Govt. opening safety deposit boxes.

And while we're at it, do you remember the gun battle that took place a few years ago when they moved Peron's body to its current (and hopefully final) resting place?

Really. Where exactly ARE we?

nlaruccia said:
There have been a lot of rumor going around about the government eventually opening up the safety deposit boxes at the banks and now they're offering insurance up to $50,000 US per box.

This is a mix of true and false statements.

"Eventually" the Earth will collide with the Sun. See what I mean?

The banks offer a TOP payement of US 50k per box if/when they get robbed as it happened recently (and many times before) during a weekend only to be discovered on a Monday. Following that type of MO, the banks compensated the owners up to that amount provided they could more or less prove they had (or more) in the box.
Everybody is reading this and filing in the blanks with their worst fears, IMO.
The word would spread out immediately if this was to happen. there's no way to keep it quiet in this country.

Never heard of the boxes being opened AND the contents being converted to something else. It does not make any sense. Makes more sense and possibly easier to simply confiscate the contents. THAT, has been done before.

safe scanners? it seems to me this is still another very cheap FEAR TACTIC. make public announcements how AFIP dogs busted someone at the border and you decrease people smuggling cash by X % and all it cost you was a press release, a patsy and a cute doggy in an AFIP jacket. Can dog's smell money? probably. Number of people you deter by announcing way more than the dogs will ever catch.
for me the SAFE SCANNER rumour is the same psychological warfare. hiding non declared funds in the bank? well it's not 'safe' anymore. and don't you read the papers? you can't keep it in your house either or you will be robbed. Black money is no longer an easy store. Their goal is to make you feel PERSECUTED and uncomfortable. so that the fear and 'hassle' makes you start whitening and putting in the bank or in the economy itself. anything but out of circulation. then again, what do I know... I make movies for a living.:)

Let's try to put some sense into this.

They need a Court Order to do that and with good motives.
There's NO WAY they can get the hardware into a Bank vault without all sorts of phone calls spreading the news to the whole country in the following 2 minutes.
NO BANK would allow that shit to fly without a public protest. They would lose all business.

Maybe some of you think differently?

This is a very interesting stuff.
My comments are the followings:
A) First, who would have imagined in 2003 that these people would do what they already did? If you need that list you have a short memory, indeed!!!
B) They have just announced that they will sell gold no more(of course, ¿what do you expect?)
C) What the AFIP wants is to pesify the economy, so then can cheat you more easyly. If people hoard gold, Dollars or Euros they can not devalue them and cheat you.
D)Regarding investing in small amounts, I would suggest to buy metals!!.Yes, I mean bars of cooper, lead, etc. Goverment ignores these markets, there no control on them, and it can be resold later on with either no loss or even an small profit. It was done before in the 70´s when there was hiperinflation here.
F) They could decree a bank holiday, and THEN ransack the boxes with the banks closed!!
G)The Courts here are simple buddies or accomplices of the Federal Goverment, they are NOT independent.
H) Last, here we say that if you think negatively you will be closer to the truth!!!!.

I don't know. Lots of good points have been made. Could be a psycho-rumor. Could be a scare tactic. But I do know that in the 12 years I've been here, I have repeatedly found myself having to recalibrate my sense of what is possible.

But look on the bright side: if they do starting opening boxes, maybe Peron's hands will turn up.

fifs2 said:
You couldnt make this stuff up..felt the same when I learnt our beloved ex leader aka Peron had left Evas mummified and decaying body in an attic. Mishmaoul as the Arabs say...just unbelievable:(!

Not in the attic - he had her body displayed on the dining room table in the house in Spain he shared with Isabelle.

Back to the original topic - I think most people just want their money out of the country, hence the run on safe deposit boxes in Uruguay, etc. While the scenario seems far-fetched, I think the fact is that people simply have zero faith in the gov't and the sense that anything is possible.

citygirl said:
Not in the attic - he had her body displayed on the dining room table in the house in Spain he shared with Isabelle.

Jaja you cannot even trust any source on this as the stories vary (In 1957, five years after Eva’s death new President Aramburu discovered the body in an attic in a crate marked “Radio Parts.”) and I also read that the body was then sent to Madrid and Peron would display it on the dining table in some macabre act...anyhow whichever is true if not both, it just beggars belief. This man is near deified in Argentina as is Eva and her body was treated with absolute disdain and noone sees the irony in that? Ok sorry for the tangent, have a nice day y'all..

Whats the word on the street regarding the the possibility of this happening, anything new?

Rumor or not, why would anybody ever trust an Argentine bank?

Whether it's the govt. opening your box or thieves tunneling underneath the bank and opening boxes based upon info they received from employees of the bank and the police looking the other direction; why would anybody ever trust an Argentine bank?

Back