Free Health Coverage For All In The City Of Buenos Aires

My wife is pregnant and we don't have health insurance, we thought we would be in the usa for the birth But her visa is taking a long time. We thought we would try to get private coverage here but Galeno won't accept a pregnant women, and OSDE wants 80,000 pesos. So we might go with the German hospital that want 23,000 pesos plus 2000 for their health plan. Supposedly there is a law, like Obamacare where they can't deny coverage for pre-existing conditions but they don't enforce it.

One thing is certain we don't want to give birth in a public hospital, Hospital Rivadavia is the best and it is pretty nasty.

I returned this morning to the Hospital Ramos Mejia in Balvanera for my follow-up appointment at the otorrinolaringologia department. I used drops in my ear three times a day for a week as ordered by the doctor.

I couldn't read the doctor's handwriting on the order. A woman helped me understand that it read, "lavar o. der" meaning wash the right ear (lavar oreja derecha). The nurse had already called for patients there for ear washing (wax removal). I let the woman at the window know I was here for the same. I waited for two people ahead of me, and then the nurse irrigated my right ear to remove the wax.

It was good to hear again with both ears after one was blocked for two days.

Once again, good service at no charge with an appointment at the hospital nearby.

The OSDE doctor I saw annually for several years for this procedure had a fancy waiting room with flat screen television and impressive art collection on display. He had nice furniture in his office and always shook my hand. His assistant handed him the instruments. He does surgeries in the morning and sees patients in the afternoon. I never used drops because he removed the wax build-up in a few minutes. I always waited long past my appointment time when there were no other patients.

I went to Hospital Ramos Mejia at 14 hs for an electrocardiogram ordered by my head doctor with Coberatura Portena de Salud. I knew exactly where to go in the hospital. There was no one in the waiting room, so I thought I arrived too late. Moments later a technician opened the door, and I asked if she was available for an EKG. She invited me into the room and said she had taken care of many people today.

The technician engaged me in conversation about where I'm from and why I'm living in Buenos Aires. The test was done in a few minutes with the latest equipment. Our conversation lasted longer. She was so pleasant and made me feel so happy that I gave her a hug before I left with the results in hand. What a lovely encounter! I walked all the way home with a smile on my face.

I recall taking a senior man of 80 years to the Hospital de Clinicas for an ECG a few years ago. First I had to obtain an appointment at a later date. Then we returned and had to wait for the technician. I saw the monitors stuck to his chest and legs. Then I returned a week later for the results. Three visits to complete the test required before he could have cataract surgery.

I'm completely satisfied with the attention I've had at Hospital Ramos Mejia under the free plan Cobertatura Portena de Salud. The next is my September appointment for the blood analysis.

When blokes availing this free service will have some teminal desease detected in the final stage at a public hospital, will they finally realize, how important it is to be insured in a good private plan. You pay heavily for years, just for that kind of situation, not for cleaning ear wax or doing ECG !

That is how insurance works. Many people pay for years together, for covering the same possible fatality, lest anyone of them, being the unfortunate one!

When blokes availing this free service will have some teminal desease detected in the final stage at a public hospital, will they finally realize, how important it is to be insured in a good private plan. You pay heavily for years, just for that kind of situation, not for cleaning ear wax or doing ECG !

That is how insurance works. Many people pay for years together, for covering the same possible fatality, lest anyone of them, being the unfortunate one!

Not to mention that if you do have a serious health issue and need to recover in a public hospital, say after an extensive surgery, there's no money to provide enough nurses to help you go to the bathroom or to bathe and feed you. You have to ask family or friends to come in every day to help you. Whereas in a private hospital your private health insurance should ensure that you get more care. However, public hospitals are necessary and the doctors are good. Shame on the leaders and politicians in countries that don't take health care for all seriously and don't provide public hospitals.

I'm completely satisfied with the attention I've had at Hospital Ramos Mejia under the free plan Cobertatura Portena de Salud. The next is my September appointment for the blood analysis.

The appointment card indicated 7:30AM after a 12-hour fast, but I know there are long lines of patients every morning at 6:00AM. I went early and was 12th in line at the LABORATORY window at Hospital Ramos Mejia. I thought I'd be waiting until 7:30, but a man starting handling the paperwork at 6:30. He entered each patient's name, DNI, and date of birth into the data base and the system printed barcoded labels for the nurses to attach to the vials. I received a barcoded label with my name, DNI, date and analysis code as a receipt, and the man suggested I want until Monday to pick up the analysis between the hours of 10 and 17,30. They have to be picked up within 30 days.

I waited in the next room for my number to be called by the nurse. A sample was taken and I was on my way walking home at 7:15AM. There was a long line of people waiting their turn when I left the Laboratory area.

I'll be calling 147 to get an appointment with my head doctor to review the electrocardiogram and blood analysis results.

I called 147 (which, by the way, offers assistance in English) and set up an appointment with my head doctor for Sept 10 at 14,30 hs. At the same time, I arranged my first appointment with a gynecologist for Sept 7 at 15 hs. Both doctors' offices are six blocks from my home.

I called 147 (which, by the way, offers assistance in English) and set up an appointment with my head doctor for Sept 10 at 14,30 hs. At the same time, I arranged my first appointment with a gynecologist for Sept 7 at 15 hs. Both doctors' offices are six blocks from my home.

I went to the Laboratory department at Hospital Ramos Mejia today for the results of the blood test. There were two people in line ahead of me when I arrived around noon. In a few minutes, I presented my receipt with name, DNI, and analysis code. The attendant entered something into the computer, and the analysis was printed in a couple seconds and given to me.

I had my first appointment with my gynecologist on the Coberatura Portena de Salud plan. I asked for the doctor and was directed to her consultorio in the rear of the clinic. I introduced myself to the doctor and she asked me to have a seat in the waiting room. In no more than three minutes, she called me. She took my data for the record, reviewed last year's test results, made an examination, and wrote an order for a test for control. She was cordial and helpful answering my questions. I was in and out of the clinic in about 20 minutes. I'll go to the hospital on Thursday morning between 8:30-10:00 when all appointments under the plan are assigned when patients present the order and their plan card.

With the CoPS, my doctors' offices and assigned hospital are walking distance. I used to allow hours for travel, waiting time, the appointment, and return travel. Now I can get to an appointment in 15 minutes and be home in an hour.

I went this morning to Hospital Ramos Mejia with an order from my gynecologist for an ecografia. I thought I would get the appointment at the window for CoPS, but remembered going directly to the departments for test appointments. I didn't bother to get in line where doctor appointments are given, and instead went directly to the window where ecografia appointments are made on the main floor.

There was a sign on the window about 50 appointments given out per day in order by number. A woman on staff explained that the technical equipment needs repair and apologized for it. They expect to be giving appointments again by October 5. She told me to return early in the morning to take a number for an appointment.

This afternoon I had an appointment with my head doctor to review the test results he ordered. I rang the bell and the doctor answered the door. He wasn't busy with a patient and had me enter his office immediately. I signed the appointment sheet to confirm that I was there to see him. He reviewed the electrocardiogram and blood analysis and made notes for his records. The appointment took less than ten minutes, and I was on my way.

I strongly recommend you guys go to the Fernandez, which is IMO the best Public Hospital in town. Its nice, easy access (its located in Palermo) and has great doctors, some of them very prestigious.

Back