how to translate chef d’une table exceptionnelle

Jcyordenana

Registered
Hello expats, especially speakers of french and french restaurant lingo experts!

I'm stuck on a French expression here, hoping someone on this board can help me. I'm a proofreader going over a French to English translation and the phrase, 'chef d’une table exceptionnelle' has been translated as 'chef of this truly exceptional table.'

I understand chef d'table means chef's table, but it doesn't sound right to me in English, as in, 'he is the chef of the exceptional table preserved by the Cheto family for generations,' when it refers to the head chef of the restaurant owned by the Chetos, not the Cheto family's personal chef.

Has anyone seen 'table' used this way in English restaurant-speak? I'm wondering if it's something typically left in French, chef d'table...

thanks for your help!

the explantation of ' chef's table' is just a table in front or in the kitchen. the head chef will make and serve his creations to you and your guests..... "a special treatment" i used to be a head chef myself ;)

chefs table is a special dining table
but i get the feeling the gist in this phrase is more aimed to convey the message that
he the

Chef sets an exceptional dining experience (table)

okay, thanks for your help! My problem is that I don't think it makes sense in English or conveys the same thing as it does in French, to say the 'the chef of an exceptional table maintained by the Cheto family blah blah blah.'

but maybe I'm wrong, and in the restaurant world one can say chef of the table. and it means 'head chef' or executive chef. anyone else on 'chef of the table', does that convey 'executive chef' or 'head chef'?

got another one: mousseux d'aneth. It was translated as sparkling dill. that can't be right!
I get that mousseux is sparkling wine, but I can't confirm 'aneth' as dill.

I understand it differently.
I think it refers to the "spread" or culinary delights layed on by the chef. In most non anglo European languages table refers to the variety of offerings on a menu as well and that way the continuation of the sentence makes sense when it talks about the recipes that have been handed down through generations .
If it was the actual chef´s table the only sense the continuation of the phrase table preserved by the Cheto family for generations,' would be that they polished it a lot over the years ..;)
I would say go away from the word table and use something like menu offerings.

Hi!

I'm an experienced proofreader/reviewer from Eng to Fre (mostly in legal/financial translations though).

"Table" here means "cuisine". It means the quality of the plates/food being served.

Therefore "chef d’une table exceptionnelle" means the Chef of an exceptional restaurant

In French, "Table" here means the furniture, it's an illustrative way to mean that what you'll eat on it will be great.

Back