Free Health Coverage For All In The City Of Buenos Aires

I had my first appointment today with my head doctor under the Coberatura Portena de Salud. The secretary phoned to ask me to come early for my 4:00pm appointment, and I told her I'd be there soon since it's only seven blocks away. The assistant took my blood pressure, pulse, weight and height for the doctor. The doctor saw a couple of walk-in patients first. I had selected a doctor from the list when I signed up for the Plan, but she was no longer attending at that office. I told the doctor that I needed orders for an annual blood test, eye exam, ear exam, and whatever else he wanted. He ordered a chest x-ray and EKG. I was in his office no more than ten minutes and left with five orders in hand.

The next step is a visit to the local hospital (8 blocks) on Thursday morning to present the orders and schedule appointments. I don't have to wait in line to see the doctors at the hospital. Then I'll return to see my head doctor in a month or so with the test results.

How much does this cost on the Coberatura Portena de Salud? Nothing. Who qualifies for the plan? Anyone living in the city of Buenos Aires who doesn't have medical coverage.

Seems like a great Plan

It costs you nothing. But you can be sure that someone, somewhere, will be picking up the tab.

Of course, someone pays -- WE DO -- when we pay 21% tax on all goods and services in the city. The city website provides details on the 2015 budget and where our taxes are allocated.

Ministerio de Salud - $15.5 mil millones

http://gcba.github.io/presupuesto-gcba/#/jurisdiccion

If the city provides free medical services to its citizens that we paid for already with taxes, then I choose to accept those services and not pay a private company like OSDE.

GETTING APPOINTMENTS FOR DOCTORS AND TESTS UNDER THE COBERATURA PORTENA DE SALUD PLAN

Once you have orders for doctor consultations and tests written by your Medica Clinica, you can proceed to your assigned hospital for appointments. The doctor consultation turnos are given at a window designated for Coberatura Portena de Salud on a specific day and hours. You must present your CoPS card with the orders on the day and time specified. My hospital gives turnos on Thursday from 8:30 to 10:00am.

I have orders for an annual eye exam (oftalmologia) and ear exam (ORL = otorrinolaringologia). I presented the orders at the designated window on the main floor along with my yellow CoPS card. After a few minutes, I was given a printout of the appointments with the orders, both for the first week of July at the hospital. (Last year I paid 400AP for an eye exam.)

You can either ask at the information desk or check the wall chart for the location of each department in the hospital. I checked the chart and found the cardiology, radiology, and laboratory locations, all on the main floor.

I went to the LABORATORIA where turnos are assigned from 10:00-5:00 for blood analysis. They require 12 hours fasting and are taken at 7:30am. You learn your way around the hospital and know where you are to return for your appointment. Test results are printed out when you return with the control number on the assigned date from 10-17 hs. (A year ago I paid 475AP at a clinic when I wasn't under any plan.)

I went to CARDIOLOGIA to request a turno for an electrocardiogram. The hospital has a designated day and hour for this, without a specific date and time. I'll take a number and wait my turn on any Monday at 14 hs.

I went to RADIOGRAFIA to request a turno for a chest x-ray and have one in three weeks. (A year ago I paid 200AP at a clinic when I wasn't covered by any plan.)

It was quite simple getting the appointments which are all without charge at the hospital.

Really? so who pays for it?

Do you spend money in Argentina? Sí? Then if you do nothing else, you are paying taxes. Lots of taxes. Directly, through the regressive 21% IVA tax, and indirectly, as the cost of everything is affected by the taxes that are paid by others. And the tax burden in Argentina has practically reached that of the US.

So.... you pay for it.

*edit -- I guess I should have read the rest of the thread before posting this.

In the public hospital closest to where I live in the province, health care is not free for everyone. In fact, there are three categories of patients, and two of them are required to pay.

Of course the poorest pay nothing and get medications at the hospital at no charge. Those making about $5000 peso per month pay a "nominal" fee and must buy all medications at commercial pharmacies. Individuals who have higher incomes pay more but I don't know exactly how much either income group pays.

I learned this from a surgeon that is on the list of doctors who accept Medicus and OSDE. He said the level of care is much higher with the private insurance plans, but at the public hospital individuals can get next day appointments to see a doctor (including him), but they have to go to the hospital up as early as five in the morning the day before the doctor they want to see will be available (some twice a week and others only twice a month). The appointments are given starting at 8:30 AM and everything is hand written. By 9:30 AM all of the appointments for the next day have usually been taken.

The surgeon advised me to get an ID card from the public hospital so they would have my information on file, including my blood type and who to contact in case of an emergency and I am taken there instead of being transported by ambulance to the private hospital of my choice. He also confirmed that the "level" of care offered by the private health care providers was better and that If I ever need major surgery, a private hospital is a much more desirable option.

The surgeon advised me to get an ID card from the public hospital so they would have my information on file, including my blood type and who to contact in case of an emergency and I am taken there instead of being transported by ambulance to the private hospital of my choice. He also confirmed that the "level" of care offered by the private health care providers was better and that If I ever need major surgery, a private hospital is a much more desirable option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plj82F4kY7o

If you have a point, why don't you make it?

Here are the lyrics to the song in the link:

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Fortunate Son Lyrics

Some folks are born, made to wave the flag
Ooo, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief"
Ooo, they point the cannon at you, Lord

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no

Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, y'all
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yeah

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no

Yeah, yeah
Some folks inherit star spangled eyes
Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord
And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer "More! More! More!", y'all

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no military son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, one
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no, no, no
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no, no, no

Songwriters: JOHN C. FOGERTY

Fortunate Son lyrics © CONCORD MUSIC GROUP, INC

http://www.lyricsfre...n_20034362.html

If you have a point, why don't you make it?

Here are the lyrics to the song in the link:

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Fortunate Son Lyrics

Some folks are born, silver spoon in hand
Lord, don't they help themselves, y'all
But when the taxman comes to the door
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yeah

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no

Songwriters: JOHN C. FOGERTY

Fortunate Son lyrics © CONCORD MUSIC GROUP, INC

http://www.lyricsfre...n_20034362.html

You can lead a libertarian to Google, but you can't teach him to read.

You can lead a libertarian to Google, but you can't teach him to read.

Perhaps you haven't read that I am not a Libertarian, though I doubt that is possible. You are too good of a stalker (and sniper) to let anything go by unnoticed.
emo32.gif

Back