment (see previous post), one could make similar offensive comments about Islam or Judaism. Nobody is forced to be a Catholic or to believe in the tenets of the faith.

Plenty of people are forced into religious indoctrination of all kinds, but many (though not enough) are fortunate to escape or find their way out.

Parents have the right to raise their children according to their faith. In Argentina, with a few exceptions, religious instruction is seldom very aggressive. I know that in Saudi Arabia (and possibly some other Islamic countries) abandoning Islam is a capital offense. This is not the case in Argentina among Roman Catholics or any other faith. Anyway, I assume that your objections are not specific to Catholicism but to all religions.

The Pope should stop pointing fingers at Other Corporations, and declare that all Church Civil employees will get interest free loans for housing, free College education at Catholic Univ. plus free medical services for families, retirement at 60. :rolleyes: Set an example .Put your money... where your mouth is!!

Universal health care is strongly supported by the Catholic Church. I'd be surprised if there are many Catholic institutions that don't offer full time employees health care. Free education at Catholic universities -- interesting idea.

Universal health care is strongly supported by the Catholic Church. I'd be surprised if there are many Catholic institutions that don't offer full time employees health care. Free education at Catholic universities -- interesting idea.

FREE Heath Care with major providers and plus plus. interest Free housing loans ...!!! and a private pension fund, adjusted by the Congreso Inflation rate ,,,,,,YESS...!!

Back