Germanwings Crash In Alps

Some new info indicates that the co-pilot suffered from depression and was under intense psychiatric treatment for one and a half years.

Germanwings co-pilot had serious depressive episode: Bild newspaper

If they let a pilot fly who was under psychiatric treatment that will be a really bad thing. The question will be could the airline have known about it? Was the doctor required to disclose the treatment? Did the pilot hide his profession from the doctor? Pilots are required to disclose anything (including mental health issues) that will hinder their fitness to fly under threat of termination. If you get a speeding ticket that is reported to the airlines. A DUI is practically a firing notice. If I had sinusitis I was grounded in the military.

While I admire Lufthansa and fly them often, I also think that this might be a "cover up"of something else that wasn't the co-pilots fault.Does anyone else think this?

Apparently the copilot should not have been able to fly that day. During the police raid of his home, they found a certificate for a sickness leave, but it was torn apart. Due to medical confidentiality, a regular doctor would not be able to inform the airline, even if he knew about his profession. All evidence so far indicates that he was hiding his condition from his employer. What I just don't get is if he really wants to commit suicide, why take so many innocent lives with you and not just take a flight on the weekend alone (he was hobby pilot too) and just make the decision for yourself...

What I just don't get is if he really wants to commit suicide, why take so many innocent lives with you and not just take a flight on the weekend alone (he was hobby pilot too) and just make the decision for yourself...

because he was crazy?

Sued for what? So far, I cannot see any wrongdoing from anyone except the copilot.

_Citing internal documents and Lufthansa sources, Bild said Lubitz spent a total of one and a half years in psychiatric treatment and that the relevant documents would be passed to French investigators once they had been examined by German authorities._

So if Lufthansa/Germanwing knew about this co-pilot going through this psychatric treatment, then the airliners are negligible for its account?

Back