I See Larger Headcount Of Gringo In Argentina Vs Rest

I have spent considerable time in both countries and, if pressed, I might say that I like Chile better, but that Argentina is more interesting. If I were running a business, it would much simpler in Chile, and the near absence of corruption is a huge advantage. Santiago is an underrated city, and its access to recreational resources such as the Andes and the coast is far superior. I own property in Buenos Aires, but that's partly because my wife is Argentine and we have family here, and I would miss it greatly if I couldn't come.

Ambassador, we are all insane, that's why. There's a reason there are more psychiatrists in Buenos Aires than any other city in the world

(giggle - just kidding). Also, looking from outside, you may not realize that there is an ongoing battle between Chile and Argentina. Argentinians, as a rule, do not like Chileans either (gringos may not have an opinion about that but lots of local folks do!). I talked with an impressive young couple lately who told me they will leave Argentina (because of the situation here) as soon as they finish their education and they are very sad. So I said, "If you're that sad, why don't you just cross the mountains to Chile?" They said no, Argentinians can't live in Chile, there is too much prejudice against us there.

My Opthalmologist has told me he doesn't like people from Chile, several friends have told me that. My friends in Chile have also told me all about Argentina. The problem may be partly from the war over the border--I really don't know. It does seem that Chile may provide a better business environment. Also Uruguay is a great country but people consider Uruguay boring as well, by comparison. I have asked several Uruguayans who lived in Argentina for years which country they prefer. Right down to the last person they say, "For making money--Argentina; for quality of life--Uruguay." An older Argentina friend, who lived in Uruguay for years, told me the biggest mistake she and her husband have ever made was leaving Uruguay to return to Argentina. So you see, it isn't all cut and dried and what you hear on the Chile forum isn't the whole story.

Great, all your replies are very in some instances very funny and others very astute in their views or perception. I still don't know why the gringos fraternity choose to live in Argentina en masses, when things are not going too swell over there. Despite the adversity of every day livings and dealin' with people constantly saying, no problema but asking the "coimas" as the way of life..But still prefering to melt within...One of my aquitance, an Argentinean living outside of Bs As saz once to me, Che Embajador japones, The Argentineans are warm and happy bunches, we laugh alot but the Chilenos are very "Frio gentes" like the Argentinos of Mendoza.! So more voice the better in order to quash my curiosity.. Why is Argentina the melting pot of Americas for the Gringos?

There are also a ton of Chileans living in Buenos Aires, especially young folks.
1) free education (it is expensive in Chile)
2) lively arts scene (theater, film, etc) if you want to become an actor, this is the place to do it!
I remember reading an article about a group of US folks who got $40000 US in Chile to run a start up for a year. They loved it, did well, but when the year was over, moved their business to Argentina.
On a side note: not everyone is freaking out about CFK--this has been the best year for my business EVER, and I know a lot of people who are doing quite well. I was at a meeting with filmmakers from all over South America and most come to study and work here.

They out shopping like crazy in my area of Palermo and an Argentina friend told me that they try to buy stuff as soon as they get money before it will buy less. I wonder if that's why business is good. It's just a thought.

I can't understand Chileans. That's not Spanish. Also Chilean wine doesn't even come close to touching Argentinas, no even close!

What do you mean by conservatives? Is it about economics?
If so what is wrong with that? Look at the mess the progres did in here!!
Regarding chilean women, they are anything but conservatives, at least the ones I have met!!!

Chilean white wine is more than decent. In red I agree.

Chile's Sauvignon Blanc is better than Argentina's, but of course Argentina has Torrontés. I like Carmenere, but I also prefer Malbec. Some nice Syrah on the Chilean side, most notably from Montes.

Back