From Boston to Argentina

Oh dear someone really needs to get their head out of the sand. Unless this post is a joke?

Economy has been growing and expanding since 2003 till today. Fact.

Records of cars sold, growing industry, internal market growing.

Hard data. Check out the world bank data, the HDI index, even the IMF says it.

YOU SHOULD CHECK BEFORE YOU WRITE.

Montauk_Project: I am curious as far as how much you get paid to write these things? I know there is a serious budget the for the government public relations on forums, facebook, twitter, etc. To say the economy is doing well, you gotta be insane and needing badly the services of psychiatrist (not a shrink) or to be handsomely paid. I know personally someone who has a 5000 persons staff to write these type of comments. I also do know his living standards (piso en Libertador). What I do not know is the salary of his staff.

Only just when you look at inflation.
What generally happens to an economy running inflation at 25%?
Growth is no surprise considering that the country had such a low base to start from.

Are you sure? http://focus2move.com/item/175-argentina-car-sales-in-july-2012-down-3-renault-up-fiat-down

http://focus2move.com/item/279-argentina-car-market-fell-3-in-october-2012-volkswagen-back-on-top

Basically Argentina is scrapping by when it should be growing much more.

Its a shame because there is a lot of talent and creativity here in the people. It deserves a better government.

Are you sure? http://focus2move.co...lt-up-fiat-down

That is 2012 compared to 2011. It was so high the peak of car sales per year in 2011, LIKE THIS COUNTRY NEVER DID IN ALL ITS HISTORY, and after some restrictions ecomomy in 2012 slowed down.

We were growing at 8% per year. Almost nobody apart from China grew that. And for long time (almost 10 years). And we went down into 2% this past year 2012, because if not inflation would have been too high. As I said before this inflation is partially explained by the strong demand, because there is money on the streets, because people have money and consume, and that contributes to the growth. This country cannot grow without inflation.

All social indicators went up. Even the HDI index. This country is totally another country like the one of 1998-2002 recession. You can see the economy rising in every corner. There are business activity, people movement, consume everywhere. In 2002 it wasnt no traffic at all, business closed, people stayed at home, streets almost empty. A very different city/country.

[background=rgb(249, 249, 249)] [/background]Zimbabwe grew at 9.4% last year, that doesn't mean its a great economy.

As I said before the 2001 crisis was a massive blow for Argentina and of course after this growth is expected.

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]And we went down into 2% this past year 2012, because if not inflation would have been too high"[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Its already too high and there are no signs of it lowering. They didn't slow the economy on purpose to lower inflation. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Brazil grows with much less inflation, not sure why can't Argentina?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Things were getting better but look how Brazil is leaving Argentina behind. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]​Its sad to see Argentina cancel its much need high-speed rail [/background]because it hasn't got enough money to pay for it and can't raise the capital from aboard.

The economy was getting better but I think its a bit shortsighted to pretend its 'rising in every corner' still or will in the coming years.
I wish things were better here but you can't really say things are great when the government is running out of money to pay for the subte and can't even repair the sidewalks.

I would like to see Argentina reach its full potential, it has a lot!

Argentina should be as rich as Canada or Australia.

Only just when you look at inflation.
What generally happens to an economy running inflation at 25%?
Growth is no surprise considering that the country had such a low base to start from.

Are you sure? http://focus2move.co...lt-up-fiat-down

http://focus2move.co...gen-back-on-top

Basically Argentina is scrapping by when it should be growing much more.

Its a shame because there is a lot of talent and creativity here in the people. It deserves a better government.

I agree that the country should be growing much faster and in a more healthy way and that is not well managed, but what matias say is true the country have been growing not the way it should have grow do that is true, but not because of the president just because the price of every export product that the country produce has rise outside the country and in the begining was due to the factory free capacity

Zimbabwe grew at 9.4% last year, that doesn't mean its a great economy.

As I said before the 2001 crisis was a massive blow for Argentina and of course after this growth is expected.

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]And we went down into 2% this past year 2012, because if not inflation would have been too high"[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Its already too high and there are no signs of it lowering. They didn't slow the economy on purpose to lower inflation. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Brazil grows with much less inflation, not sure why can't Argentina?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Things were getting better but look how Brazil is leaving Argentina behind. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]​Its sad to see Argentina cancel its much need high-speed rail [/background]because it hasn't got enough money to pay for it and can't raise the capital from aboard.

