how people live?

totally agree! it`s a complete rip-off and quality sucks...most of the stuff is just more expensive than anywhere else. why? they say it`s imported and comes from Europe or the U.S. (or China...).

The materials may be imported from China, but the manufacturing/assembling is largely done in Argentina. So the cost of Argentine mano de obra gets passed down to the customer.

steveinbsas said:
Not quite free. An asado for an extended family (on occasions like semana santa) can cost well over $500 pesos in carne alone...even in the provincia...650 KM from Alto Palermo...and don't forget the cost of the wine...and beer..and soft drinks...and the ingredients of a dozen salads...and other "unidentifiable" (at least to me) foods. :p

(Don't forget the cost of nafta and/or GNC for everyone to get there and the cost of the firewood and gas to cook the food.)
- but next Sunday somebody else invites and the rest don't pay, so in the end an asado cost you no more than the part you consume yourself; or - very common - the asado is canasta, meaning each participant bring what they want to eat and drink.

BROOKLYN said:
how much do u think an asado would cost for 10 people in bsas provincia? with beer and wine,picada, helado included? I may have to pitch in for the cost. its my aunts bday
Asado, 10 persons. Prices in pesos.

180 Meat, 10 x ½ kg
080 Wine 1 DamaJuana La Iride or Durét malbec 4.75 liter (48) + 1.25 l Cabernet Sauvignon (32) mix it as these malbecs are very heavy wines
030 Vegetables
040 Beer
030 soft drink in 2½ liter bottles
040 picada (depends on what, e.g. jamón crudo more expensive)
070 ice cream (or you can make a flan casero + caramelo, much cheaper (30))
050 bread, wood, etc.
------
520 pesos - give or take a little

YanquiGallego said:
Also here everything can be bought in cuotas--- even a purchase at the FarmaCity!

yes!!! and Jamon in Jumbo can be bought in cuotas!

Amargo said:
There you are, another Argentina 'expert' basing his observations on how people in Las Cañitas, Alto Palermo, etc live.

Actually Philips observations ring true and certainly not restricted to cheto areas:rolleyes: The guys that work for us here on the farm are always saving up to buy the latest phone/gadget/clothes. As soon as they can, they're purchasing.

This myth about the lack of consumerism is just that - a myth. People spend their money b/c what is the alternative? Put it in a saving account? Excuse me while I stop laughing. No one puts money in the bank unless they have to. Save it under their mattress and watch the value decrease day over day and month over month as the peso drops and inflation soars?

Walk into any mall, anywhere (and I don't live in Cap Fed). They're PACKED with people spending. Because again -what's the alternative?

1- We consume less. My phone is 3 years old. I could care less.
2- We live until later with our parents. Is not only money, I would not go to my own apartment at age 18. I was happy until I was 23 of living in my childhood home.
3- Rent outside Palermo is not so expensive. We also rent at local prices.
4- A wage of 8000 pesos for a professional is not unheard of. Is becoming the norm for many valued occupations. If the guy earns 8000, and his girlfriend another 6000 (a secretary), saving a third of that in 7 years they can buy a small house in the suburbs (70,000 USD) or a two rooms apartment. Many wages are of coure lower than that (think 3,500 pesos), poor people live far away from the city, were you can find houses for 40,000 USD; or the family own a small piece of land (land was cheap or even free in the 1960s-1970s) and they build little by little alongside their parents house.
5- Life outside Buenos Aires, in the provinces, can be 30% cheaper.
6- Cooking at home, going to 40-50 pesos restaurants, drinking outside the clubs and only one drink outside, going to free parties, free culture is abundant in Buenos Aires, hanging out with friends is free, and the Internet allows for -ehem- downloads. Is possible to buy a big TV to watch movies in cuotas.
7- Vacations if possible, in friends´houses, couchsurfing, going to Bolivia or Peru, camping, whatever.

I think citygirl is right, one thing is for sure porteños in general do not save pesos. Those that can and do save, are buying dollars and holding on to them. Its funny at work as soon as pay day comes (once a month), everyone picks up their phone and gets in contact with the bank, other contacts to purchase dollars. Many of my colleagues & friends keep them in safes at the bank (which are usually shared with family members). I am sure others keep it under the mattress!

trennod said:
I think citygirl is right, one thing is for sure porteños in general do not save pesos.

except for the moneda that they keep in jars...perpetuating the shortage of coins...

But many people on this board keep saying there is no shortage of coins problem?!

trennod said:
But many people on this board keep saying there is no shortage of coins problem?!

Perhaps there isn't. I've been out of CF for almost two years.

But the little shops here often don't have enough coins to make change.

But they always give a candy if they are 5 or ten centavos short.

Back