How tough is it to go and live in the USA

I used to do payroll for a company that made precast concrete structures in Texas. I can tell you that the illegals who worked there presented social security numbers that were either counterfeit (and really good too) or were duplicates that somehow they had gotten from real citizens.

The latter was the most common cause for problem - we'd have the Texas Unemployment Commission come after us when someone made a claim and it became obvious that there were two different people using the same number.

Somehow the IRS never gave us any troubles.

Definitely not an "urban legend" and illegals (at least a goodly portion of them) definitely pay into the system.

Just work on your Irish Brogue, and you can find a lot of bars that will hire you in South Boston, New York City, and Chicago.

Seriously the Obama administration is looking to overhaul the immigration laws of the United States.

So to answer your question it looks like a "wait and see" approach is your best answer.

Ries said:
The reality is that in any city in the USA, you can get a fake SS card in ten minutes, especially if you can speak a bit of spanish, and dont look like a cop.

And fake Green Cards. Maybe fake driver's licences as well. But you get what you pay for: I've seen immigration officers laughing at the workmanship of some cheap Green Cards.

Maybe you should consider Canada? Very similar life-style and living standards to US but few guns and a real health-care system. Don't see British as alien (and even understand and mostly use the correct spelling of flavour.) Can't help with the details (I came from Britain with my Canadian wife) but I think you will find them more receptive. Love to say 'why would you want to live in the US anyway', but I won't!

I don't practice employment law, but I have cause to be acquainted with this area of regulation and I don't have any recollection of coming across the term "work authorisation" in any applicable statute - the term having been previously used in this thread. There is a US provision for a "employment authorization document" or EAD. In current, real world scenarios, the likelyhood of certain applicants for employment being required to produce one is not common. If one acquaints one's self with the subtleties of the regulation, this will be obvious.

And, I nor anyone I personally know, has ever seen anyone from ICE laugh at anything other than naiveté of the US citizenry.

couple have mentioned canada and I quite like the idea of Canada too. What are the main differences in immigration regulations between US and Canada for a UK citizen. Would it be easier?

fromtheneighborhood said:
In current, real world scenarios, the likelyhood of certain applicants for employment being required to produce one is not common. If one acquaints one's self with the subtleties of the regulation, this will be obvious.

Anywhere you go for a job in the US, you have to show you are eligible to work (unless the work is off-the-books). The employer has to fill out a form showing that he has examined your identification and eligibility to work. You have to produce either authorisation from Immigration, or a Green Card, or documentation showing you are a US citizen. In short, you are talking utter bilgewater.

esllou said:
couple have mentioned canada and I quite like the idea of Canada too. What are the main differences in immigration regulations between US and Canada for a UK citizen. Would it be easier?

I believe they have a point system (points awarded to qualification, kin in the country, age, and maybe other factors as well). Several of my acquaintances have migrated there -- but few have obtained real employment. I think it is easier than the US. And their health care system, as someone has commented, is much better for the ordinary citizen.

What are the main differences in immigration regulations between US and Canada for a UK citizen. Would it be easier?

Tim Horton's v. Dunkin Dounuts
Ice Hockey v. Baseball
3 Downs v. 4 Downs
French v. Spanish
Wind Burn v. Sun Burn
Ski Doos v. Snowmobiles
Long lines at Hospital v. Long Lines at Hospital (wait?)
no tipping v. tipping
toques v. hats

I could go on. I am not really going to discuss "immigration issues", although I have a close friend that specializes in immigration law. I would say that if you are really serious, you should consult an attorney as the U.S. "punishment" for coming illegal and staying, should you get caught can be quite severe (10 year banishment), especially if you want to live "en blanco", or as we say here, "on the books". If you want to just try for a year and fully expect to go somewhere else then just come on a tourist visa, find temp work (barman, construction, private tutor) if possible. But to me I would try and do things "legit" in case you want to stay.

In terms of Canada, I would try Montreal! If my wife could take the cold we would be considering there in addition to BsAs. It is a wonderful city and my brief sense of Canada is that it is a bit more civilized and polite than the U.S.

Back