The economy was getting better but I think its a bit shortsighted to pretend its 'rising in every corner' still or will in the coming years.
I wish things were better here but you can't really say things are great when the government is running out of money to pay for the subte and can't even repair the sidewalks.

I would like to see Argentina reach its full potential, it has a lot!

Argentina should be as rich as Canada or Australia.

Argentina grew 8% for almost ten years. It wasnt just a year. Of course the 2001 crisis has to do, but still, we passed the numbers of the years before of the crisis.

Every country is leaving Argentina besides. Its a total fantasy to get back to the begining of the century and be the country we used to be. It cant be done. it just cant happen. So we have to realise what this reality says and not the reality of a houndred years ago.

About this: "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]They didn't slow the economy on purpose to lower inflation".[/background]
It was like that. Inflation is a tax and it hits a lot more in poor people. They had to calm down and chill out because if we continued at 8% of growth inflation would keep on climbing. Thats why they put the restrictions to imports, cut off the subsidios, the dolar issue, etc. And the result was of course 2% of growth instead of 8%. Brazil did something pretty similar (I believe they fell down to 3%).

About inflation is a very complex issue and I m not an economist, but this country has EVER had inflations problems, unlike Brazil and other South American countries. The only time inflation wasnt a problem was in the menemismo when 1 peso = 1 dollar and that was completely untrue and ended like it ended.

"I would like to see Argentina reach its full potential, it has a lot!"

This country has corruption as a cultural issue. It is very deep in our habits. From the businessman to the verdulero. It is not like something of a party or a leader or an economic model of society. This goverment is very corrupt. But so it will be the next one and it continues ad infinitum. I dont see that changing sooner.

The only solution I see to that problem is education, but that takes a lot of time and not so sure results.

I do not get paid to write what I write, please don´t accuse me of something with no proof. I came here in 2002. Now that was a DISASTER. No one had any work, or any plans, or dreams. Now, most of my friends (25 to 35 year olds) travel abroad regularly, buy cars, go on three week vacations, invest in equipment. They are not from rich families, but middle class families. And no one has access to credit other than credit cards with $3000 peso limits.
We have a ton of work coming in, and each year are better off.
The economy works in cycles in any nation. You have to adapt.
My boyfriend´s parents were able to retire thanks to the new retirement program. They could even buy an airconditioner with the new Argento card. And they hate everything K. If it weren´t from them, my husband (and I) would be supporting them, or they would have to keep working.
The hard facts paint a differnet picture. I think Clarin is awful, but I read it. I find it funny (or sad) that they spend most of the paper criticizing the governmetn, then the I eco section touts that the economic growth will continue, and stories of successful small businesses.
Are there problems? of course, we all know what they are.
If you want to live off of dollars from abroad, then the economy is going poorly because everything is more expensive.
If you are used to the way things used to be run, are part of the economic elite, then you will see things going poorly.
Even the "campo" complains and they are rolling in money.
I get tons of CVs from people from Spain and the US looking for work. My friends in NY (Ivy Leaguers) are struggling.
I don´t support any political plan but I think it important to put things in perspective, and to not accuse someone of getting kick backs because they don´t agree with you. I understand why people on this list criticize the economy now, because it doesn´t bennefit them (not because Papel Prensa is giving you a payday). The people I know are doing well, I am doing well, my neighbors are doing well, and the stats show this out.
Might this change? Yes, but I am not praying for a disaster like so many on the right are doing at this moment. I hope and work for the best.

From what I can see the economy is better than it was and its not too bad at the moment but its funny to read posts form those who paint a rosy picture here.

Montauk_Project: I am curious as far as how much you get paid to write these things? I know there is a serious budget the for the government public relations on forums, facebook, twitter, etc. To say the economy is doing well, you gotta be insane and needing badly the services of psychiatrist (not a shrink) or to be handsomely paid. I know personally someone who has a 5000 persons staff to write these type of comments. I also do know his living standards (piso en Libertador). What I do not know is the salary of his staff.

Haha quite a bit, perhaps thats how she can survive a 'Documentary film director'

Back