Good Time To Buy An Apartment?

Reinaldo

Registered
A lot of people we've spoken to say right now is not a good time to look for an apartment, that the economy is is in trouble, and that better opportunities for buyers will come in the near future. Others say no, cash is king, nothing is moving, and we should just make low cash offers now. I realize no one knows the answer, but I'm curious about folks' educated guesses or, perhaps, wild speculation.

Real Estate has been bid up because it is one of the few places to invest your money. In the future when currency controls are lifted, money will flood out of real estate into more lucrative investments. Now with the difficulty of moving money it makes even less sense for a foreigner to invest in RE here.

A lot of people are going to tell you yes it's a good value, but they probably have there heart set in it being a good value because they own property here.

Prices for well located apartments in nice neighborhoods have NOT come down by very much. I know several people who work in real estate sales and rentals and while apartment sales are about 1/3 of what they were in 2011, in terms of volume, prices have remained stable or increased a few percentage points. The apartments that have come down in price are those in less desireable neighborhoods and the conurbano. Recoleta, the Palermos, Puerto Madero, the good parts of Belgrano, Colegiales, Nuñez and Zona Norte are well priced in terms of cost per square foot, but the bargains of 2001-2003 are long gone and I doubt they will return.

Prices for well located apartments in nice neighborhoods have NOT come down by very much. I know several people who work in real estate sales and rentals and while apartment sales are about 1/3 of what they were in 2011, in terms of volume, prices have remained stable or increased a few percentage points. The apartments that have come down in price are those in less desireable neighborhoods and the conurbano. Recoleta, the Palermos, Puerto Madero, the good parts of Belgrano, Colegiales, Nuñez and Zona Norte are well priced in terms of cost per square foot, but the bargains of 2001-2003 are long gone and I doubt they will return.

We bought in Palermo in 2002, and we now regret it - that we only bought one.

For us, though, even that felt like a bold move at the time.

We bought in Palermo in 2002, and we now regret it - that we only bought one.

For us, though, even that felt like a bold move at the time.
Buying 2 years after a major crisis and buying 14 years after is a horse of a different color.

Buying when there is blood still fresh in the streets is more risky as well as being potentially much much more lucrative.

Will there be values as great as 2000- 2002, unlikely. Will there be another crisis that provides much more favorable values, very likely.

Buying 2 years after a major crisis and buying 14 years after is a horse of a different color.

Buying when there is blood still fresh in the streets is more risky as well as being potentially much much more lucrative.

Will there be values as great as 2000- 2002, unlikely. Will there be another crisis that provides much more favorable values, very likely.

We were more concerned about carrying a large amount of cash into the country. We were not speculating, as we have local family and a long-term commitment.

I am selling an apt in Recoleta and in the last three days I have had 8 parties come look at it, and already have an offer. Is it a good time to buy/sell… who know???

In my humble opinion, the right time to buy property will be in late 2015/early 2016 , just after the elections

I agree with Cevcihe I now wouldnt buy or sell unles I had to do so!

will there ever be another 2002/03 maybe not but maybe a 2004 or 05 but I don't have the cristal ball!

Back