Hate North Americans?

gouchobob said:
I have theory about what's going on with the number of posters(not just Orwellian) recently that seem very far left. Most of these people are not in Argentina and have probably never been here. Most I would bet are actually Americans and as someone else said in another thread they almost never contribute or comment about any topic that's actually regarding Argentina, it's usually just a steady stream of anti-American bile. I think they are gravitating to this site as many of these people are Che wannabe's and at least this is site has something to do with Argentina. I imagine them walking around with scruffy beards, berets, and military fatigues. They actually live someplace like Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Home is actually the spare bedroom in the basement of Mom and Dads house. They are employed as fast food technicians in the local fast food eatery or some other similar type job. I think they are angry about their lack of success in life, and the fact that hardly anybody takes them seriously.

What a sweeping generalisation that you are making about our members based on that you do not agree with their views and cannot articulate a argument based of fact .

People who attack others with sweeping generalisations as you have done on numerous occasions shows their narrow mind and extremely low intelligence.

orwellian said:
I might suggest you read some about Latin America's history before you post in threads like this one. Otherwise you are just going to keep proving my point.

I don't even know what this means. What point is it you're making and I'm proving?

There was an assertion made that Argentines hate North Americans. In my experience, that hasn't been the case. Period Full Stop.

Ad thanks for the suggestion on reading - I actually have done a fair amount of studies on Latin American history including grad level classes but as always, I'm open to reading suggestions.

gouchobob said:
I have theory about what's going on with the number of posters(not just Orwellian) recently that seem very far left. Most of these people are not in Argentina and have probably never been here. Most I would bet are actually Americans and as someone else said in another thread they almost never contribute or comment about any topic that's actually regarding Argentina, it's usually just a steady stream of anti-American bile. I think they are gravitating to this site as many of these people are Che wannabe's and at least this is site has something to do with Argentina. I imagine them walking around with scruffy beards, berets, and military fatigues. They actually live someplace like Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Home is actually the spare bedroom in the basement of Mom and Dads house. They are employed as fast food technicians in the local fast food eatery or some other similar type job. I think they are angry about their lack of success in life, and the fact that hardly anybody takes them seriously.

Damn, he's busted our nascent revolutionary guerrilla army in the Chicken Chunder, Sioux Falls wide open. Code orange - everyone remove your fatigues, berets and shave, we're moving to Des Moines!!

pauper said:
Damn, he's busted our nascent revolutionary guerrilla army in the Chicken Chunder, Sioux Falls wide open. Code orange - everyone remove your fatigues, berets and shave, we're moving to Des Moines!!

Well I may have gotten a little ebullient with my language but I guess I was trying to inject a little humor while making my point which I think is still valid. I was going to add that if the people posting here are the ones that are going to start the revolution then we can still sleep well at night as I don't think they will get very far.

As I promised, some statistics about Latin-American attitudes towards US Culture

Do you Like the spread of American ideals and customs? (Like% | Dislike%)

Argentina 16 | 73
Bolivia 22 | 73
Brazil 30 | 62
Guatemala 40 | 53
Honduras 44 | 53
México 22 | 65
Perú 37 | 50
Venezuela 44 | 52

Source: 2002 Pew Global Attitudes Project, based on 44.000 interviews in 44 countries.
www.pewresearch.org

Oh, and a general remark. I find it pretty disturbing that some people on this forum consider a critical stance towards US foreign policy / culture a far-left 'thing'.

Firstly, a critical stance has little to do with being left- or right-wing, critical thinking is an attitude that - fortunately - is being promoted heavily in the cientific community.

Secondly, after studying Latin-American political and economic affairs for over 4 years, being taught by professors from the left and the right, I have to admit that US foreign policy towards Latin-America has been desastrous for Latin-America. The sovereignty of many countries has been violated, US policy makers were more interested in economic gains and removing the (moderate) left from Latin-America than respecting sovereignty and human rights.

Ofcourse, the US is not primarily to blame for the current state of affairs in Latin-America, but US foreign policy has had a very negative impact on the (lack of) development of Latin-American countries.

I really regret that many Latin-Americans project this on North-Americans living or visiting the countries of the South (because they cannot be held responsible for injustices of the past), but on the other hand North-Americans should realize why this attitude in the South exists and shouldn't blame this on anti-US propaganda or left-wing nonsense. Because it's exactly THAT attitude (ignorance) which proves the other camp's point.

solanas??? jajajajajjajaja...no comments. I know we are ALL americans, because that´s what te continent is called. But that´s how they are usually called.
I used to believe in patriots and all that, but for me, that was when people like Belgrano, Sarmiento, J.Bautista Alberdi and others were alive, if we mention Argentine Patriotic People. I think that nowadys it would be enough if we had countries full of good, honest, helpful people & others.
That`s enough, at last, we all get sick and old and need to be surronded by good persons.

So I was speaking to this Porteno the other week. He telling me of his trip to Jamaica and Costa Rica. When I asked him how he went to Costa Rica from Jamaica he told me he went through Miami. "So then you have been to Miami as well", I asked him. But he told me he was only at the airport. And when I asked why he simply said: "I don't like gringos".

Argentina needs to step up to the plate of personal responsibility. Blaming the US gets them no where. plus, i have a opened mind and I'm getting sick of the comments.

In particular, I found to comments of recent immigrants to Argentina quite interesting.

orwellian said:
So I was speaking to this Porteno the other week. He telling me of his trip to Jamaica and Costa Rica. When I asked him how he went to Costa Rica from Jamaica he told me he went through Miami. "So then you have been to Miami as well", I asked him. But he told me he was only at the airport. And when I asked why he simply said: "I don't like gringos".

There aren't any gringos in Miami.

orwellian said:
Yeah, like what?

anytime there is a natural disaster the USA sends in tons of support, like what happened in Thailand a few years ago.

American is in a catch-22, as the most powerful nation it has a obligation to help the world, so when it does, it is butting in, but if it doesn't it is being selfish.

And if American culture is hated so much, please stop consuming the movies, music, clothing, etc. and support your own country and what they produce. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head making them buy over priced McDonald's.

Back