Going to Uruguay to renew visa

Pompey, you ask for a simple answer on the visa question yet when Steve and Nico gave it to you, you didn't like it.

It seems to me what you are asking for is a detailed explanation. There was a thread recently that went into detail about this. It's one reason I read the forum everyday, and read things that interest me, because of course threads do get hijacked, but if you read it everday you pretty well keep up with it and it doesn't get so confusing.

It takes a bit of work to learn these things and it can be annoying when one of us gives the answers in simple form but they are not good enough because they don't have enough detail for the requester.

It feels like "I don't want to be bothered so someone do the research for me and tell me what the answer is." That ought to worth be something. BTW - I make $75 US an hour on my real job :)

I mention this because Bajo_cero, who is a local attorney who has dealt with getting foreigners citizenship and helping people who have had deportation orders enacted agsint them for being permatourists, very explicitly details why it is not a good idea. However, it takes a little bit of work on your part to dig the information out.

When someone asks for a plain, simple answer, the answer usually does not carry any weight because those who have read enough to understand the complex issue make it sound like some flippant answer due to the complexity of the issue to begin with.

I have responded to people so many times, about things just like this. I have repeated myself so many times that it can be quite frustrating after awhile. It takes a bit of work to write out detailed responses that makes sense.

Short answer:

It is illegal to overstay your visa, but not from a standpoint like the US where you get into criminal trouble. The more stamps you have in your passport (the more times you cross in a Permatourist pattern), the more likely you are to be noticed by immigrations. Once you are noticed, immigrations can deport you via a deportation order and can bar you from the country for 5 years. You may not even know you have an order against you, it just shows up the next time you try to reenter the country and you are denied. If you do not do the visa run but just pay the fine when you leave, it is not only cheaper than going to Colonia, but it doesn't hurt anything and you don't get a deportation order started in immigrations against you.

People HAVE been denied re-entrance on a visa run, not very common, but it happens. People HAVE had deportation orders enacted against them, but it's not very common. Getting a new visa does no good whatsoever.

Do you want to take the chance and spend the money doing something that does you no good anyway? It's an unofficial policy that immigrations officers do not mess with you as a permatourist, but it's possible that it could happen and that policy, given the insanity of the government recently, could change at any moment.

That'll be $150 US :) It includes my research time as well as the time to write out the answer.

BTW - if my slightly more detailed answer doesn't work, honestly, go read that recent thread because the "why" of everything I just wrote out is explained ad infinitum in that post.

irina said:
I'll also throw out an apology for poor word choice. I just meant that if I'm going to pay 300 pesos it might as well be for a relaxing day in a small town in Uruguay instead of a line in the airport. I'm fairly sure bajo cero has pointed out many times we aren't "ïllegal", we have "irregular" visa status if we are going to nit pick words, so I'm grateful for Argentina for being flexible with my irregularity.

I believe that what Bajo_cero was saying is that you are not a criminal and it is a civil matter, not like you will end up in jail but you can be asked to leave the country and be denied entry for 5 years (as he showed in a deportation order he uploaded that did just that to a foreigner).

It is against immigration law for foreigners to be permatourists, therefore it is technically illegal, but in a civil, not criminal manner. If you read enough of the other thread where he expounds in great detail as to why border crossings not only are not necessary but can cause you some problems, you should know that the run you make carries some risk.

pompeygazza said:
Well, like I said, I apologise for my sloppy use of vocabulary, and me being an English teacher too! But anyone would have known what I meant, and could have responded on that basis and not on the 'literal meaning' basis.
I was attempting to answer your question and at the same time clarify the answer of another poster. In other words I was trying to be HELPFUL to YOU. Perhaps if you read by response again...

Hey Surfing I was only referring to one responder's negative response due to my poor use of words. I'm very grateful for your advice - thank you :)

Hey! Another option is to go to migraccion and pay the 300 pesos! I was just there today and they seem to be getting a lot more efficient! I was in and out in 30 min!
That way you don't have to go colonia and you won't have to go super early to pay at the airport when u leave!

I went across to Uruguay regularly spending the night in many different places and got my 90 days new tourist visa when i returned.

Whether or not i was technically legal or not other people have answered that.

What i can say is Uruguay is a lovely place and i can recommend seeing Fray Bentos, Montevideo, Piriapolis and Maldonado. Colonia is nice but i wouldn't spend longer than a day visiting as its not a huge place with lots to do.
The beer is much better than Quilmes and you have to try a Chivito when you're over there!
Everything is much calmer and it's a pleasant surprise how easy it is to cross the streets there!

shoush said:
Hey! Another option is to go to migraccion and pay the 300 pesos! I was just there today and they seem to be getting a lot more efficient! I was in and out in 30 min!
That way you don't have to go colonia and you won't have to go super early to pay at the airport when u leave!

You can only extend your tourist visa once at migraciones. Then, if you go to Uruguay with two days left on your extended visa, you will not get a new visa when you return.

Perhaps if your 90 day extesnion from migraciones expires while your are in Uruguay (overnight) you will get a new tourist visa when you return.

scotttswan said:
I went across to Uruguay regularly spending the night in many different places and got my 90 days new tourist visa when i returned.

And this could end at any time. The new regulations are in effect. They just haven't been enforced...yet.

Yes, true! This happened to me! I realized mi visa had expired again and I was told I wasn't able to extend for a second time in migraccion, but I went there today to get some info about getting my permanent residency when I'm back from Canada and because I'm flying out in less then 10 days I was able to pay the 300 pesos there instead of the airport!!!! Which is awesome because I wasn't looking forward to calculating how long the line would be at the airport!
Never knew this option existed til today!

steveinbsas said:
You can only extend your tourist visa once at migraciones. Then, if you go to Uruguay with two days left on your extended visa, you will not get a new visa when you return.

Perhaps if your 90 day extesnion from migraciones expires while your are in Uruguay (overnight) you will get a new tourist visa when you return.

shoush said:

Never ever do that!!!!!!!!!!
stay away from that building!

By the way, i see with joy that the level of knoledge and proper advice has improved a lot :)

i also se that you are becoming fancy, jejejeje.
So, let's go to immigration 2:0: there aren't visas at all, you don't need them. You are talking about I-94. It is a permit for staying for whatever, normally 90 days.
If you apply for rentista, student, retired, marriage, etc, they aren't visas neither. They are legal residencies. They are just like the green card. The only difference between somebody with legal residence is that he is allow to work en blanco and he can rent a room in a hotel.
When you overstay it is clear that you become an inhabitant and being one you have the same civil right than an argentine but you have to enforce many of them at federal courts.
Other like studying and public healths services are granted at the immigration law.

Regarding the re entry, the feedback i have is from people who was asked for a bribe for allowe them to re entry and she got in problems for not having the money.

The other case of depottation order if from somebody from Spain who got the deportation orden the day after YPF was nationalized.

So, i suggest particullary to member of commonwealth and Spain, to do not do the Colonia run.

Regards

Back