Get your pots out for the lads!

ndcj said:
Not really "against the cacerolazos", but more "pro funny pictures" :D But seriously, do you really think these people are protesting against corruption and other political malfeasance or maladministration, or are they just protesting because it's hitting them in the (dollar filled) hip pocket?

This is not a demographic traditionally known for their political or social conscience. If it's not fueled by nothing other than blatant self-interest, then where was the movement before they stopped people buying dollars? Though, of course, this is an important human right, the ability to buy foreign currency. :confused:

Come on, at the very least, you've got to admit it's quite humorous, especially tips 8 and 10.

Additionally, I'd like to leave you with this: :D

"Use your words" is a really annoying, condescending expression which I shouldn't have used. I apologize. And thank's for the shit-eating grin. Really. I need it. But here's why I seem to have lost my sense of humor. The cartoon and the "manual" remind me of all the ways the Ks have over the years (more or less since '07) tried to spin any criticism or opposition as "destituyente", "golpista", "gorila", etc. Pando is against us: you're against us: therefore you must be in favor of Pando. It's analagous to the why-do-you-hate-America response to anyone who had anything critical to say about GWB circa 2004. "I don't hate America! I just don't think bombing Iraq is a good idea." Likewise, not everyone who disagrees with Moreno's handling of the economy is a member of the puta oligarchia. And the images you posted seem to leave no room for those people. The people in my building who go bang pots are not rich. They're middle-class people who are just trying to find a way to tread water against inflation, or buy U$S1000 to go to a conference in Columbia, or pay the rent. Is that so bad? They don't deserve to be caricatured and vilified. From a social-science point of view, yes, they belong to a "demographic". But they are also individuals.

Steveinbsas: Agitprop is too strong and is out of place in this forum. But I think ham-fisted is a perfectly good word. But then so is clumsy.

Now, I think I'll go to bed and hope I wake up with a sense of humor.:D

Just before the last election there were many parties here with free food and other things free.. I live in a slum so I have seen things you would not normally see or understand around here.

I watched the poorest walking out with bags full of free food. They were lined up to receive. The walls painted with artistic images of Peron and well you know who... I was corrected because at first I thought the painting of Peron were Chavez.. a few days later the votes were laid down.

How can anyone compete with that politically.. in a nation where hunger rules. And the current party feeds the masses of the poor.. And the masses of the hungry well overcome the few educated and able. And the few educated and able have no heart for the poor so divided they can never succeed.

I think the saddest thing I have seen in Argentina next to the poor is the educated hard working young men that I know will be to some extent hindered by the poverty and politics here. There is no way most of them will be everything they could be because nothing works here.

Nothing flows here.. Everything is snagged in 3rd world lack. The only way out is education and that enforced by law. This may or may not ever happen. Yes there is education here but many do no participate.

But what really wakes me up is that I know men that are so poor it would blow your mind but here they are good men.. with honor. Almost shocking for me. Hard to understand, they cover my back. They have no education cannot understand what I understand. And I do not mean that to insult them, they cannot read and write but they are so pure.. Very hard to explain unless you live in it.

Matt84 said:
I would like to slap Tom into the 18th century not for months but just for one moment and see what becomes of his ideas..

Oh and one more thing Matty Boy slaping me back in time is not the same as slapping me into hopeless poverty where I have no education and I am trapped in a 3rd world country with no chance to develop myself. You see I understand these things sunshine and you obviously are clueless first world man.

steveinbsas said:
They are so peaceful they remind me of the Tea Party rallies in the USA (but I doubt that they will pick up all the litter before they go home). :p

Are they carrying guns like the Tea Party guys?

Rumours of a repeat performance for Thursday.
We went to the Keenta last week and I would suggest that there will be more this week, even if CFK is out of the country buying more shoes in NYC.

nicoenarg said:
And I repeat, you come across as saying that these people are incapable of helping themselves and can't be better without your help..

You know.. its strange, you have no idea and neither did I at one time in my life, actually for most of my life. My help could never help them it is not enough and never will be. I am fully and painfully aware of that. So do not suppose to understand who or what I am.

