Good Italian Food

I had the menu ejecutivo at Sotto Voce. Appetizer and dessert were good but the main (saltimbocca) was not good. I might try it again for pasta.

If anyone has another suggestion particularly for pasta with frutti di mare, it's what I'm most interested in. It's a simple but very difficult dish to get right as all the different seafood needs to be cooked at different times.

I don't want to ruin your hype, but they all use frozen seafood already mixed.

I used to like Piegari but the last few times the service treated us rudely. We'll never return.Pegari caters to the regulars and have no time for others. Even those of us who are quarterly regulars... even though we tip well unlike some of the others here...;-)

Sotto Voce is hit or miss. I find the Puerto Madero one better than the Leandro n Alem. Plus Alem is too cramped. And that corner is also for locals just like Piegari.

Parolocca is no longer on my list.

I do like the pasta at La Stampa. They serve DeCecco but the sauces are very good. I like their pizzas too. Roman style. But not for seafood.

Rigoletto is garbage. Disgusting. Go to Brocollini before Rigoletto for pedastrian pasta. But I wouldn't try the seafood at Brocollini either.

I stand by Mancini on Libertad for seafood with pasta. It's just up from Sotto Voce

http://www.manciniristorante.com/eng/menu.html

Mauro.it Il ristorantino Italiano in Belgrano, where a plate of pasta is compulsory! They have around 10-15 sauces, and at least one with fish (but honestly I can't remember which and I didn't try it). You pick the sauce, Mauro picks the pasta format that best match it.
I had tagliatelle ai funghi and my husband had an interesting linguine con pesto e gorgonzola. As a starter, we had a bruschetta and a burrata.
His tiramisù is the best I ever had in Buenos Aires, Mauro does the mascarpone himself (showed me the big bowl, offered me a sample) and it is the real deal.
We spent around 500 ARS drinking water. The place is not cheap by Argentinian standard, but the food is good. Mauro also appeared in some TV shows and there are many pictures of celebrities (both Italian and Argentinean) on his walls. He does pretty basic stuff, the kind of food you would eat at an Italian home.

I don't have much experience with eating Italian food in Buenos Aires, so far.
The only other place I tried was Gulie in Palermo, but we arrived late and they only served cold food, so we just had a burrata with tomatoes and salad, a tiramisù and a coffee. Avoid the tiramisù, which is not so much of a thing (of course, impressive compared to the Argentinians' version). The coffee was served bringing the moka directly on the table, which was nice. The burrata was more of a mozzarella, I liked Mauro's more. But anyway, a burrata in Argentina... what do you expect?! (at least, for those who have tried a genuine burrata from Puglia...)

I totally second Mauro.it - I am obsessed with the seafood pasta - it is AMAZING. Mauro is fun to chat with as well....

"Filo" is the best Italian restaurant (San Martín 987)

Yes this! Filo is amazing, and I had plenty for the next day's lunch :)

La Parolaccia Trattoria in Puerto Madero is a more expensive, but absolutely stunning quality.

And there is a place in San Telmo that is the best - in all ways - service (probably the best I've ever experienced), food, and price. Complete mind block to the name right now though! It's on the same street as the Danish church... the corner of Carlos Calvo and Balcarce underneath a ridiculously picturesque blue window and stucco/brick façade.

Another vote for La Locanda.
Faintly remember going to Il Gran Caruso but don't remember anything happy or Great about it.

At "the market" in Puerto Madera: @Serafina, help me out: If I ask for Risotto, and it's in fact, decent, but they garnish it with a lot of arugula and salad instead of a pinch of prezzemolo. Am I ignorant or the chef is?

Well, it depends on the risotto. What kind of risotto did you ask for?
With seafood? With salsiccia? with mushrooms?

Today would be a good day for a risotto, now that you make me think about it!

It was a seafood risotto with the Mix you just described. I was a little bit shocked to see lettuce on top of it.

Today would be great for some mushroom risotto...

I love La Parolaccia and don't forget there are several branches so all might NOt be the same! I've been to Riobamba and Cervino and both were superb!

I have to second La Parolaccia on Cerviño. It's a regular stop for us, and have never had a single complaint.

And they have carpaccio for Serafina.

Back