Going to Uruguay to renew visa

pompeygazza

Registered
There's been a few posts which suggest that going to Uruguay to renew your 90 day visa for Argentina is becoming less of an option due to a crackdown. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, if it is still possible, when is the best time to go in relation to the expiry date?
Thanks

As a lot of other posts have already talked about this issue, overstating your visa is better than doing the visa run. So overstay and pay the fine when you leave for good.

Going to Uruguay does not renew your tourist visa and never has.

Steve thank you for that very useful answer, and forgive me if I've used the wrong technical vocabulary but my understanding was that if I go to Uruguay I'll get a fresh 90 day stamp on my passport when I re-enter Argentina. Are you telling me this has never been the case? I do know people who have done exactly that.

Nico, I have already read most of the threads connected with this issue, but so like so many other threads on this forum, they're either sidetracked into other issues or downright confusing. I was hoping to get just a simple answer. I understand what you're saying, but I'd rather pay a little more and have a day trip to Colonia than pay a fine at the airport.

Went to Colonia last week and returned with a fresh 90-day stamp. Had a lovely time and no problems whatsoever. PM me if you need more detail.

pompeygazza said:
Steve thank you for that very useful answer, and forgive me if I've used the wrong technical vocabulary but my understanding was that if I go to Uruguay I'll get a fresh 90 day stamp on my passport when I re-enter Argentina. Are you telling me this has never been the case? I do know people who have done exactly that.

Nico, I have already read most of the threads connected with this issue, but so like so many other threads on this forum, they're either sidetracked into other issues or downright confusing. I was hoping to get just a simple answer. I understand what you're saying, but I'd rather pay a little more and have a day trip to Colonia than pay a fine at the airport.
I think what Steve is saying is correct: Going to Uruguay does not "renew" your visa; it simply gives you a new one. That said -- regular trips to Uruguay is one of the best ways to draw attention to yourself whereas overstaying is simply a one-time event. Not worth the time and expense in my opinion.

I always go to Uruguay for a new stamp. Many say to just stay and pay the fine when you leave, if you aren't planned on stepping foot out of Argentina for a year or more that's definitely a better deal financially and doesn't draw any attention to you migration wise.

I travel a lot to either other countries in South America or the States at least twice a year. That means I only need two "visa runs" per year and I honestly love Uruguay so I do it. To me paying the 300 pesos to go to Colonia or wherever is better than paying the 300 peso fine. I'd rather pay and have access to a Chivito than just pay the Argentine government for nothing.

So both are good options depending on your situation. For me, I'd rather get more bang for my buck. But if you aren't planning on leaving Argentina for a year or so, it's not really worth paying 300 pesos every three months rather than just one fee of 300 pesos at the end of the year at EZE on your way out.

I've also had zero problems in migraciones, last time he asked if i was a tourist and looked at me suspiciously, I said yes, and that was it. So just one "suspicious" look in 2 years of stamps.

irina said:
To me paying the 300 pesos to go to Colonia or wherever is better than paying the 300 peso fine. I'd rather pay and have access to a Chivito than just pay the Argentine government for nothing.

Yeah nothing except the fact that you lived here illegally without hassle for well over the permitted 180 days a year.

300 pesos is a pretty cheap fine for that privilege, in the States as a foreigner you could be looking at deportation or a stay in prison. So yeah, Argentine government, how dare you ask for 300 pesos as an overstay fine.

surfing said:
I think what Steve is saying is correct: Going to Uruguay does not "renew" your visa; it simply gives you a new one. That said -- regular trips to Uruguay is one of the best ways to draw attention to yourself whereas overstaying is simply a one-time event. Not worth the time and expense in my opinion.

Well, like I said, I apologise for my sloppy use of vocabulary, and me being an English teacher too! But anyone would have known what I meant, and could have responded on that basis and not on the 'literal meaning' basis.

syngirl said:
Yeah nothing except the fact that you lived here illegally without hassle for well over the permitted 180 days a year.

300 pesos is a pretty cheap fine for that privilege, in the States as a foreigner you could be looking at deportation or a stay in prison. So yeah, Argentine government, how dare you ask for 300 pesos as an overstay fine.

I'll also throw out an apology for poor word choice. I just meant that if I'm going to pay 300 pesos it might as well be for a relaxing day in a small town in Uruguay instead of a line in the airport. I'm fairly sure bajo cero has pointed out many times we aren't "ïllegal", we have "irregular" visa status if we are going to nit pick words, so I'm grateful for Argentina for being flexible with my irregularity.

Back