How much more are you paying for your health (prepaga) insurance?

If you’re under 45 and with no kids absolutely.

Compared to my hometown, the insurance fee here is really expensive, especially when considering the ratio of the insurance fee to the consultation fee. If you want to cover your insurance fee, you'd have to visit the hospital every week.

For example, my child recently visited a private doctor, and the consultation cost around 20K to 30K pesos. If a blood test is needed, it adds another 20K pesos, bringing the total to 50K pesos.

For adults, I just buy medicine from the pharmacy.

I have to say, the costs here are very cheap, about 25% of what a private clinic in my hometown would charge. Since you wouldn't visit the doctor many times a year, I think it’s better to pay by yourself.

My habit is:
Go to a private clinic or hospital if you’re sick or have the flu.
Go to a public hospital for injuries.

By the way, I have family insurance, but it’s only valid in my hometown. It’s cheap and only covers major issues. If something serious happens, I would try to get on a plane and go back home for treatment.🤣

Compared to my hometown, the insurance fee here is really expensive, especially when considering the ratio of the insurance fee to the consultation fee. If you want to cover your insurance fee, you'd have to visit the hospital every week.
The main point of medical insurance is to protect you from the unexpected. You can rationalize about the cost of routine doctor visits or X-rays, but those are just side benefits. The real difference becomes clear if you're ever faced with a life-or-death situation.

People who didn't have insurance and went through this are usually not around to tell us that going without medical insurance was probably not such a good idea.

The main point of medical insurance is to protect you from the unexpected. You can rationalize about the cost of routine doctor visits or X-rays, but those are just side benefits. The real difference becomes clear if you're ever faced with a life-or-death situation.

People who didn't have insurance and went through this are usually not around to tell us that having medical insurance isn't really necessary.
I understand the importance of being prepared for unexpected situations, so I have insurance that covers hospital stays and serious illnesses.

In my opinion, there aren't many different insurance options or products available here (Maybe just I don't know).

In my hometown, we have health insurance that only covers hospital stays, injuries, checkups, surgeries, and serious illnesses. It reimburses expenses based on actual costs,

or excess insurance with very high coverage.

This kind insurance is much cheaper than one that covers regular doctor visits, eg. costing about $50 USD per month, with an annual limit of $500,000 USD.

After a few months where my premium dropped about $30,000p with Hosp. Italiano, it jumped up to $300,000 for August and informed yesterday that September will see another 5.78% increase. Not a surprise really, but as I've mentioned before, when will it stop?
$321,000 for September.

Back