How Has South America Changed You?

me 2!
was pissed, they asked me my documents for purchasing goods for 800 peso.

ROFLOL LOL welcome to The Twilight Zone! That is just freaky buy $70 USD worth of goods and we want your data. In other words if your not on a social program we want to know why?

Well, it depends a lot on the reason one moved to Sourh America in the first place. I don't think anybody came here for a career shift, so that's why we don't hear much complains about the lack of. Though I am still surprised to see a lot of rich people here. Where I come from, people with the money keep them in the bank and don't show it off so much, whereas people who would like to change their social status tend to be more flashy about the little (relatively speaking) they are making.

Today I was at Falabella and I was amazed at how pricey some kitchenware and kitchen appliances were, considering the low quality and very small selection available.
Who would spend over 9000 ARS on a KitchenAid?! I don't think they even have the various attachments for sale here...
It's like that in many poor (relatively) countries, a lot of $ for craps, but people do buy them, they either do not know or they do not have a choice, it doesn't mean they are rich or flashy. if you inherited a nice flat in Recoleta/Palermo, you have an average job, you do not have too much pressure financially, you can buy a Kitchenaid crap for 9000 pesos if you earn 15000 pesos a month.

you inherited a nice flat in Recoleta/Palermo, you have an average job

lol. so true. Most of my local female friends are in the age group of 28-32 and all of them have inherited a flat and a car!! half of them are jobless though!

amazing

Having said that, all of them go for at least one trip abroad every year...to Thailand, Europe, Dubai etc.

I guess, we would have to redefine "jobless" in the English dictionary

me 2!

They asked for my ID# just for calling to inquire about opening hours. Before telling me that they could not confirm the store hours for a particular store. :rolleyes:

They asked for my ID# just for calling to inquire about opening hours. Before telling me that they could not confirm the store hours for a particular store. :rolleyes:

This sounds like a place with too many customers. Perhaps their attitude will correct that problem for them.

S
Did they actually want to see your DNI or just asked for the number? Was this because you were paying with a credit card?

S
Did they actually want to see your DNI or just asked for the number? Was this because you were paying with a credit card?

Even before I could say, how I want to pay,..she demanded my "document".

In fact she took my document details in her pc before she started scanning the items.

Made me think if I am in a communist country.

I paid in cash...if this matters

--

a year ago, I was at zara and they had asked me for my document..I had pretended I am a tourist and had no idea what she was syaing..so they never took my document. Had paid in Cash

I guess I will act the next time.

Even before I could say, how I want to pay,..she demanded my "document".

I am not surprised. If you need to talk with customer care, even in person, they have a little terminal handing out tickets, but you have to enter you DNI first.
Apparently, all claims are registered under the DNI of the purchaser. The point is... and if I have never set a foot in your store, ever? Or if I don't even have a DNI?

It is incredible how much Argentinians are attached to DNI. We usually grocery shop at Coto, and they have a fidelity card that gives you 15% off each Tuesday, but it is strictly personal and you need a DNI to have one. So, my husband has one, I cannot have one. Thus I cannot go grocery shopping alone.
They won't accept my passport as an equivalent form of DNI, they don't offer a family card. They need to grow up, and fast!

I knew the DNI-show limit was ARS1000, have they changed this?! I found it very 1984, as well!

I am not surprised. If you need to talk with customer care, even in person, they have a little terminal handing out tickets, but you have to enter you DNI first.
Apparently, all claims are registered under the DNI of the purchaser. The point is... and if I have never set a foot in your store, ever? Or if I don't even have a DNI?

It is incredible how much Argentinians are attached to DNI. We usually grocery shop at Coto, and they have a fidelity card that gives you 15% off each Tuesday, but it is strictly personal and you need a DNI to have one. So, my husband has one, I cannot have one. Thus I cannot go grocery shopping alone.
They won't accept my passport as an equivalent form of DNI, they don't offer a family card. They need to grow up, and fast!

I knew the DNI-show limit was ARS1000, have they changed this?! I found it very 1984, as well!

I got my comunidad Coto card with my passport.

Back