I haven't been able to get a good night's rest anywhere here

El Duderino

Registered
Had to get this off my chest, as it's really starting to affect my mood and overall health:

1st apartment: On Rivadavia, one of the busiest streets in the city. Noise all night.
2nd apartment: Palermo Soho, the elevator beeped extremely loud whenever the elevator door was left open for more than 5 seconds (this happened constantly). Basically woke me up like an alarm clock. PLUS someone took to hammering on the floor above where I slept in the morning for a few weeks.
3rd apartment, current apartment: Thought I found a gem, on the top floor. HOWEVER, the first morning and every weekday morning since (with some Saturdays), woken up by new apartment construction next door at 7:30AM. My schedule does not require me to wake up before 9am, so you can see the problem with this. Also, there is a dog next door that howls EVERYTIME an ambulance goes by, all night.
Hotel in Lujan for work: Church bells ringing every 30 minutes, my god.
Hotel in Mercedes for work: People with LOUD motorcycles wake me up multiple times a night, as the hotel is on a street. And a stupid paloma decided to make really loud mating calls outside my window starting at 5 AM.

In my 3 years of city living in Chicago, in 3 different apartments, I never experienced anything close to this (even living 50 yards from the L). I'm not that even that light of a sleeper.

I'm sure a lot of this can be attributed to bad luck, but I can't be alone here.

:(

Earplugs?

Noise is a problem, but I think you have to figure out how to live with it, rather than avoid it.

Loud city + subpar construction on a lot of buildings + lack of rules about when construction can occur = lack of sleep. You're not alone.

Some tips:
1) Sound-proof windows. I lived on an apt on Libertador and Matienzo on the 4th floor, front facing and when the windows were shut - I didn't hear a peep.
2) Older buildings. They often have better construction, thicker walls, etc.
3) Contrafrente is your friend.
4) High floors are better
5) Always, always, always check the neighborhood. Busy street = bad. Bus route = really, really bad. Lots of bars around = bad.

Contrafrente is better but if there are terraces and roof top gardens you may have loud parties in warm weather. There isn't a thing you can do about it.

I never go to BA without a good supply of earplugs. I try to get out of the city whenever I can to give the nerves a rest as well.

Doesn't work for everyone, but have you tried white noise? You can get apps for ipods/ipads/android, and some work when the device is charging... A loud fan or air conditioner, of course, can also do the trick.

BAwithkids said:
Doesn't work for everyone, but have you tried white noise? You can get apps for ipods/ipads/android, and some work when the device is charging... A loud fan or air conditioner, of course, can also do the trick.
I agree, I've lived in big and small cities, at busy intersections, next to busy train tracks, etc, etc. and have been sleeping with a fan on since I was 7 or 8. The only things that wake me up are my kids tapping me, the telephone, the alarm, or construction noises in the same building:)

El Duderino said:
I always sleep with the fan on, for noise purposes. But it's not enough.

It might be worth trying white noise that is louder - no harm done if it doesn't work...

Funny thread, but true. BA is like a My Cousin Vinny movie over and over again...We had issues from construction, to gallinos (and I live in Palermo Hollywood), to elevators, to some guy upstairs practicing his cumbia dancing skills.

I guess it could happen in any major city...minus the gallos....

Back