How much is the cost of living in Buenos Aires in June 2023 in US$?

Thanks all, I am not planning to buy a house. I will be moving to CABA to get citizenship and do not plan to spend more time in Arg than the time required to get the Arg passport. In those 2-3 years

Accordig to one lawyer, that means at least seven months per year of the first two years to satisfy the "residency" (physical presence) requirement for citizenship, and you may need the lawyer to "help" you get back into the counry when you return for the second seven months.

I'd prefer to live in different part of Argentina. It's such a big country. It's surprising if someone compares Arg with Grenada.
I think the comparrison only applied to the ease of getting a passport without "legal
/official" residency status granted by mgraciones

Airbnb seems relatively affordable. About USD 200-300 per month.

Are you referring to rates specifically in the Microcenter?
Given the crime rates, maybe safer to stay with a landlord?

Given the crime rates in the Microcenter, it would be much wiser to stay in a safer neighbrhood and pay $400-$500.

What specifically do you mean by stay wth a landlord?

Did you mean only rent directly from landlords?
I wonder if the rental payments are acceptable in Peso (I can save money by using blue dollar rate).
The rental payments are only acceptable in pesos if the landlord accepts them. Most landlords want dollars, especially the ones who publish the monthly rates in dollars.

PS: I hope you don't feel like I am "interrogating" you.

I'm asking questions that I hope will tclarify you post and I also hope that others will benefit from reading your answers as well as my comments. 🤠

Last edited:
Thanks all, I am not planning to buy a house. I will be moving to CABA to get citizenship and do not plan to spend more time in Arg than the time required to get the Arg passport. In those 2-3 years, I'd prefer to live in different part of Argentina. It's such a big country. It's surprising if someone compares Arg with Grenada. :)

Airbnb seems relatively affordable. About USD 200-300 per month. Given the crime rates, maybe safer to stay with a landlord?

I wonder if the rental payments are acceptable in Peso (I can save money by using blue dollar rate).
Oh, such optimism! If only it was that easy.

You, my friend, are in for some rude awakenings when you arrive. Not trying to be a dick, just saying...

You, my friend, are in for some rude awakenings when you arrive. Not trying to be a dick, just saying...
I understand. Unfortunately, the world has changed so much in the last few years - Covid, Ukrain, US-China, blah blah...No place is perfect. My own country has too many shit...Argentina is much better on several paramenets, including passport rank and visa free travel in South and Central America. :)

Accordig to one lawyer, that means at least seven months per year of the first two years to satisfy the "residency" (physical presence) requirement for citizenship, and you may need the lawyer to "help" you get back into the counry when you return for the second seven months.
Sure, I am in touch with a couple of lawyers. Don't wann name them here.
I think the comparrison only applied to the ease of getting a passport without "legal
/official" residency status granted by mgraciones
Well, see the case of Vanuatu. It used to have a great passport. Then, because of the this Golden Visa issues, EU stopped visa free entry for Vanuatu passport. Who knows tomorrow more GV scheme would be under scanner. With Argentina, it's safe to assume the entire South America would be travel free. Carribean Passports have issues.
Are you referring to rates specifically in the Microcenter?
Not necessarily. As long as Subway access, Good Wi-fi, shopping malls, universities, etc. are close enough...
Given the crime rates in the Microcenter, it would be much wiser to stay in a safer neighbrhood and pay $400-$500.

Quite affordable. I was considering to move the Portugal. Finally, gave up European plan.
Did you mean only rent directly from landlords?
Quite often, the landlords rent only a part of their big house... they might be around I guess.
The rental payments are only acceptable in pesos if the landlord accepts them. Most landlords want dollars, especially the ones who publish the monthly rates in dollars.
I see. Bringhing $ to Arg might be an issue as I plan to reply on Westen Union to get Pesos.
PS: I hope you don't feel like I am "interrogating" you.
Not at all. Thanks
I'm asking questions that I hope will tclarify you post and I also hope that others will benefit from reading your answers as well as my comments. 🤠
Sure.

Not necessarily. As long as Subway access, Good Wife, shopping malls, universities, etc. are close enough...
This made me laugh out loud. I assume that was a typo, and you meant WiFi?
Internet access here can be a little problematic, but there is a new fiber optic service called iPlanLiv which is available in some neighborhoods

If you really meant wife, you might want to read the threads on that subject by user Fiscal, detailing his adventures with his argie wife.
"A veces el barato sale caro"

What specifically do you mean by stay wth a landlord?

Did you mean only rent directly from landlords? 🤠
Quite often, the landlords rent only a part of their big house... they might be around I guess.
That is not likey to happen anywhere in Argentina.

I can't imagine that any "Argentine landlord" would be willling to allow access to the house they live in (along with all of their personal property in it) to a renter (especially a foreigner without residency that was a total stranger), incable of providing any kind oof guarantee that the rent wud be paid ort that the renter would not steal from them and then just vansih.

Argentine landords rent out rental properties they own, but not rooms in the house they live in.

Nonetheless.at some point, you mght be able to find someone who wants to share a temporary rental with you for X number of months and split the costs.

A good place to look for someone willing to do that is undoubtedly here in the forum.

It may not be likely, but at least it's possible.

Last edited:
That is not likey to happen anywhere in Argentina.

I can't imagine that any "Argentine landlord" would be willling to allow access to the house they live in (along with all of their personal property in it) to a renter (especially a foreigner without residency that was a total stranger), incable of providing any kind oof guarantee that the rent wud be paid ort that the renter would not steal from them and then just vansih.

Argentine landords rent out rental properties they own, but not rooms in the house they live in.

Nonetheless.at some point, you mght be able to find someone who wants to share a temporary rental with you for X number of months and split the costs.

A good place to look for someone willing to do that is undoubtedly here in the forum.

It may not be likely, but at least it's possible.

The first time I came here I rented a room in an Argentinean woman's apartment. She turned out to be unhinged, everyday she had some creative new expense she wanted money for on top of the agreed rent. At the same time she seemed to live in terror I was going to steal from her, or more likely, bring a new friend back to the apartment who would. I left after 2 weeks even though I paid for a month

Back