Help Urgently Needed: Forum Expat Gone Nuts In My Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad things finally worked out for you. Tom and I had a very similar experience helping someone "in need" here on this forum, trashing our apartment, then trashing us on the forum. It is very upsetting and hurtful.
Nancy
I am as well. I am glad to hear that you have recovered your property. I as well have been in this situation. I rented my property once to a "friend of a friend" who was in a difficult situation for "just a few months". Well the day I gave him the keys was the last time he ever spoke to me, he never paid the rent, caused more than $10.000 pesos in damage, I had to pay him to leave plus lawyer's fees. Was probably the scariest and most difficult situation I have ever dealt with, I felt helpless and desperate. One thing I learned is that you can lend and help people by giving them things, or some money, however I would NEVER do favors with a property, it's just too big of a risk....a hard lesson learned, but it's just something that nobody should EVER do. May we all learn from each others positive and negative experiences. This board is the perfect place to commiserate with each other in good times and bad!!

YEY!!!! glad to read everything turned out in your favor!
Someday i will tell my story,involving fake doctors,fake prescriptions,interpol wanted posters, local police,tenats leaving in the middle of the night,9000 pesos in unpaid expensas plus couple or 3 months of no rent andd obviously the complete disaster i had to face once i was able to enter my property.
All in all i'm happy you got your property back and didn't miss a beat on your busisness,i wasn't so lucky :)

I am as well. I am glad to hear that you have recovered your property. I as well have been in this situation. I rented my property once to a "friend of a friend" who was in a difficult situation for "just a few months". Well the day I gave him the keys was the last time he ever spoke to me, he never paid the rent, caused more than $10.000 pesos in damage, I had to pay him to leave plus lawyer's fees. Was probably the scariest and most difficult situation I have ever dealt with, I felt helpless and desperate. One thing I learned is that you can lend and help people by giving them things, or some money, however I would NEVER do favors with a property, it's just too big of a risk....a hard lesson learned, but it's just something that nobody should EVER do. May we all learn from each others positive and negative experiences. This board is the perfect place to commiserate with each other in good times and bad!!
We have definitely learned our lesson. Every time we leave for Seattle, someone in BsAs asks us if we would rent our place to them. Sometimes I am tempted, but I don't think I would do that again. We have let Seattle friends use it while we're gone, but we know their homes in Seattle, and they are temporary ( a few weeks) and we have mutual friends.
N

If this is an exaggeration, sorry, (It might be very negative but can help) my sight is:
I would never put my property in rent if I am not completely sure that the other person has other place to go if this person cannot pay the rent. I would ensure this person to have a close relative (a father, a mother conveniently) as a "garante" (guarantor): "garantia de familiar directo, preferentemente padre o madre". This means a relative having a property and this relative being living for a long time, and you can see where the property is (inside Buenos Aires city conveniently, or in a good geographical area), you can ring the bell to see if the relative lives there, etc.; I do not know if you are aware that there are fake guarantors around, some persons offer to be a guarantor in exchange of $, and then they sell the property that suppose to be the warranty, or they are guarantors of many and many others persons so the guaranty might be almost void or there could be any other trick I ignore. Basically in addition to all the legal verification, I would also inquire the potential tenant where he works, a pay stub photocopy, how long has he been working in the company; I would try to call the potential tenant to his work to see if he is there, and whatever that might reduce the risks. In general who will try to scam, will try to argue, and say, who are you? (in bad manner) why are you asking me so many questions? etc. so then, you can say... sorry, I have other candidates who provided this information and are very interested, I will rent to whom can provide better guaranties... or something creative to avoid any argument, and try to get other candidate, if the situation turns very bad I would just say, ok, call me on next week to go ahead..., if the person calls you... wait a moment, wait a moment... (like many agencies do here). I have relatives who were once threatened because they did not want to rent a property... it is not very common, but I heard it has happened.

If this is an exaggeration, sorry, (It might be very negative but can help) my sight is:
I would never put my property in rent if I am not completely sure that the other person has other place to go if this person cannot pay the rent. I would ensure this person to have a close relative (a father, a mother conveniently) as a "garante" (guarantor): "garantia de familiar directo, preferentemente padre o madre". This means a relative having a property and this relative being living for a long time, and you can see where the property is (inside Buenos Aires city conveniently, or in a good geographical area), you can ring the bell to see if the relative lives there, etc.; I do not know if you are aware that there are fake guarantors around, some persons offer to be a guarantor in exchange of $, and then they sell the property that suppose to be the warranty, or they are guarantors of many and many others persons so the guaranty might be almost void or there could be any other trick I ignore. Basically in addition to all the legal verification, I would also inquire the potential tenant where he works, a pay stub photocopy, how long has he been working in the company; I would try to call the potential tenant to his work to see if he is there, and whatever that might reduce the risks. In general who will try to scam, will try to argue, and say, who are you? (in bad manner) why are you asking me so many questions? etc. so then, you can say... sorry, I have other candidates who provided this information and are very interested, I will rent to whom can provide better guaranties... or something creative to avoid any argument, and try to get other candidate, if the situation turns very bad I would just say, ok, call me on next week to go ahead..., if the person calls you... wait a moment, wait a moment... (like many agencies do here). I have relatives who were once threatened because they did not want to rent a property... it is not very common, but I heard it has happened.
The property in question is not the OPs home, it is her business, ie she does temp rentals for tourists, it is not a 2 yr rental with garantia.

Had rental duplexes for quite a few years (USA) and from my experience, it only takes one bad apple to undo everything financially. And the real irony for me was the tenants that I gave a break to with the deposit and/or break up first and last month's rent were always the ones that end up jacking you around and screwing you. You become a slave to their financial problems. Be a cold day in hell this Gomer will invest in any property for rental purposes.

So happy it was resolved without serious consequences for either party :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back