How To Deal With Crazy Argentine Neighbors

Davidglen77 and GS-Dirtboy,

Your messages are clear proof of what happens when expats stay in Buenos Aires too long. As Nietzsche said:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."
I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Actually people who think that one shouldn't defend their rights to live in peace and security and just "live with it" are the ones who have become complacent and do nothing to improve things. Those of us who take measures (and here sometimes drastic is the only way) and put ourselves on the line so that we and others don't have to deal with the same quality of life issues for eternity are the defenders of society. In some small way we are.......congratulations to those who stick up for themselves and others even though it may be uncomfortable to do so. See my blog as well: www.escrachados.com

Your messages are clear proof of what happens when expats stay in Buenos Aires too long. As Nietzsche said:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

Yup. I wasn't even living a long time in BA compared to a lot of board members and one of the reasons I decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my life here was because I felt I was changing, that my morals were changing, in response to all the BS I had to put up with. The way I handled any sort of conflict situation out in the world had changed significantly and I was really beginning to wonder what was happening to me because I didn't like it one bit. I spent a few months in the U.S. before moving out of the country again and I really had to make an effort to go back to catching flies with honey and using reason and logic and things like that instead of just getting upset (or feigning being enormously offended) to solve a problem. To be honest, it wasn't easy and to this day there's an Apple genius bar I avoid because I pitched a porteño-style fit there that I probably really shouldn't have shortly after I left BA the last time. :/

The other night a grad school friend and I stopped by a kiosco on the way home so she could get some water. The guy was a jerk for no reason. She requested agua sin gas and he yelled at her that of course he's going to give her agua natural, why would he give her agua con gas if she didn't ask for it. I mean this guy was seriously pissed. She just kind of froze and blinked at him, and I just sighed and took the bag from him when he shoved it out to us. That sort of nonsense is the nothing new for me here so I didn't think much of it, but she was shocked, and she is no country mouse. When we were leaving, she said the following: "So you once told me you left here because you didn't really like the people. I'm starting to get what you're talking about." I just shrugged. I'm always happy to answer questions for my friends who are new in town, but I try to keep my negative opinions to myself because I want them to have a nice time here. A few days later, the same friend got a rancid bottle of olive oil from the chino. I told her she should be able to return it, but to be prepared for the dueño to get really defensive. I said she might have to throw a bit of a tantrum to exchange it, because you just never know. She decided to cut her losses and just buy another one from elsewhere. Not what I would have done, but I really couldn't blame her. I am having a great time being back in what I call "Buenos Aires Light" with my blue dollar as a student, but it has also been good confirmation that my decision to leave was the right one. The person I had to be to deal with Buenos Aires Heavy is not a person I want to be ever again.

Cute and a bit romantically introspective. But, I've seen your posts regarding Porteños and Argentines in general. You are the last person to turn the other cheek when dealing with inconsiderate people here. :)

It will take three generations to make any significant change to the general negative attitudes of most Argentines. I believe that if one does not at least attempt to explain to them why their attitudes , etc.. are poor , they will never get it. I will not sacrifice my morals and values because many of those here have lowered theirs.

I am so glad I am not the only one having problems with neighbors :) Here the neighbors across the street always park their cars in front of my house (I live in a suburb here, so usually you park you own car in front of your own house). But that wasn't enough. So the idiot neighbors started to park their cars in front of my driveway. The final step was that they parked their car in front my drive way and left (!!!) ... so I could not get my car out of the garage. What I found out was, that they do not appreciate putting egg yolk all over their freshly washed white truck. Since I have decorated their car with egg yolk - they have not blocked my driveway again. So go with the super glue idea ...

Cute and a bit romantically introspective. But, I've seen your posts regarding Porteños and Argentines in general. You are the last person to turn the other cheek when dealing with inconsiderate people here. :)

I did not mean you should turn the other cheek. That is definitely NOT what I am suggesting anyone do. I complain a lot. I yell. I curse. I fight back. I just try to not go down to their level. I understand that it is hard to do. That is the point. When you stay in BA long enough, you can't help it but to become what they are. And that is frightening.

If you have already complained to her twice, I would write a letter to the management company explaining your issue. In that letter I would also include a statement about the gym and the fact that you didn't mean to offend anyone and do not drop the weights as claimed. That way you have everything in writing and can CYA.

I did not mean you should turn the other cheek. That is definitely NOT what I am suggesting anyone do. I complain a lot. I yell. I curse. I fight back. I just try to not go down to their level. I understand that it is hard to do. That is the point. When you stay in BA long enough, you can't help it but to become what they are. And that is frightening.

Ok, just for the record I didn't shoot her or her dog. I would never shoot her dog. Not the dog's fault it barks. I just made life as miserable for her as it was for the rest of living near her.

Ok, just for the record I didn't shoot her or her dog. I would never shoot her dog. Not the dog's fault it barks. I just made life as miserable for her as it was for the rest of living near her.

I bet you could train the dog by getting one of those dog whistles. When the dog starts barking when you are around, blow the whistle until the dog stops. After a few times, it will start to get the idea.

Back