Going to Live in Bariloche...any advice?

thanks so much nicole. do you have any other advice? any particular neighborhoods you recommend? will it be easy to get internet connected if it is not advertised with it already in place?

do you think i will need a car? if so can i buy and insure something with my us driver's license on a tourist visa?

and any advice on finding ski/mountaineering/climbing partners once i do arrive?

thanks again!

elaine

About the skiing thing. I don't ski so I'm not really sure. But there are place to rent ski equipment so they may be able to help you find people.

I don't know about the car thing either. MY husband took care of ours and he's Argentinian, but I'm still driving around a year an 1/2 later with my Florida DL. You probably won't need a car. They seem to have a good bus system.

The internet should be easy to get. I'm sure you aren't going to move as far from town as I am. We are currently using Personal's stupid internet which is like having dial up, but the real internet companies have great internet.

I have been looking into going to Bariloche to live off-season. People tell me that most of the houses/apartments are "summer houses," which means no insulation or heating system. You can try electric or propane heaters, but without insulation it's like living in a tent, and your energy bills will be high. Something to consider.

In December-March it seems a good portion of the population of Argentina gravitates to that area. If you don't like crowds (like me) bear this in mind. I prefer to spend those months in BsAs,

I am currently on the coast in Uruguay, got a good deal on a "summer house" and my climate situation is described in the first paragraph. Beautiful area, though. The price of electricity in this country is off the charts.

dutara said:
I have been looking into going to Bariloche to live off-season. People tell me that most of the houses/apartments are "summer houses," which means no insulation or heating system. You can try electric or propane heaters, but without insulation it's like living in a tent, and your energy bills will be high. Something to consider.

I don't know about the summer house thing, but house here seem to be made from either brick or wood. The brick houses obviously their is no where to put the insulation, but & other peopple we know are building wood houses & insualtion is definitly going in them. We rented an all brick house for a year that had cracks & you could feel the cold coming in certain spots & our bills weren't high at all. Everyone has heating & if for some bizare reason you find a place that doesn't they sell electric wall heaters, which is what we currently are using. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

elaine said:
any particular neighborhoods you recommend? will it be easy to get internet connected if it is not advertised with it already in place?

do you think I will need a car? if so can I buy and insure something with my us driver's license on a tourist visa?

and any advice on finding ski/mountaineering/climbing partners once i do arrive?

How long are you intending to stay in Bariloche? What are you looking for in terms or accommodation.. house, apartment, what's you budget?

When I signed up for internet with Telefonica 2 weeks ago they said I would have to wait about 40 days for phone then another week after that for internet. I was actually done in 2 weeks, maybe because there were other connections in the same building? Telecom may be a different story.

Depending on where you live there is an hourly bus in the low season and bus every half hour in the high season to Cerro Catedral. It is a lot cheaper than buying a car, but queues/always full (standing) and doesn't always stop between the centre and Cerro Catedral if it's full (high season).

finding ski/mountaineering/climbing partners
: put a note on the board outside the Mountain Info Centre (next to CAB) or try at the hostels...

BTW- when we signed up for Direct TV in February they said sometime in the near future they were going to be providing free wifi for the city. I'm still waiting. I don't know what their definition of near future is. lol.

Back