Now.. Nico, lets do a reality check SunShine..

2010 one of my best friends here.. We are very close whole family has supported and helped here. Father goes to vote and gets arrested. I cannot get in touch with my friend he had to go Buenos Aires to help his father in jail. I am like oh my God! I know this man he is a good hard working man, what happened?

So I google his name and the news papers here. Oh my God! He was an officer during the time of the Juntas and accused of crimes against humanity and was trained in the USA during his career. WTF? Land of the Free! Home of the Brave!

Now being an American and seeing the suffering of my close 3rd world friend and his family without a head of the household and no longer having the income of the head of the household.. Where does that leave you? And this is not the sort of place where life goes well without the head of the house.

So tell me SunShine what do you understand? Because everything I thought I understood has been challenged here. Like you said Nico.. Its not on us..its on them! Maybe you should go wash your hands.

tomdesigns said:
You know.. its strange, you have no idea and neither did I at one time in my life, actually for most of my life. My help could never help them it is not enough and never will be. I am fully and painfully aware of that. So do not suppose to understand who or what I am.

And yet you think you know who I am? Your arrogance is mind blowing. You don't know who I am or where I'm from and yet you think you can tell me what I do or don't know?

You've seen the poverty of people from "right outside the villa". Well, good for you! So what? I've personally lived in poverty for over 9 years when I didn't know where the next meal was going to come from, literally. Yet I didn't go around blaming anybody for it. Its no one's fault. My dad's investment went bust and everything went downhill from there. That's that. Were we depressed? Of course. But it wasn't the end of the world. We still focused on our education and made it better. And I will repeat it over and over, we did it on our own and so can the rest of the world.

And for your record, I didn't grow up in a first world country, far from it. So get the hell off your high horse. You're not unique, and the whole world is not blind to the reality.

tomdesigns said:
Now.. Nico, lets do a reality check SunShine..

2010 one of my best friends here.. We are very close whole family has supported and helped here. Father goes to vote and gets arrested. I cannot get in touch with my friend he had to go Buenos Aires to help his father in jail. I am like oh my God! I know this man he is a good hard working man, what happened?

So I google his name and the news papers here. Oh my God! He was an officer during the time of the Juntas and accused of crimes against humanity and was trained in the USA during his career. WTF? Land of the Free! Home of the Brave!

Now being an American and seeing the suffering of my close 3rd world friend and his family without a head of the household and no longer having the income of the head of the household.. Where does that leave you? And this is not the sort of place where life goes well without the head of the house.

I missed the detail where the American forces kidnapped the father of this guy and forced him to train in the US as part of the junta. Oh wait, that's right...no such thing happened. He willingly went to the US to train, and then came back and did what he did. So, how's that the fault of the US? Or Americans? I'm not an American, I'm just surprised by this idiotic linking of events and blames.

I went to high school with this very interesting kid, good kid actually, very generous and kind. One day we found out that his father had gone off to fight "the infidels" as a "mujahid". No one forced his father to do that, he just did it on his own. The infidels just happened to be Indians. He went there and killed a bunch of people, and died. And then the kid was left without a father and 7 siblings and a mother who was uneducated. Oh I know, freakin' India is to be blamed for this with their overcrowded trains and U$S 1 billion homes. OR we can just have some common sense and blame the father for being an idiot.

The kid's life turned upside down, and I can imagine his family's too. I saw his suffering too, like I said you're not unique. Where I grew up, plenty of people went to be "mujahids" because they wanted to, not because they were forced to. Plenty of people left their loved ones behind to fend for themselves.

As for poverty and slums and "the first world" to be blamed for everything. Well, I was in Pakistan for a while. If you think you've seen poverty here, you have no freakin' idea what you're talking about. Not that the suffering of people here is not as bad as those in Pakistan (or Bangladesh).

There was this one village in the North Western Province of Pakistan called "Jaulian". Two out of the countless families in that village owned land. The rest were workers on the land and got whatever handouts those families gave them. There's no hint of any presence of a first world government there. This is a feudal system, started by people from Afghanistan and Uzbekistan some 5 to 6 centuries ago.

