How To Receive Alimony From Overseas Spouse

rockinkaj

Registered
Hello all.Kathleen here.
I am a Canadian who left Canada in 2009 to go to Argentina to marry. Was married 5 years.. Marriage was a disaster.. Could not get my Permanent residence no matter how many times I tried,just got the run around till I eventually I held off.. I was getting 0 help from him.. The language was a big problem for me as well.. as far as any legal affaires were concerned.. So as a result was not eligible to work or have bank accounts.. I was a homemaker.. took care of the home while my spouse worked. He was always an abusive person,and eventually started raising his hand to me,so the marriage eventually dissolved. with me returning to Canada.. with basically nothing but a few thousand dollars to get started..Now after a year he sends me an email stating he wants me to sign papers to divorce me, saying he cannot make any bank transactions without my signature as well.. I would like some help if you would be so kind .. I would like to know what are my options,concerning financial support from him? He has a permanent job,2 homes. and also receives money from the Gov. for serving in the Falkland War..I on the other hand . before leaving Canada had a good job apartment was doing well and left everything to marry him.. Now I am left with nothing and am struggling to find work... I also noticed in the papers he has sent to me he is asking me to lie about dates of my departure and that I am at the moment being represented by a lawyer of HIS choosing which I am obviously not ,because I am in Canada and he is in Argentina... which leads me to believe he is trying to avoid supporting me financially.. Because the papers are in Spanish,, I cannot fully comprehend their meaning.. Or what I am exactly agreeing to or signing... But I do understand that they say that I am basically waiving my rights to any support from him.. which concerns me..
What would be the best route to go? Thank you

You need professional Argentine legal advice on the permutations of your situation and their potential impacts before you decide to do or respond to anything.

If you do not have kids, did not buy any property after you got married to him, are able bodied, have education and capacity to get a job in yr home country - you are not due for any alimony as per Argentine law.

Regarding him beating you and torturing you, you need to prove that in court and thats a separate criminal case.

You need a lawyer. If you can't afford one, for sure there is a legal aid or other free/low-cost organization that can help you.

If you do not have kids, did not buy any property after you got married to him, are able bodied, have education and capacity to get a job in yr home country - you are not due for any alimony as per Argentine law.

Regarding him beating you and torturing you, you need to prove that in court and thats a separate criminal case.

Please seek advise from a local legal expert in Divorce Law, to determine what sort of Divorce settlement you deserve.
Where you married in Argentina?
Phone the Argentine consulate nearest to you and ask for advice, Also phone the Canadian Consulate in B.A.

Request a certified English translation of all documents, by the Canadian Consulate.

Please seek advise from a local legal expert in Divorce Law, to determine what sort of Divorce settlement you deserve.
Where you married in Argentina?
Phone the Argentine consulate nearest to you and ask for advice, Also phone the Canadian Consulate in B.A.

Request a certified English translation of all documents, by the Canadian Consulate.
Thank you yes we were married in Argentina..

I did not mention that he beat or tortured me .. I said that he was abusive

Back