How do I quarantine 14 days in Buenos Aires and eat/get supplies?

I wouldn't use dollars for tipping.

First, small bills are worthless for practical purposes and the same trouble to exchange, but nobody wants them. Not practical.
While, if generous amounts, may put you in the peferred customer list, it may make you a target too.

Better to use our worthless bills, remaining generous, and show that you are in the same boat with the rest of us.

Iz

Ah I am staying an very fancy building in Palermo, and it is obvious I am coming from the airport because I will have a huge suitcase and be arriving at 2AM.

Can I tip in USD?

If he's awake he will gladly accept dollars a 20 perhaps ..?
I'm feel uncomfortable handing them money, prefer offering wines , empanadas , a budin de pan , a six pack, etc. an electrodomestico, etc.

Reactions: ben
We often share our dinner with the night watch guy.
Beer, sweets, clothing, etc is also welcome.

Iz

I wouldn't use dollars for tipping.

First, small bills are worthless for practical purposes and the same trouble to exchange, but nobody wants them. Not practical.
While, if generous amounts, may put you in the peferred customer list, it may make you a target too.

Better to use our worthless bills, remaining generous, and show that you are in the same boat with the rest of us.

Iz
It's a super fancy building, he is going to think my boat is a yacht. So won't he be expecting a very generous tip?

You wouldn't believe how cheap the fancy building dwellers usually are.
I live in one next to Patio Bullrich.

My building neighbors are so cheap that simple gestures turned all the buillding's workers smiles in our direction. Same can be said with most of the people that interact with us at the Patio.

There are two kinds of people around this area and the hard working ones don't have it easy.

Be generous, you'll be surprised.

PS: Learned this from the generous and kind spousal unit. Used to be another ungrateful SOB too. ;)

Iz

in my elite building ( I live in 2 buildings - one very elite and one lower middle class)..I believe no one tips them like I do. Thye have done me many favors over the years.. The rich Argentinians don't tip so much.

You have to stop thinking like an American and start thinking like an argentine. Sling those 10's and 50s left and right for tips. They're worthless to you but make good tip fodder. I usually give out hundreds for people that actually deserve a tip.

Tipping? One of the problems with regular tipping is that, before you know it, it's expected regardless of the service provided. An example, in the US food industry today, it is very common to enter a request for a coffee, a sandwich, or whatever, and then the server or counter person enters the order, and your payment instructions in the computer, then he/she turns this monitor around and has you add a tip and then sign, even though NO service was performed beyond taking an order.

Tipping behavior can be a road to hell. Be careful. Don't be stingy either. What's the Pavlov dog experiment? You ring a bell and give the dog a treat. Do this a few times, and then ring the bell, and the dog will salivate expecting the treat, even though none is coming!!!

There are tip jars right next to the cashiers at most takeout counters now - even in places like Panera and Dunkin Donuts. Ridiculous.

Pretty soon there will be tip jars at Seven Eleven, Safeway, and Walmart stores.

Tens are worthless and Fifties are rare. Start at a Hundred. Will make the recipient happy and might get the economy out of the coma a milisecond sooner.

We need to start spending if we want the old normalcy back.

Summer is upon us and it used to bring some economy slowdown. We can't afford it at this point. Need to start pushing in the other direction otherwise social unrest will become the flavor of the day.

This is no joke.

Iz

Back