How to get USD for rent without fees?

arty said:
For you to cash a money gram there isn't any fee. The sender pays the fee. I am not sure how much it is though. I know it's a lot cheaper than Western Union.

For more info-
https://www.moneygram.com

I believe Moneygram is similar to WesternUnion

nikad said:
Paypal does not work with any Argentine Banks, you can open a Paypal account ( virtual ) but will never see the cash unless you have a bank account from any of the countries they work with.

but if you had a citibank or hsbc acct from the usa, wouldn't that acct be accessible here though those branches?

arty said:
but if you had a citibank or hsbc acct from the usa, wouldn't that acct be accessible here though those branches?

Not usually, although someone mentioned in another thread that (I think it was) with Citi if you had a large sum of money, which was required for a certain kind of account, you could access your money from here through a branch.

As I understand it, the Argentine banking system is not "normal" in terms of allowing easy access to international banking markets and things that you can count on in many countries in the world to move your money around, due to the laws enacted here.

SaraOR said:
Hey, I just put down $1000 pesos to reserve a great apartment for Jan 1st. The realtor gave me a break in the price since I am willing/able to pay for 6 months up front. But she's asked me to pay within the next week or so. I've been trying to figure out how to get about $5,000 USD quickly without paying too much in excess fees. I only see two options:

1) Take out close to 20,000 pesos in about 10 days using 2 different US bank accounts and incur plenty of ATM fees
2) Transfer money online to a friend in the states, have them send it via Western Union to me (this would cost about $200 USD in fees)

I read about the American Express option, but am not currently a cardmember. I just applied online and was approved, but the card is being sent to my address in the states and didn't I bring any personal checks here...

I feel like this must be a common situation expats find themselves in since so many realtors want cash only. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

FYI how big is this APT

im paying something around the same for a 3BR/2BH and a huge Terrace

5000 USD for 6 months is not an outrageous price. :confused: 800 USD a month (approximately) is a perfectly reasonable price for a 1BR. If you're paying that for 3 BR, I congratulate you.

Ryoga said:
FYI how big is this APT

im paying something around the same for a 3BR/2BH and a huge Terrace

Is that a furnished or unfurnished apartment, does it include utilities, is it a 2 year lease or a temp contract? These things make the difference in $ terms

Sara,

You can get thousands of dollars at Superveille Bank in Plaza Guemes (I think that's what it's called, the square around Charcas y Salguero). They will let you withdraw using your ATM card for a minimal price (I think that day the exchange rate was 3.85 and they charged me 3.8 or something). Your bank at home only pays one fee (usually the standard foreign ATM transaction fee).

I freaked out too when I paid in advance, and this board tends to cover overreaction. I'm sure it's fine. Pay your deposit, then pay the rest when you get the keys and sign the contract.

Suerte,

Mike

SFMike said:
I freaked out too when I paid in advance, and this board tends to cover overreaction. I'm sure it's fine. Pay your deposit, then pay the rest when you get the keys and sign the contract.

Ask the person who tried to move into the apartment (on another thread) and was told that the person currently living in it refused to leave how she feels about that.

The thing is, you can take chances like that, and most of the time you will never have a problem. It's the one time you have a problem and can't get your money back that you will find out why we make the suggestions we make.

It wouldn't be very funny if they get the keys and contract a week in advance and when they get there the apartment won't open to the keys. Or someone is in there already living. What does one do then? Even assuming you would get the money back (which is not necessarily a given, but most probable), what would you do at that point with the agent out of town?

I rented temporary apartments for more than a year and I NEVER had anyone (owner, agent, etc) even suggest that I should pay anything other than deposit up front.

It's like walking through a bad neighborhood at night - chances are you'll be fine, but why take the chance? Particularly with $5000 dollars and the absolute plethora of temporary apartments available in this city?

nikad said:
Is that a furnished or unfurnished apartment, does it include utilities, is it a 2 year lease or a temp contract? These things make the difference in $ terms

furnished+utilities+maid

well im not paying 800, we're paying 1200 and didnt negotiate down for 5 months. my portion is 450 which is a lot better than the 1450 i was paying for a 1BR w/parking in LA

its a matter of luck really, so many rip offs in this town

Back