Get your pots out for the lads!

Do you have TN (todonoticias) news channel? They are covering it live. There are a few thousand in the Plaza.

scotttswan said:
yes i believe they are protesting against corruption, hypocrisy and insecurity.

I agree, but what difference can it possibly make if there is never a serious alternative in the future (next election)?

surfing said:
Do you have TN (todonoticias) news channel? They are covering it live. There are a few thousand in the Plaza.

Yes, thanks...but all I see is a bunch of people walking around on a Thursday night! :rolleyes:

They are so peaceful they remind me of the Tea Party rallies in the USA (but I doubt that they will pick up all the litter before they go home). :p

surfing said:

Yes, thanks!..but it just looks like a lot of people walking around on a Thursday night...waiting for the music to start.

If there were a few hundred thousand more they would look like the tea party on 8/28 in Washington DC.

But I doubt that they will pick up all of the litter before calling it a night and going home.

Perhaps that requires more pride in one's country than contempt for it's current leaders.

Just as a reminder for those who have forgotten or haven't read the entire thread - this is one of the emails that was being posted, covering the grounds that they are protesting:

Smcali23 said:
This is the email I received:

Por una Argentina como la que todos queremos, digamos BASTA.
Basta de falta de medicamentos.
Basta de trabas a las importaciones y exportaciones.
Basta de cepo al dólar.
Basta de Ciccones.
Basta de violencia verbal.
Basta de expropiaciones.
Basta de patoterismos.
Basta de impunidad.

Basta de autoritarismo
Basta de no dialogo.

CACEROLAZO el próximo jueves 31 de mayo a las 20:30 hs.

HASTA DONDE QUIEREN LLEGAR?
POR FAVOR REENVIAR A TODOS TUS CONOCIDOS Y CONTACTOS
DE TODOS NOSOTROS DEPENDE EL CAMBIO. NO NOS CALLEMOS.

EVERY movement anywhere is founded in self-interest in one way or another.

The particular sentiments of this group may be seen by many here in Argentina (the majority of those who live in Argentina perhaps, the majority being poor and most likely ignorant to anything outside what the government has taught them) as "self-serving" by people with "little or no social conscience."

However, I like the sentiments displayed in that email. No one's perfect. But the things listed above are impeding this country from being a success. Get rid of them. Rail against them.

But be careful that anything that comes out of it doesn't go too far the other way as well - effective dictatorship by "socially superior classes" is just as bad, and there certainly is an issue with that as well, in most of Latam.

And BTW - if the poor really think that the government's policies are not affecting them, but rather only the "rich" and middle class - well, they are ignorant.

If I were poor here (and knowing what I know), I'd be out there banging my pots and pans as well, for the good of all.

As a "rich" person here (far from it really, but many here see me that way because I have a decent income generated in the States), I've banged a few pots over the last couple of cacerolazos myself. From my balconey of course, when I hear it starting up - I'm not ensconced here enough to want to go mix it up in the streets, but I do certainly provide my moral support to those who are out there :D

And another thing about the poor here. They are affected as well by the dollar restrictions. It's not just the "rich."

I have had an awful lot of requests recently to buy pesos for dollars from people who have no hope of being able to buy dollars legally and can't find change houses that will sell them dollars at all.

They aren't stupid, even though perhaps ignorant of politics and economics. They know as well as any rich person that their pesos aren't worth much and getting worse.

ElQueso said:
And another thing about the poor here. They are affected as well by the dollar restrictions. It's not just the "rich."

I have had an awful lot of requests recently to buy pesos for dollars from people who have no hope of being able to buy dollars legally and can't find change houses that will sell them dollars at all.

They aren't stupid, even though perhaps ignorant of politics and economics. They know as well as any rich person that their pesos aren't worth much and getting worse.

Are you sure what you wrote is correct?

Why would anyone who could not "buy pesos for dollars" be complaining?

With pesos I can still buy 520G Pure de tomate (Arcor) for $2,99, carne picada for $26,99 por kilo, queso cremoso for $19,99 por kilo. and three rolls of paper towels for $4,99.

Of course I'm over 600 KM from CF. :)

Back