Anyway, one of the working families decided that they had had enough of this life and sent their kids to school. Over the years, their kids studied really hard and got really good grades. Their oldest son (only men to go school in this village, girls aren't allowed to study) got a scholarship to go to Oxford. Pretty big deal. They celebrated the occasion, of course.

But one of the land owning families heard about the celebration and the reason why they were celebrating (landlords and farmers don't mix so they don't go to each others' parties)...a month later, when the son of the worker family got on the bus to go to the airport to be on his way to London, he was shot to death on the bus.

The worker family was shunned. They were left with no work, and no food. And worst of all, no justice for them because they weren't land owners. You know, the murder of their oldest child was not a serious offense because they weren't an important member of the society.

This is a typical story in that part of the world (including India and Bangladesh). Not always this extreme, but it happens in one form or another.

The family had to pack up and leave the village for Karachi, a city in the south of Pakistan, where no one knew them. Did they go and beg? No way. Did they sit and blame the rich of the world? No! They started all over again. They put their kids in school. Both the father and the mother worked day and night. The mother cleaned houses (a very degrading job in that part of the world) and the father hauled cement up to the masons.

Where's this family now? They're back in the same village where their son was killed and where they were shunned from. And now they own most of the land there. The family who murdered the oldest son is still in the village and there usually are shootings between these families. Women don't go out, and men have both guns on them and body guards with them. The police does not interfere.

I was told this story by the father himself who is now a gray-haired, sun burned man who still manages to stand upright and walks miles every day to and around his fields, he's surrounded by his body guards who are always at the ready whenever they see anyone approach this man.

Why did they go back? The guy only said "pride and revenge". Which is a very integral part of their culture, whether poor or rich.

Him and I started an education program for the people of this village and those in the slums around his fields (the village itself is worse than a villa here, and now imagine the slums).

I've seen the depression in people and the hopelessness. Especially those living in the slums. But when these people were approached by us, half of them were happy to only take hand outs and didn't want to invest in education. They sent out their kids to beg and those kids would bring in enough for their whole families to survive. Who's to blame here, Tommy? The freakin first world that you love to rail against? Nah, its these people themselves who refuse to come out of the rut they're in.

Because there are others as well. Their neighbors or people who live close by. They take the opportunity to send their kids to school (there is free public education available to them, they just don't know about it); and they make their lot better. They do it on their own, once told. Others refuse to take any action unless it means sending their children to beg on the streets.

tomdesigns said:
So tell me SunShine what do you understand? Because everything I thought I understood has been challenged here. Like you said Nico.. Its not on us..its on them! Maybe you should go wash your hands.

What do I understand? I understand that out of the people that claim they know better than the rest, you are probably one of the most narrow-minded people I've seen out there.

Tell you what, if you really want to do something and you think you, as a "first world man", are not doing enough, sell your computer and cut your internet connection that you seem to be paying for (or stop going to the internet cafes) and then use that money to buy books for the kids that live in the slum that you live next to (and don't care enough to go live in the slum). Stop trying to make yourself feel better by posting here about how much you know and how much the rest of the world doesn't know. Oh poor Tommy. Get a grip for once and open your eyes. Just because you've seen your villa in Corrientes doesn't mean you've seen the ends of the earth.

And with that, I'm done. You can go on railing against people all you want. I'll enjoy my rest of the day.

Bravo! I'm glad to see someone call tomdesigns what he is - a self-righteous blowhard.

maw said:
Bravo! I'm glad to see someone call tomdesigns what he is - a self-righteous blowhard.

Completely agree. Nicoenarg disected him like a high school frog. Tom is as phony and santamonius as they come. I don´t believe a fraction of what he has to say. He is also plenty hostile until confronted. He sounds like a bored lost soul. Maybe he should start a religion or sell himself to other lost souls as the guru he thinks he is.

Thank you Nicoenarg. I enjoyed your post aside from putting Tommy Tall Tales in his place.

Back