How To Bringing In Dollars To Bs As For Possible Business

Like said Henry, open a bank account in Uruguay, it takes 45 minutes to do so (you'll need to explain the origin of the funds though).
Furthermore, having the money ready on the other side of the river: protects you + allows you to master the time (like if there's sudden a big economical crash here = you'll have an incredibly great windows of opportunities for 2 months = my Uruguayan friends bought a pH in Cabrera x Bonpland for 40.000 USD in january or february 2002... It's likely worth now 5 times more, at least).

Opening a restaurant (one of my dreams) is great, but it has a well deserved reputation of being a very demanding business, with many risks, a lot of turnover for the employees (get ready for lawsuits...), etc. You already know that of course but well, when you add to that all the trouble with the inspectors & authorities (check the story of the Candy store of David, one of the members here), it's not for the faint hearted.
Bon'jour Mon'Amie Comme T appelle tu, Frenchie-san? Very appreciative of your wise guidance here. I know, I know, have vast experience in managing eatery place, Was once going through college in N.Y.C.and did for over 4 years commanded the Benihana of Tokyo Palace, Manhattan in the 70's..So I know the intricacies and hardship of human relationship with my then crews, cheffs, waitresses, front boys, bartenders etc.._ you mention here_ " Opening a restaurant (one of my dreams) are you still up to it? I have many ideas, I once and still in back of my head, naming the place " Maison Japonaise du Sushi" and offering my patrons a real fusion, a noveau japonica~franco mix, and thought the fusion palate, the (real umami amino abound) coming out of its merger could satisfy the most severe gastronomic genre..Do you still or are you up to it? If I can connect with you to discuss the possible merger! One of the Japonaise cheff Iam about to offer the job, even worked as apprentice in Maxime de Paris Tokyo..Any comment?

u can open a restaurant here. nothing weird about it. but u will have competition.
ceviche-san, Competition ? you have got be kidding me! I have been competing with the world's biggest Auto makers from GM,Ford down to M-Benz, BMW, V.W to The Renaults and Citroens to Jags, Fiats and more for over 35 years at Toyota~Lexus automobiles and sellin' for them and we have won over the competition, all of them! Yes, Iam aware that there are very competitive industry out there.But when offer the succulent gastronomy to the masses at very, very affordable price, the patronage will follow. I experienced that triumph managing Benihanas. Whilst going through college back in the 70's! But much thanks to your comment.

Come here. Get a pensioner visa. Get the lay of the land for 6 months AT LEAST. Learn Spanish. Find a reliable partner (not easy). Do market research. Then see what business to open.
Hello 'Montauk_Project'-san, are you a Barber~Cosmetician? Going by your avatar it seems that you are? Anyways, lay the land? What meaning this is? Get a lease for the property? I already a long time ago in Barcelona deep into catalan~Castellano so the langiage is no hindrance to me, thanks god! but the Voseo of Argentina is much to be desired ..Reliable partner, that is a big ask..

I think it would be hard to make it with a real japanese restaurant, with a measly hundred grand.
Now, more than ever before, there is a possibility it would work- there are more, edgier cuisine restaurants than ever before, many serving stuff that, only a few years ago, the "conventional wisdom" said argentines wouldnt eat.

But you would definitely need a knowledgable argentine partner, to navigate all the shoals- simply importing decent fish to serve would be a big hurdle.

Most world class japanese restaurants anywhere in the world- LA, London, Moscow, or Singapore- fly in fresh fish daily. Many have to fly in real wasabi, or nori, or even the right tasting burdock root.
Most of these authentic ingredients are just not available in BsAs, but, compounding the problem, importing stuff is harder, slower, and more expensive in Argentina than in probably 90% of the world.
Figuring out if its even possible to get daily air shipments of fish from Tsukji would take a while, and definitely require a connected Argentine partner.

Even in LA, really really good sushi can cost hundreds of dollars per person- and thats in a place with dozens of daily flights from Tokyo, and easy customs and import rules.
It is possible- restaurants like Olsen get stuff in, somehow, that you sure cant buy at Disco.

Argentine fish is not gonna cut it- the quality, and variety, is simply not there.
All the good stuff, worldwide, gets auctioned at Tsukji anyway, no matter if its from Chile or Alaska.

I dont think you would believe the stuff they call "sushi" here- canned tuna fish and cream cheese. Bastardized suburban california sushi, which there is made by mexican cooks in vietnamese restaurants, is better than most Buenos Aires sushi.
The worst part is- people here LIKE cream cheese on their sushi.

You absolutely have to come down for a month, and do your homework, before you even consider what kind of restaurant you could possibly open.

