Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Never experienced racism to speak of for being from the U.S., but I have gotten stereotyped quite a bit. Argentinians stereotype and like very strict categories. If you are from here...then you must be like this. As far as racism towards neighboring countries...I think a lot of Argentinians believe that these immigrants are ruining their country. In some roundabout ways that could be true (the government imports poverty from neighboring countries in order to create more political clients). Unfortunately, it plays itself out in the form of racism and general stereotypes: Peruvians are thieves, Paraguayans are swindlers, and Bolivians are drunks. Of course this is nonsense but that is how so many here view people from those countries. Personally, I have yet to hear anything negative about any Colombians or Brazilians, and the hatred against Chileans is not usually racial. It's disheartening to see that people might judge your just by your ethnicity, but that is what happens. This might sound bad, but there are times that I am glad I am tall and blonde here in this country.

Fortunately, there are no swindlers in Argentina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrmpvIJiHNY

The Discrimination is Against all Descendants from "Natives of the Americas", Quechua Aztecs etc. so called Indians here, or from Mexico, "Brown ones", or Bolivia or Ecuador , Evo types . Is clearly Against the brown skin and Altiplano features.

Amazed at expats that are blondes and state "I was never discriminated"..... :lol:

The Discrimination is Against all Descendants from "Natives of the Americas", Quechua Aztecs etc. so called Indians here, or from Mexico, "Brown ones", or Bolivia or Ecuador , Evo types . Is clearly Against the brown skin and Altiplano features.

Amazed at expats that are blondes and state "I was never discriminated"..... :lol:

You shouldn't be amazed. When I lived in Mexico, I was constantly discriminated against. Not sure that can be classified as racism, but some people automatically did not like me because of the way I looked. Don't underestimate that in Latin America. Just as there is a stereotype against Latinos in the U.S. that they are lazy and uneducated, here in Latin America, there are people that think Europeans and people from the U.S.A. especially are swindlers, greedy, and not to be trusted.

Racism is quite different here, I have felt discriminated due to color of my skin. Argies don't care about where are you from as long as you are white (blond) they just love white people irrespective of where are they from, they (all white people in my experience) think they are superior race.

I always wonder, why white people think we (black, brown, yellow) are lesser then them? do we look ugly? do we look dirty? what it is that made them feel that way or is it just genetic abnormality which let them think they are better? Having said, Argies are still not at the level of racism as people in UK or US.

I always wonder, why white people think we (black, brown, yellow) are lesser then them? do we look ugly? do we look dirty? what it is that made them feel that way or is it just genetic abnormality which let them think they are better?

Yes, it's mainly a genetic defect that makes us think you are genetically inferior to us.

I have to chime in on this conversation because this talk about racial discrimination is not exclusive to Argentina. Here in the United States (and everywhere else on this planet) people of all races are subjected to prejudice. And it goes beyond race. It's fat people vs. skinny people, short people vs. tall people, Republicans vs. Democrats...... you get the drift. My point is that it is human nature for someone to "lord" over someone else for some very stupid reasons. That's why it's always been a chore for humans to treat others with equal respect. (God save us all!)

Just to be clear and with no intention to offend anyone,but England never gave anything to anyone or any country
Back in the day all they did was "invest" in their ventures offshore thru legal routes but in some case
s using their privateers
Btw i think that map is pretty funny thou

Not very clear at all. You wrote in English so I suppose England gave something to somebody?

You shouldn't be amazed. When I lived in Mexico, I was constantly discriminated against. Not sure that can be classified as racism, but some people automatically did not like me because of the way I looked. Don't underestimate that in Latin America. Just as there is a stereotype against Latinos in the U.S. that they are lazy and uneducated, here in Latin America, there are people that think Europeans and people from the U.S.A. especially are swindlers, greedy, and not to be trusted.

THAT is not RACISM..... discrimination yes.!!

Richard Dawkins proposes an interesting theory in "The Selfish Gene" that we are genetically preprogrammed to have racist tendencies. The book in general proposes the idea that we are fundamentally machines with the primary purpose of propagating our genetic material.

“Conceivably, racial prejudice could be interpreted as an irrational generalization of a kin-selected tendency to identify with individuals physically resembling oneself, and to be nasty to individuals different in appearance.”

Those pesky instincts. What is a species to do before destroying itself wholesale???

Racism is quite different here, I have felt discriminated due to color of my skin. Argies don't care about where are you from as long as you are white (blond) they just love white people irrespective of where are they from, they (all white people in my experience) think they are superior race.

I always wonder, why white people think we (black, brown, yellow) are lesser then them? do we look ugly? do we look dirty? what it is that made them feel that way or is it just genetic abnormality which let them think they are better? Having said, Argies are still not at the level of racism as people in UK or US.

For unknown reasons other Races want to emulate the white/European standards of beauty and other values....??

Back