Hillary Rodham Clinton Next President Of The United States.

We have Donald Trump because both the Democratic and Republican parties have moved to the extreme. There are a lot of people in the US who now feel disenfranchised and Trump has tapped into that anger. He gets away with it because people feel like they have not been heard. Now they have a voice. That, combined with the blatant abuse of Executive Powers, among other things, by Obama has created a platform for a guy like Trump, as embarrassing as he is.

Having said that, the much more important conversation is the composition and future of the Supreme Court.

the democrats are far to the right of many other countries right wing parties. The republicans are so far to the right, many old school republican presidents would be "commie liberals"

A president is not a king. Use of Executive Orders is ostensibly meant for dealing with things that come up quickly and need dealing with outside the congress on special occasions due to time constraints. A president who is thwarted by congress should remain thwarted until the people's representatives get things worked out, in my opinion. Of course, in recent decades both parties' presidents have been making big use of EOs. Doesn't make it right.

And you point out the "churlishness" of Republicans currently. What about Bush's terms when the Democrats "churlishly" blocked almost all of Bush's appointments to federal judges because the neo-liberals were afraid of a bunch of conservative appointments? At least Bush's being blocked to appoint Harriet Miers to the SC was bi-partisan, so I can't really comment on his SC nomination being blocked as well.

And not that Republicans don't block Democratic nominations - I just find it interesting that one "side" talks about how the other side blocks and obstructs at every turn, but their "side" doesn't apparently do that. Even though I see the same thing on both "sides".

Don't you all realize that the idea of the "loyal opposition" in the US has faded away long ago and all "sides" now see each other as the problem? The US is becoming untenable.as a nation because of this. And the funny thing for me is, the more the government meddles, the worse things become, but everyone thinks the government has to "accomplish" something aside from making sure that the framework itself is being upheld and let the citizenry worry about day-to-day life...

A president is not a king. Use of Executive Orders is ostensibly meant for dealing with things that come up quickly and need dealing with outside the congress on special occasions due to time constraints. A president who is thwarted by congress should remain thwarted until the people's representatives get things worked out, in my opinion. Of course, in recent decades both parties' presidents have been making big use of EOs. Doesn't make it right.

And you point out the "churlishness" of Republicans currently. What about Bush's terms when the Democrats "churlishly" blocked almost all of Bush's appointments to federal judges because the neo-liberals were afraid of a bunch of conservative appointments? At least Bush's being blocked to appoint Harriet Miers to the SC was bi-partisan, so I can't really comment on his SC nomination being blocked as well.

And not that Republicans don't block Democratic nominations - I just find it interesting that one "side" talks about how the other side blocks and obstructs at every turn, but their "side" doesn't apparently do that. Even though I see the same thing on both "sides".

Don't you all realize that the idea of the "loyal opposition" in the US has faded away long ago and all "sides" now see each other as the problem? The US is becoming untenable.as a nation because of this. And the funny thing for me is, the more the government meddles, the worse things become, but everyone thinks the government has to "accomplish" something aside from making sure that the framework itself is being upheld and let the citizenry worry about day-to-day life...

Some good points. Do you recall anyone except Boehner actually stating aloud, in public, that [their] Congress would refuse to work with the President on any issue?

Are you guys even following the DNC wikileaks scandal? Wasserman Schultz, the head of the DNC, just announced her resignation.

They are all criminals. From both parties.

I disagree with GS_Dirtboy that Trump is the result of both parties becoming more extreme. Trump is the result of both parties being the same. Both parties are beholden to Wall Street, interest groups, unions and defense contractors. People are disillusioned with their (correct) perception that the entire "democracy" is a rigged game, a theater. So they vote for an outsider in the hopes that he will "rock the boat". Too bad that he is just an opportunist snake oil salesman.

CoJYE3bWYAAQF_S.jpg

I disagree with GS_Dirtboy ...

None-the-less I agree with both of you. But I'd add that part of Trump's appeal is that he doesn't take an opinion poll to find out what he thinks. (At least it seems that he doesn't.) And he thinks, as best he can, on his own - he doesn't let political correctness rules do his thinking for him. I'll never vote for him, but I do find those two things refreshing in a political candidate.

Bob

What I never understood is why Getulio shot himself.

Because he was a narcissist with an ego as big as Brazil (reminds you of someone?), and when he saw his political power and popularity collapse, and the prospect of leaving office in disgrace, he just could not take it.

The major mistake Trump made is that he said some really non-PC things particularly about illegal immigrants and women. He could have made his points without doing this. Because a lot of people have become very well trained in political correctness they will be impossible to win over. This is because identity politics have become very ingrained in a large segment of the populace. Why else would after almost eight years of the first black president race relations in the US are the worst in a generation.

None-the-less I agree with both of you. But I'd add that part of Trump's appeal is that he doesn't take an opinion poll to find out what he thinks. (At least it seems that he doesn't.) And he thinks, as best he can, on his own - he doesn't let political correctness rules do his thinking for him. I'll never vote for him, but I do find those two things refreshing in a political candidate.

Bob

I don't doubt that he thinks on his own without opinion polls and that he doesn't give a damn about what anyone else thinks, which is quite refreshing. As for lacking'political correctness'; if you mean he has no respect for anyone not like him and relishes calling women pigs and describes Mexicans as rapists, then you're right about that too.

Back