How to get USD for rent without fees?

Re credit cards - I've never done it but keep in mind that but most credit card companies charge enormous cash advance fees - may be close to 25% APR? If you're going to pay it off in full, instantly - that may not be a concern but something to be aware of and be cautious.

ElQueso said:
The first time I came down here in 2006, I brought traveler's checks. I had a hard time cashing them, and none of the apartments that I tried to rent would accept them. I finally found a bank on Las Heras that would cash them (can't remember the name, but it was French-sounding). They were American Express traveler's checks.

As far as buying them here - she'd run into the same problem - how to get the money to being with.

Sara, it doesn't hurt to have cash anyway, as long as you are careful with it. I'd pull the money out of the ATM anyway, just to be safe, in case there is some problem getting the American Express card down here before you have to pay.

For example, if it comes via regular mail, you may find that the mailing itself delays more than a month getting to you here. If you have it sent by someone in the States, have it sent by private mail such as DHL or FedEx. I recommend DHL because it's cheaper, although someone recently told me that DHL pulled out of the US for private consumers and just does business transactions now. I haven't verified this.

Thanks for the input, I know that a lot of people buy them/cash them at American Express close to Plaza San Martin, also Banco Supervielle offers them as an alternative to carrying cash in dollars, maybe it is not a great idea ...

ElQueso said:
Temporary properties are usually listed in USD because the majority of people using them are foreigners. Long term leases, as I was explained by my lawyer and my real estate agent, are denominated in pesos by law.

[...]

If it is possible to have USD accounts here, the same thing may happen again if there is a financial crash.

As far as you getting here and easily opening up a bank account (that's one thing) and then easily transferring money to it - don't bet on it.

I know of a few people (no one I know personally) who have claimed to be able to open up bank accounts with their passport. I have never been able to talk to anyone personally who has actually done this. I have tried for three years and have been unable to.

I was recently able to because I was able to prove that I am getting my residency, and I have to have a bank account to get the residency.

Thanks for the info! I was just wondering as it seemed SO many agencies and even non-tourist websites seem to list prices in USD.

I wouldn't use a USD bank account for long-term savings but moreso to avoid having to sort out bringing in large amounts of cash via complicated manoeuvres from Canadian banks.

I was actually born in Argentina and while I will have to update my DNI & passport (and have started this), once they are up to date, obtaining a bank account should be reasonably painless as I won't have to jump through the residency hoops or anything similar.

nikad said:
Thanks for the input, I know that a lot of people buy them/cash them at American Express close to Plaza San Martin, also Banco Supervielle offers them as an alternative to carrying cash in dollars, maybe it is not a great idea ...

Banco Supervielle was the bank I was thinking of that cashed my travelres' checks actually, about three years ago though.

I have people send me a moneygram that I get USD for at the Banco Piano on San Martin. I think the limit in USD is $4k a month. Anymore than that and they will only let you have pesos.

arty said:
I have people send me a moneygram that I get USD for at the Banco Piano on San Martin. I think the limit in USD is $4k a month. Anymore than that and they will only let you have pesos.

Arty, how much does that cost? And where does a "moneygram" come from - what company?

Has anyone tried the new paypal "send money internationally" feature.
It looks like they would charge $25 to send 5K to Argentina from the states. But I have no idea what happens after that. Maybe convince the landlord to sign up for paypal (it's free) and tell them thats the only way you'll pay them in USD upfront. I use paypal here in the states and have been looking into it as a way to get my money to Arg once I move.

ElQueso said:
Arty, how much does that cost? And where does a "moneygram" come from - what company?

For you to cash a money gram there isn't any fee. The sender pays the fee. I am not sure how much it is though. I know it's a lot cheaper than Western Union.

For more info-
https://www.moneygram.com

SFwill said:
Has anyone tried the new paypal "send money internationally" feature.
It looks like they would charge $25 to send 5K to Argentina from the states. But I have no idea what happens after that. Maybe convince the landlord to sign up for paypal (it's free) and tell them thats the only way you'll pay them in USD upfront. I use paypal here in the states and have been looking into it as a way to get my money to Arg once I move.

If you get a citibank or HSBC account can't you just link your paypal up to that?

arty said:
If you get a citibank or HSBC account can't you just link your paypal up to that?
Paypal does not work with any Argentine Banks, you can open a Paypal account ( virtual ) but will never see the cash unless you have a bank account from any of the countries they work with.

Back