A ramen restaurant, something like Momofuko (except I am quite sure you aint no Chang) would probably be a better place to start.
Argentines already know they like noodles. And pork. And chicken. Miso, maybe a bit more of a stretch...
Ries-san, very good critique and comments here. yes, I meant bringing in _ How do I go abouts bringing in the hundread thousand(s) in US green backs which is required to open the business?_ I have way more than that as initial capital for Cuisine Japonaise implmentation scheme. Yes, I have to fly-in from Chile's Japanese owned fish harvesters the freshest catch very often, I also have a Wasabi farmer there in Chile whch cultivates the natural Wasabis using the cold running waters of southern Chile. I have aquintances in Ecuador ( the mecca for maguro ) in the business of sending them to Japan. No, Tsukiji market is way too far, would like to source all my ingredients mostly from Chile flown in by LANchile, no Aero lineas Argentinas ! Offering them, the locals I mean, the Sushi, Yakitori, Tonkatsu, Tempurs Curry ( Japanese style ) easier to make! And of course, the Ramen and Udon-Soba can't be missed.. I am awaiting to finish my last scalpel incision surgery to fix my right ankle then will be ready to depart to Chile~Argentina for Gstronomic eater place possibility real feasibility study there. And No, Iam no "changs" but Nipponese, the real deal Samurai Mccoy! Please more critique suggestion - Domo-Argatou Gozaimasu. P.S. The Tsukiji worlds biggest fish market is no more. They are closed due to relocation! If something like this exist in Bs As.. https://www.google.com/search?q=tsukiji+market+pics&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS377US377&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CqkGUujcFqamygGKoYDADw&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1149&bih=627#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=4edf65aa14c6d4ab&q=tsukiji+market+pics&sa=1&tbm=isch

Rich One's menu link reinforces my point as to the bizarre nature of Argentine sushi- I had forgotten, they often put Mayonaisse in their sushi, along with canned tuna and cream cheese.

ICK.

On the other hand, contrary to the naysayers here, it is perfectly possible to start a restaurant here, as an expat, and do well- but you must have local partners.

A recent example is La Cresta, in Almagro
http://pickupthefork...g-over-almagro/

it breaks all the rules- everybody knows Argentines dont buy fast food to go, they dont eat mysterious unknown things like wraps, they dont like spicy, they want familiar, and so on.

And yet, a Brit and his argentine wife are doing gangbuster business, making all kinds of unfamiliar things- and the times I have been in there, the clientele is mostly locals, with expats coming on long pilgrammages across town as well, because the food is so damn good. His rent is cheap, his overhead is low, and I cant wait to go back.

Yes but look at your example
1) One is an expat but is married to an Argentine so you don't have the expat issue.
2) It looks to be a take out type of place, not a restaurant.
(Kudos to them though, it looks fantastic)

It certainly can be done - look at Sugar - although that's more bar than restaurant. But it isn't easy under optimum circumstances and for someone just landing in the country, it would be really, really difficult. That was my only point. Opening a puerta cerrada would make the learning curve a lot less steep.

Hybrid Ambassador, I don't know how many people advising you are in business in Argentina, but of course you will always find a lot of nay sayers who think you can't do it. But still I agree so much with those who say to come here first and get the lay of the land. I think that's good advice anywhere, but especially in Argentina.

Perhaps you could even work for an established restaurant, just to see what problems they have to deal with. There are so many pitfalls and so many laws that make it tough, don't make sense to me, cause more problems for people who are not smart enough to figure out that is is not helping them like they think that it is! And yet I know successful business people here. But they know how to navigate the system. And it is different from anything I have seen anywhere. If you don't understand it, you are a lamb in the woods, as I was when I first came here--and I'm still being surprised by new discoveries.

Also, as mentioned, if you bring money in, and it doesn't work, it might not be so easy to get it back out again. Also my very successful, knowledgeable Argentina mentor tells me now is not the time to buy anything in Argentina--you wait for the crisis. The way things are going, it may be the crisis is not more than a couple years ahead and by then you could be well oriented.

There are business people among the expats who perhaps could help you get oriented. Whatever you do, if you come I hope you will keep us informed, and I, for one, will be cheering for you!!!!
Hello 'arlean-san, I thank you very much for your wise words of wisdom.. Most certain that I will be there for extended time to study the picturesque Argentine business sceanery before I commit..I have to do something beneficial for me and all associated to me. I will have alot many mouth to feed and pay them equally well. Also, very big responsibility to boot.. Thanks again and have more wise comment coming my ways!

to the best of my knowledge if you bring money in USD in to your bank account (assuming you can get one), it will be converted into pesos at the official rate.
I had a bank account here when i was not a resident some years ago, but i think that has changed.
the best way to maximize the USD-peso rate in blanco is the contado con Liqui option also mentioned many times on the site. (you buy arg bonds in usd from another country-then transfer bond into argentina then sell bonds in pesos at just below blue rate).
i also like the send the money to uruguay option and learn a bit more about your business and how it would work here.
good luck
n
Canick-san, Very well, thank you for your suggestions.!

There is nothing wrong with developing a Business Plan..... :D

Back